Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-15-2016, 06:26 PM   #1
Lia Valenth

Default Need help with sorcery spell - Clean the Scene

Hello all,
I am going to be starting a game based a lot in Monster Hunter. As that the players need to keep a low profile and hide evidence of the supernatural I think a spell to clean a scene of forensic evidence would be extremely useful. However I cannot think about how to build it in Sorcery. I want it to be able to,

1) Remove or damage DNA, finger prints, etc. in the area so it cannot be used to identify people who have been there.
2) Remove or damage the rifling on bullets in the area so they cannot be used to find the gun that fired them.

I also want an improved version of the spell,
Improvement 1: repairs small damage done in the area, things like bullet holes, arrow holes, or sword damage to walls and objects.
Improvement 2: repairs large damage, such as destroyed walls from using explosives.

I really have no idea where to begin. I first considered modified TK, but I'm not sure how to stat that. I am currently working on using Jumper (Time), to effectively jump the area back in time without effecting living targets. Anyone have a better idea?

Also, as that the idea is to clean a crime scene so it isn't tracked back to the PCs, is there anything I am forgetting? I intentionally don't want it removing video recordings or pictures, that will have to be done in other ways
Old 04-15-2016, 06:38 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Need help with sorcery spell - Clean the Scene

Honestly, I'd build this with TK (One Task, Removing Evidence, -40%) and then require a roll against Housekeeping to see how well you hid the evidence. Alternatively, use Obscure (Mundane Forensics) - it might require a little GM approval, but I don't see an issue with it. Each level gives a -1 to collect evidence with -10 effectively leaving no trace. You could even allow it as a mundane ability to represent someone with cinematic capabilities to clean a crime scene as they go.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:46 PM   #3
Anaraxes

Control allows you to reshape your element, removing the tool marks and so on. Might get expensive for lots of different "elements" unless you allow "trace evidence" as a Very Common category.

You might also need Create when it comes to repairing building damage.

Obscure's been mentioned. The main thing I didn't like about that is that it seems good for hiding the evidence, but not changing it if someone managed to spot it despite the Obscuration.

Assuming you can target the right items, heat would melt the bullet marks and destroy biological evidence. So, Temperature Control.

For a wacky variant, use an Area Effect Affliction of Elastic Skin onto your bullets, finger prints, etc.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:05 PM   #4
Refplace

TK is a good foundation.
I would add Accessory perk (simple tools) for scuffing bullets, samples, etc.
For your advanced version that repair damage I would go with Affliction for Regeneration. Pricey but probably doable if you were considering Jumper.

Obscure is good for hiding traces but if their found they can be used.
A really weird idea I just thought of would be based off Healing.
Add enhancements for nonliving and a nice limit for removing Trace evidence only -80% that is later bought down to heal damage.
Treat removing evidence as cleaning up a disease or repairing crippled limbs for some penalties to keep things interesting.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #5
starslayer

I would look at afflicting zeroed in an area. Then none of the evidence left behind would ever line up with existing records.

I second the afflict regeneration to repair damage but don't forget to also put 'negated disadvantage: unhealing' with it.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:24 AM   #6
Lia Valenth

Thank you all for the advise.

Considering the options presented I think I will probably go with Obscure. As GM I can rule that it "hides" the evidence by making it harder/impossible to compare properly to a database, other sample, etc. instead of making the evidence harder to find. It also allows an improved version using Stealthy to make the evidence also hard to find or completely disappear.

One problem I have with afflicting Regeneration or using Healing on objects is the ability will heal too much. For example, a 30 year old wooden chair in the area appearing brand new when it was known to have been damaged with small cuts and abrasions over the years is as problematic in many ways as not repairing the damage. Magic is supposed to be hidden in this world, so stuff repairing itself would be suspicious.

How would you limit this ability to just healing damage caused in the last X amount of time, or otherwise prevent over healing?
Old 04-16-2016, 09:49 AM   #7
Anders

How about Create: Forensic traces w. Destruction only, +0%? Presumably forensic evidence rarely weighs more than 10 lbs., so you could get away with 1 level.

Last edited by Anders; 04-16-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
How about Create: Forensic traces w. Destruction only, +0%? Presumably forensic evidence weighs more than 10 lbs., so you could get away with 1 level.
I like that idea.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sorcery