Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:02 PM   #121
HunterS
Marketing Director

Default Re: Kickstarter - Ogre Miniatures Set 1

Update #6: $40k Stretch Goal Achieved, New Goals, And Differentiating Ogres

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1737217
HunterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #122
ParadoxGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
My four-year-old daughter would LOVE a sparkly-pink Ogre of her very own!
Would be useful for the Anarchist Relief Front.
ParadoxGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:09 PM   #123
ColBosch

Ooo, some new stretch goals! The green set looks good for non-painty folks, and a glow in the dark Ogre sounds fantastic. Plenty of time to reach the goals, too!
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:10 PM   #124
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
Would be useful for the Anarchist Relief Front.
As any parent of toddlers will attest, my (any) four-year-old daughter /is/ the Anarchist Relief Front. :)
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #125
FJCestero

Can't say I'm thrilled with the GITD Ogre stretch goal, to be honest. Gimmicky.

Now offer me a regular color Mark-III-B (or Mark-I, or Mark-II, or ...), or GITD mushroom clouds -- now we're talking! Any hope for a change?

Heck, I'd trade the GITD Ogre stretch goal for a commitment to make future Combine units in a heartbeat.
FJCestero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #126
HeatDeath

The truism on plastic miniatures is the first one you make costs 20 thousand dollars and the second one costs five cents. I have no idea what the real dollar value is, but I know it has zeroes on the end.

[Come to think of it, we're probably only getting plastic Ogre miniatures at all because the Car Wars 6e line, which is reasonably hoped to be a major seller, on the order of an FF miniatures line (X-Wing, Star Trek, Armada, etc), is going to be heavily miniatures based, and SJG may be getting a volume discount on the tooling. Thank you Car Wars!]

SJG's stretch goals are very canny indeed - these colored units cost them almost nothing, relatively speaking. And that's an excellent thing.

That's what you have to do with Kickstarter stretch goals. Anything requiring commitment to new tooling would be extremely risky, financially speaking. Stretch goal costs have sunk many a project. Heck, SJG themselves are still digging out from ODE, so don't think that lesson wasn't learned and learned well. Goals that are fun and compelling while not breaking the bank are a much better strategy (a la the PDF stretch goals from Car Wars Arenas). Go, Green Team!

[And no, nothing about this post is to be construed as complaining in any way.]

Last edited by HeatDeath; 11-14-2016 at 07:18 PM.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:19 PM   #127
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJCestero View Post
Can't say I'm thrilled with the GITD Ogre stretch goal, to be honest. Gimmicky.
Of the lot, that one is my favorite. I wish it were earlier than the others. "Would you like the red ogre today?" "No. Today is a good day to glow."

I was going to spring for just two sets, but maybe I can justify four somehow...

FJCestero, I'll swap you a red ogre for your GITD if it comes to that. Or I can try my hand at making a GITD mushroom cloud and trade that.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:29 PM   #128
Mack_JB

Heck, the GITD Ogre can be used to represent the elusive and mysterious Ninja, the thing so arcane as to be unseen ....

It's gimmicky, yes, but you know what? That GITD Ogre will likely take up permanent residence on my desk!
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:42 PM   #129
Dave Crowell

GITD plastic will likely take primer and paint as well as red, blue and hunter green.

I like the idea. I will probably use mine as a novelty desk ornament. I don't think my family would let me hang it on the Christmas Tree.

Offering additional colours is a great idea for stretch goals as it uses the existing tooling. I would really like to see the other basic armour units, the ones that will be in Reinforcements, and Combine GEVs. But I expect this set will have to sell very well before a chance of seeing that. And a MK IV would be nice.

I don't care if we get a full set of NAC armour and infantry. I have played for decades with the Winch Chung counter designs. But teh Combine GEV is such a nice design. I would buy a box or three of those.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:42 PM   #130
dwalend

Any chance of adding extra ogre maps to the list of add-ons? I'd like to pick up two for a tournament kit, but have more than enough counters from ODE (and minis from this kickstarter).
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote