Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Sexual Abilities

I think that sexy time travel (or world hopping) would be an example of Trigger (Sex) rather than Accessibility (Sex), as you would not be targeting your partner (though an individual with enough capacity might be able to take along their partner). An interesting variation may be a psionic jump drive for a setting where psychic powers were only triggered by sex...
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #12
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

I always thought that "Only during sex, -25%" was silly. It's at least as bizarre and limiting as "Only when flying" and doesn't even give you the ability to travel effectively, so we use -30% for it. Some times, specific types of sex (not appropriate for family fora discussion) are explicitly defined.

We don't usually couple Aura or Emanation with it, but Blood Agent and Melee Attack, Reach C are normal. Only on specific gender gets added if it's relevant to the character or ability.

But, yeah: Healing abilities, Mind reading, Teleportation, Jumper, Afflictions of all stripes. They show up on a number of characters with sexual abilities.

But, what else would you expect from the Forum Pervert?

And, I have had to answer the question:
"Can I use Erotic Art with my Forced Entry skill?"

To which Gold & Appel, Inc. replied:
"Only if you go in through the back door."
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:36 PM   #13
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
"Paging Bueno Excellente. Bueno Excellente, please answer the pink courtesy phone in the rear..."

Striker: Pi++ (Access: Pin or Consent -20%, Nuisance: -3: Reaction -15%, Takes Extra Time x1 -20%) [4].
Though largely unrelated, you reminded me of a non-rapey supervillain character I'd designed for a 3e Supers campaign but oddly ended up using in a weird 3e fantasy game. Short-version is, among other powers based on stretching and shapeshifting, his tongue and his penis were Switchable, Stretching, Impaling Strikers.

He nearly scored a kill while I ran him as an adversary for one session of a friend's campaign due to his tongue striker. The GM invited me to drop by the old gaming group (had to leave it because of college) and let me mix my unused supervillain with a high-powered necromancer. Though both superpowers and magic were a "thing", the players were expecting a magical or necromantic attack. Even though they were suspicious of me, I was able to rely on the non-magical superpowers, romance a PC, and lure them someplace secluded for a kiss then going for a passionate (and surely fatal) kiss.

Would have gotten the kill without extreme GM intervention. To be fair, if I'd been playing more carefully, I would have learned more about the party (I only had the one session). The PC I'd selected owed some sort of debt to a powerful, watchful djinn. He used his powers teleport in and grab my character's tongue mid-stab (and remember, we were kissing so that's even more impressive than it sounds). I can't remember if the djinn liked keeping this PC in its debt, if the PC just owed it so much that this kind of rescue was nothing to it, or if the GM was just being soft. ;)
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 02-09-2019 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Switched tracks halfway through a sentence; corrected it.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #14
SimonAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
So, sexual abilities are abilities that possess some variation of Accessibily, Only during sex, -25%, usually with Blood Agent, -40%, or Contact Agent, -30%, and commonly include Accessibility, Preferred gender or sex, -20%, Aura, +80%, and Melee, C, No parry, -35% (-30% with Aura). I am curious what sexual abilities you use in your campaigns. Is it something that you are willing to touch, or is it something that you avoid with a ten foot pole?
I think "only during sex" is a perfectly good modifier but I've never played in a game where it would be appropriate nor would I generally feel comfortable running one. Its all fade to black

For a game in which sex mattered I'd use erotic arts as a catchall for "skill at sex" with techniques for any variation one might use or wish to crib from GURPS sex for say a Kushiel's Dart or Agnets of Dibella type game . I won't probably play or run such a game though

I'd also allow "once trick wonder" perk for erotic arts with a single partner, one's life mate or spouse. This is decently realistic for long married or rather amorous couples . Its a waste of a point in my games though and its something I've never had come up.
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:27 PM   #15
Plane

Quote:
So, sexual abilities are abilities that possess some variation of Accessibily, Only during sex, -25%, usually with Blood Agent, -40%, or Contact Agent, -30%, and commonly include Accessibility, Preferred gender or sex, -20%, Aura, +80%, and Melee, C, No parry, -35% (-30% with Aura). I am curious what sexual abilities you use in your campaigns. Is it something that you are willing to touch, or is it something that you avoid with a ten foot pole?
Succubus in Horror uses Contact Agent as you point out in a reply below, but I don't know of any examples where these abilities use Blood Agent.

