Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2018, 06:13 PM   #1
Tigrah2k

Default Completely left-field question...

for my leezard man, Jarrazzs, I'm creating a warmount... based on the Allosaur... Their physiology is considerably different in form and function than a horse. Do you think it would still have the issues with limb armor that a horse does, or do you think that I could theoretically argue for a full suit of dino-plate? lol
Tigrah2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:07 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Completely left-field question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrah2k View Post
for my leezard man, Jarrazzs, I'm creating a warmount... based on the Allosaur... Their physiology is considerably different in form and function than a horse. Do you think it would still have the issues with limb armor that a horse does, or do you think that I could theoretically argue for a full suit of dino-plate? lol
You'll have 2 motive limbs with digitigrade ("toe-walking") feet.

The bottom-most section of the leg is the equivalent of the human foot from the ball to the heel with the "heel" ending up as that thing that looks like a backwards knee.

This is very dynamic and moves backwards and forwards over the whole length of the dino's longer and flatter stride compared to a human's. Almost certainly worse than making a solleret for a human so I don't think so.

The section above that is the equivalent of a human's calf and some sort of greave might be possible.

The section above that is very large and partly merged with the torso. The easiest thing to do would be to hang shield-like plates off the saddle to cover them from the sides. This could end up pretty well armored.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:01 PM   #3
whswhs

You did give the allosaur a few points of DR for its hide, right?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:10 AM   #4
Tigrah2k

Yep. Gave it a fairly high DR of 6.
Good thoughts on the armor issues with their leg structures. Fred.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:25 AM   #5
mhd

Quote:
Yep. Gave it a fairly high DR of 6.
Sounds more like an (Ti-) Alloysaurus...
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:25 AM   #6
AlexanderHowl

DR 4 is probably the highest realistic level for hide. If you want to improve their durability though 2-4 levels of Damage Reduction would not be unreasonable in my opinion. Dinosaurs were probably much tougher than mammals or avians because neither group has reached the upper end of dinosaur land creatures, and Damage Reduction would represent that toughness without having bullets bounce off their hide.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #7
Celjabba

There is a video of an experiment on chicken that were fitted with a weighted tail since out of the egg, forcing them to adapt and walk like bipedal dinausaur. Someone knowledgeable about leg armor can probably review it and assess what can be done ?
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
JoelSammallahti

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Dinosaurs were probably much tougher than mammals or avians because neither group has reached the upper end of dinosaur land creatures, and Damage Reduction would represent that toughness without having bullets bounce off their hide.
I'm sure there's any number of potential reasons for why one clade might have attained body sizes not seen in other clades in later eras. No need to assume that it must have been greater toughness. Note that by your thinking, whales should have IT:DR. Or all cetaceans? Or all artiodactyls? Or all mammals?

IT: Damage Reduction is purely a superhuman/supernatural advantage.
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #9
Tigrah2k

I toyed around with GCA, and looked at the you-built-it Low-Tech armor...
At the bottom of it are options for a couple kinds of animal barding. Using that, I built a custom suit of heavy plate that consists of arms and hands (this dino can use its arms, kinda like Indominous Rex), Caparison, and Chanfron. Net result is every slot but eyes and feet are covered with 10DR. Using Fluting, Duplex Plate, and Master Tailoring with the *10 Orichalcum resulted in an armor that weighs only 1627 Lbs, with the low low price of just $512,400,000...

Good thing this smith can create all the materials he needs... Now I just need to hire a small army of skilled smiths so it can be crafted sometime this century lol.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
You could probably make a full suit of horse-plate if horses had human level intelligence, and if it wouldn't be too heavy for the horse to move in. Neither problem will be fixed by it being an allosaurus instead.