Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

View Poll Results: DFRPG Future, as whished for by Forumites
1) Just make more. 37 22.56%
2) .pdf with POD support 43 26.22%
2a) Seperate line. 10 6.10%
2b) Integrate into the DF line 67 40.85%
2c) Finish whats available, and end further production of new material. 1 0.61%
3) Simply end all further production, and place resources in other projects. 6 3.66%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #121
JMason

Default Re: The Future of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game?

It might not be a bad idea for SJG to put out a free guide that bridges the gap or prepares DFRPG players for adding in more GURPS. I know there is a Pyramid article that breaks down the GURPS DF line into what is usable, redundant, or needs extra books to use, but a think a more general guide might be nice.

This product should introduce DFRPG players to the wider GURPS and giving advice on how to parse the rules for useful bits,* along with giving a breakdown of useful products and what can be gained from them.

*Something that I think is lacking and a source of many of the complaints I hear about GURPS.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #122
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
I know there is a Pyramid article that breaks down the GURPS DF line into what is usable, redundant, or needs extra books to use
Actually, that's a (freely accessible) blog post from the community. Unless there's been a pyramid article on the topic since then.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #123
JMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Actually, that's a (freely accessible) blog post from the community. Unless there's been a pyramid article on the topic since then.
Yeah, your right. I don't know why I got it into my head that was a Pyramid article. I blame my lack of coffee.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:10 PM   #124
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
However, this is very much missing the point. This is a fandom. Like all fandoms, there's two ways to sustain one: have a very large self-reinforcing fan base and make a deep cultural impact outside the fandom (which makes recruiting easier), or continue to produce novel material to catch the attention of non-fans, re-attract ex-fans, and keep existing fans engaged.
I agree with this, but it really isn't in context with what that conversation was actually about. That the DFRPG might be unlikely to have a lot of print support isn't, to me, a sensible reason to tell people that liked it not to get it. It doesn't need a seperate print line of supplements to be a good game.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:12 AM   #125
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I agree with this, but it really isn't in context with what that conversation was actually about. That the DFRPG might be unlikely to have a lot of print support isn't, to me, a sensible reason to tell people that liked it not to get it. It doesn't need a seperate print line of supplements to be a good game.
It might be a "kids these days..." sort of thing, as it is with computer games. Back when I was a kid (in the 80s), when you bought a computer game, that was it - that was the game. Bugs? Deal with it. Limited playability? Deal with it.

Now, in the 21st century, if a computer game's developer "stops supporting" that game shortly after release, it's considered a failure and people make an effort to dissuade others from buying it. Even if the game is fine; even if it doesn't really need more content.

The latter expectation is not always realistic from an economic standpoint (and leads to larger publishers getting larger, and smaller ones getting smaller), but it's a very consumer-centric perspective. We didn't have that perspective growing up.

Consumers find it perfectly reasonable in the modern era to expect that a recently released complex RPG will have print support going forward, at least for a time. Given that this is the case now, and given that the cat isn't going anywhere close to back in the bag any time soon, I can see how it might be viewed as a lie by omission not to mention a game's support level. Your mileage may vary, of course, but this is the world we live in now.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:00 PM   #126
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The thing is, these people are looking at buying (or have bought) a game in a box, with physical things, in a bricks and mortar store.[1] A line of PDF supplements, for a lot of people, isn't the same thing. This line is becoming thinner, certainly; I'm seeing boardgames with "DLC" extra rules or cards or game pieces or whatnot. The thing is, these tend to be free one page mini supplements. Very "optional", and I'm going to hazard a guess that most of the hard-copy purchasers don't even know they exist if there isn't a flyer advertising them in the box.

How do we tell the people who walked into a game store and bought a box that they can get more books online? The boxed set isn't going to pop up notifications about the new content or email them newsletters. There's a fundamental disconnect caused by the "physical product from a third party" model.

Once we've got their attention, there's a huge hurdle: how do we convince them that the eBooks are just as cool as the physical box set? Because quite frankly, they aren't. And for a lot of people they're not even going to be "the same game".

We continue to have a bit of a problem with already established GURPS players being a bit reluctant about eBooks, and they've had to deal with the largely-electrons reality for much longer. SJG has started rolling back into POD support and I don't doubt that this is a factor.
It's only going to be worse with people who have NEVER bought an eBook supplement because they don't buy these particular products online, even assuming we can find them and tell them the pdfs exist.

[1] The kickstarter backers who got PDFs are already SJG customers, or at least the vast majority are, and will probably keep buying PDFs from SJG.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:21 PM   #127
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
I wonder if Matt Rigsby or the other writers are willing to do an informal Writing for SJGames 101
This is what I think I can usefully say about writing GURPS adventures for SJ Games.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:33 AM   #128
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
This is what I think I can usefully say about writing GURPS adventures for SJ Games.
You ought to just stick your Informal Writing Advice blog posts in your sig line for ease of reference.

[EDIT]
Or maybe start a thread with those as the first post, and the rest of the thread can be others chiming in with their suggestions. This way there is just one thread to reference in the future...
[/EDIT]
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #129
Anthony

Why does this thread keep getting bumped with no content? If this is on purpose, stop it -- either the thread is worth getting stickied, or it should be permitted to time out normally.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #130
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Why does this thread keep getting bumped with no content? If this is on purpose, stop it -- either the thread is worth getting stickied, or it should be permitted to time out normally.
Somebody voting on a poll has the same effect as adding a post. New vote = thread goes to the top.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dfrpg