Would two accessibilities stack to -50% or do you get diminishing returns with a -80% cap on all accessibilities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
"Paging Bueno Excellente. Bueno Excellente, please answer the pink courtesy phone in the rear..."

Striker: Pi++ (Access: Pin or Consent -20%, Nuisance: -3: Reaction -15%, Takes Extra Time x1 -20%) [4].
Pinning does not exist anymore in Technical Grappling, and I think that should just represent not getting active defenses against successful hits. Someone who is all-out attacking (or merely failing their active defense rolls) wouldn't get that counter either.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:57 PM   #16
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Pinning does not exist anymore in Technical Grappling, and I think that should just represent not getting active defenses against successful hits. Someone who is all-out attacking (or merely failing their active defense rolls) wouldn't get that counter either.
That only matters if you use Technical Grappling, though, rather than sticking with the base rules, which is what I plan to do.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #17
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Succubus in Horror uses Contact Agent as you point out in a reply below, but I don't know of any examples where these abilities use Blood Agent.

Would two accessibilities stack to -50% or do you get diminishing returns with a -80% cap on all accessibilities?
The accessibility should be "only while having sex with X gender" for a combined modifier. I wouldn't call that a -45% based on other examples in characters or powers.

Furthermore, I'd be curious why it's a blood agent and also limited to only sex. After all, what's important here: the magic of having sex or just the penetration of mucus membranes? Both doesn't really make sense other than to justify what would otherwise be overlapping discounts.

Also, I see this as more of a beneficial affliction, so while you get credit for the fact that often people won't want to have sex with you, some would have sex with you just for the ability to get powers.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:43 AM   #18
AlexanderHowl

Yeah, but do you want to have sex with them? That is the reason why consensual sex is the limiting factor rather than sex. If both participants have to want it for it to work, it is a real limitation, as you would not be able to consent to having sex outside of your gender/sexual preferences (at best, you are enduring or tolerating rather than consenting).

For example, a character with a strong gender preference of women would not be able to consent to having sex with someone who is a man or androgynous, regardless of their biological sex. Alternatively, a character with a strong sexual preference of female would not be able to consent to having sex with someone who is male or intersex, regardless of their social gender. When it came to different species, most humans probably could not consent to having ssx with nonhumans. At best, they would be tolerating the sexual experience, but they would not really be consenting to the sexual experience.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #19
Otaku

Quote:
If both participants have to want it for it to work, it is a real limitation, as you would not be able to consent to having sex outside of your gender/sexual preferences (at best, you are enduring or tolerating rather than consenting).
This does not sound anything like the dictionary definition of "consent". Is it a GURPS-based definition, or a personal one? A page reference would be greatly appreciated for the former or defining it a bit more clearly for the latter. ;)

One often gives permission or agrees to something they don't want to do for its own sake, but because it gains them some other benefit or avoids some penalty. People consent to a flu shot because they wish to reduce the chances of contracting the flu during the next year, not because they enjoy paying someone to jab a needle in their arm. "Enduring or tolerating" is still consenting; if you're talking about enjoying the activity, that's something different.

Simply put, sexual preferences shouldn't be a factor for most of what has been discussed. It is like people's reactions to needles, all jokes aside; some folks cannot stand it and won't ever willingly submit to it, even if their life is at stake. Others only consent to it if their life really is on the line; anything less, and they'll find another way or just do without. And so on and so forth down the line until you get to people who actually enjoy being jabbed. None of this should factor into the cost of paying for an infliction delivered via needle that a character may possess.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #20
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
When it came to different species, most humans probably could not consent to having ssx with nonhumans. At best, they would be tolerating the sexual experience, but they would not really be consenting to the sexual experience.
Maybe I'm not most humans, but I could probably get down with some versions of dwarf ladies... I'm only 5'9", I love a girl who can handle herself at my shoulder or back-to-back in a bar fight, stamina goes a long way...

"Bridesmaid! Love the beard! Gives me something to hang onto!" --Lord Flashheart

[Denver GURPS - Dragging threads down to that level for over a decade. We do parties and we'll be here all week.]

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 02-10-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sexual intercourse, succubus