Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 06-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
ShowMeGamer

Default Balseraph Resonance/Dissonance Clarification

I've read the core book's description and Game Mechanics section a dozen times, but I'm still not clear on how this works. Does the Balseraph simply have to be internally consistent in his lies? Or does he need to construct and entire subjective worldview that justifies them?
ShowMeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #2
Whitelaughter

Default Re: Balseraph Resonance/Dissonance Clarification

I've always run it as the Balseraph is creating the worldview as they go along, so the player doesn't need to; I would expect a player to provide a weasel to justify an internal contradiction though.
Whether what I've been doing is accurate to the rules though....
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:00 PM   #3
ShowMeGamer

That sounds reasonable. It seems like a big ask for a player to have to come up with a fully formed alternate worldview before play even begins.
ShowMeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
thorr-kan

The resonance examples are for immediate rationalization.

Though it fits Bals's personalities to have some wackadoodle theory they believe...
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:55 PM   #5
Jason

If I remember correctly, the Infernal Players Guide discusses this a bit. Long story short: They have BOTH the ability to create an entire worldview (and get a big bonus to check digit for it), and the ability to improvise shorter-term lies (which don't have to connect to anything else at all). The problem with the former approach, the IPG explains, is that it makes the balseraph more vulnerable to dissonance, but they can mitigate this by (a) repeatedly attempting to resonate on someone until they're thoroughly convinced, even if they rejected the lie before, (b) actually working to make the real world match the lie, or (c) resonating on themselves to convince themselves they never actually got caught in their own lies (yes, really), easing the dissonance in time.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote