Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-08-2006, 03:35 PM   #211
Tsuru-Sennin

Default Re: 50-point Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
Umm, isn't this a 50-point ability thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu_Hibiki
You will. =D

Oh, and consider the 75-point range as officially "Open Season".
At least I understood that he also wants 75-point abilities from now on?

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the final sanctuary of the terminally inept.
Tsuru-Sennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:08 PM   #212
Atreyu_Hibiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuru-Sennin
At least I understood that he also wants 75-point abilities from now on?
I opened up 25-pointers a while back when someone (GURPSFan or Almafeta) posted a couple 25-pointers. Then my wife gets excited about the project, we make a couple abilities, her favorite of which is a 75-pointer. I figured a lone 75-point ability would look a little silly, so I "opened season" on 75-pointers. I don't actually expect to get many of them, but if it sparks anyone's creativity, then I'm not complaining.
Atreyu_Hibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:20 PM   #213
Almafeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Hibiki
Meteor (+200%)
Crushing Attack 3D+1 (rapid fire RoF 3x4, +100%; Area Effect, 4yds, +100%; Selective Area, +20%; Costs 10FP, -50%; Overhead, +30%) [51]
Notes - Game says "non-elemental damage to all enemies.". Also this is one of the "forbidden spells" in FF8, not sure about the others
... now I think I should go back and alter my FF spell writeups... I forgot Overhead. T_T I haven't played FF8 (or any FF after 7, after playing FF7), but I'd be surprised if Fire, Ice, and Lightnings 1-3 in FF8+ weren't also 'elemental damage of choice from heaven' attacks.
Almafeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:00 AM   #214
Gurps Fan

Create Explosive Ordnance (+100%):
Crushing Attack 5d (Costs Fatigue, 3 FP, -15%; Delay, Trigger, the attacker can specify the condition, +100%; Explosive, +50%; Fragmentation, 2d, +30%; Magical, -10%; Melee Attack, Reach C, Cannot Parry, -35%; Requires IQ Roll, -10%; Takes Extra Time 1, -10%) [50]. 50 points.

Create Explosive Ordnance
Regular

Creates a bomb in the caster's hand (on a successful IQ/IQ-based skill roll). Here a "bomb" means any one form of explosive ordnance -- a grenade, antipersonnel mine, time bomb, or whatever the caster likes. The bomb remains a bomb permanently, until it goes off or someone neutralizes it by a suitable means, and the caster can't simply dismiss the bomb. Mundane EOD techniques, as well as spells that destroy magical creations, can nullify any bomb created with this spell.

Each bomb is equipped with an appropriate fuse that is triggered under a condition the caster specifies when casting. Examples include manual (some seconds after pulling the pin out), impact (when hitting the ground), pressure (when someone steps on it), time (some hours after created), proximity (when anyone come closer than some feet), or exotic triggers (when a crow caws three times while flying over the caster's house). Any one bomb does 5d cr ex [2d cut] damage. The GM determines bombs' other combat stats like weight, throwable distance, etc.

Duration: Permanent until explosion (or disposal).
Cost: 3. Cannot be reduced by high skill.
Time to Cast: 2 seconds. Cannot be reduced by high skill.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:50 PM   #215
Atreyu_Hibiki

Language Teacher (+400%): Affliction 1 (Malediction 1, +100%; Area Effect 3, +150%; Advantage, One language of choice at Native, +30%; Extended Duration, Permanent, +150%; Always On, -10%; Emanation, -20%)
Notes: Any time someone comes within 8 yards of you, they instantly and permanently learn your native tongue. You have no control over this ability, it is simply there. 50 points.
Roleplaying tips: It's likely that your character will be sought out by educational boards, or governments that need to teach large numbers of operatives your language quickly. You also could have an interesting career as an interpreter or a diplomat.
Modifying: The Always On modifier is essentially a placeholder, as it doesn't actually limit you much. It was intended to be used to note that the ability was, well, always on, but it isn't really much of a detriment to anyone's safety, health, or anything else. Feel free to remove it. If this is the case, it costs 51 points.

Quick question: Is it permissible to stack Malediction with Area Effect? I primarily want Maled. for it's "ignores DR" thing. Should I be building it with a Cosmic modifier instead?

And two more, that are not for the book, but simply a couple abilities I was toying around with:

Mana Generator (+1150%): Affliction 1 (Malediction 1, +100%; Advantage, Mana Enhancer, +500%; Permanent, +150%; Cumulative, +400%) [125]
Notes: You can imbue objects, people, and areas with the essence of magic itself! Anything you wish to 'give' magic to is simply a wish away. The item will increase the Mana Level in it's hex by one, merely by being there. You can 'stack' a target with Mana. Each successive time you use Mana Generator on the target, the Mana Level the target adds to the area will increase by +1. 125 points.

Sniper Munchkin's Friend (+550%): Toxic Attack 1 (Cosmic: Ignores DR, +300%; Triggered Delay, +50%; Symptoms, 1/2 HP, Dependency: Object Made of Silver, Constantly, Common, +100%; No Signature, +20%; RoF 6, +70%; Acc +6, +30%) [7]
Notes: Say hello to my little friend! You can stack damage onto your unassuming target from a distance, completely ignoring their DR. By delaying the effect until you've done the damage you wish to, the target has no clue they're being hurt. After stacking over half their HP worth of damage, trigger it. They will suddenly find themselves requiring the touch of an object made of silver (or other semi-rare substance of your choice) or they begin losing an additional 1 HP per minute. Virtually guaranteed to kill your target. You can fire 6 times per second, with an Acc of 9 if you aim. 7 points.
Modifying and Roleplaying Tips: There is no way that I'd allow this in a game, save the player has a very good story as to why they can do this. This was an excersize in creating small-point Innate Attacks, and I'd say it was very, very successful. The price went up from 5 points to 7 points when I switched from Malediction to Ignores DR, but who cares, right? At any rate, there's now an extra +50% worth of modifiers that could be tacked on for free...

Last edited by Atreyu_Hibiki; 05-10-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:49 AM   #216
Gurps Fan

Munchkin's Universe-shaking Nondirectional Cosmic Hyperluminal Kinetoelectromagnetic Interference Neurodisrupter (M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N.) (+5190%):

Toxic Attack 1 point (Affects Insubstantial, +20%; Area Effect, 2475880078570760549798248448 yards (about 74 gigaparsecs), +4550%; Cosmic, Irresistible attack, +300%; Emanation, -20%; Rapid Fire, RoF 300, +300%; Selective Area, +20%; Underwater, +20%) [53].

Notes: It's a cosmic attack, literally. Pulses of cosmic energy that radiate from the attacker (reaching 74 gigaparsecs in a flat second) burn out the neural system of living beings in the affected area, and remember that even the edge of our universe is "merely" about 10 gigaparsecs away from Earth. Also note that an Area Effect attack with Emanation involves no to-hit roll and simply affects anyone in the area. Furthermore, it allows victims only to dive for cover, and actually there's no effective cover since this Cosmic, Irresistible attack ignores DR. In conclusion, the user can attack every living thing in our entire universe, with 1 point of damage, 300 times per second. Have fun. 53 points.

Last edited by Gurps Fan; 05-11-2006 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Oops, the edge of our universe is 10 *gigaparsecs* away, not 10 *parsecs*.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:56 AM   #217
Almafeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan
Munchkin's Universe-shaking Nondirectional Cosmic Hyperluminal Kinetoelectromagnetic Interference Neurodisrupter (M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N.) (+5190%):

Toxic Attack 1 point (Affects Insubstantial, +20%; Area Effect, 2475880078570760549798248448 yards (about 74 gigaparsecs), +4550%; Cosmic, Irresistible attack, +300%; Emanation, -20%; Rapid Fire, RoF 300, +300%; Selective Area, +20%; Underwater, +20%) [53].

Notes: It's a cosmic attack, literally. Pulses of cosmic energy that radiate from the attacker (reaching 74 gigaparsecs in a flat second) burn out the neural system of living beings in the affected area, and remember that the edge of our universe is roughly 10 parsecs away from Earth. Also note that an Area Effect attack with Emanation involves no to-hit roll and simply affects anyone in the area. Furthermore, it allows victims only to dive for cover, and actually there's no effective cover since this Cosmic, Irresistible attack ignores DR. In conclusion, the user can attack every living thing in our universe, with 1 point of damage, 300 times per second. Have fun. 53 points.
I'm sure both Interworld and Infinity are looking to hire this man... far away from Homeline/Centrum, of course.
Almafeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:12 AM   #218
Atreyu_Hibiki

Quote:

Notes: It's a cosmic attack, literally. Pulses of cosmic energy that radiate from the attacker (reaching 74 gigaparsecs in a flat second) burn out the neural system of living beings in the affected area, and remember that the edge of our universe is roughly 10 parsecs away from Earth. Also note that an Area Effect attack with Emanation involves no to-hit roll and simply affects anyone in the area. Furthermore, it allows victims only to dive for cover, and actually there's no effective cover since this Cosmic, Irresistible attack ignores DR. In conclusion, the user can attack every living thing in our universe, with 1 point of damage, 300 times per second. Have fun. 53 points.

I do believe you have just broken my brain, sir. Bravo.

I literally began cackling when I read this.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:29 PM   #219
William

Quote:
Munchkin's Universe-shaking Nondirectional Cosmic Hyperluminal Kinetoelectromagnetic Interference Neurodisrupter (M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N.)
Heh...

...you do know he'll kill himself with that, right? Possibly a long time after killing untold other sentients, but he's in the area of effect and has no more possible resistance to the effect than any other intelligent being.

tries to look for other holes beyond "No way no how" GM fiat...
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:31 PM   #220
William

Oops, Selective Area.

Hm.
William is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurpsland, house rules, pdf, powers, sample powers