Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #1
FJCestero

Default Ogre Musings

I'm thinking about perhaps maybe submitting an article to Drew & Ogrezine but wanted to get some feedback in case it's just me.

It's basically about the balance between guns and treads on our favorite turing-grade rolling apocalypses.

Now mostly I play the basic scenario with a Mark-III on the orange map. There's a command post that needs killing and the defender has to choose between the weapons killing him now, and the treads that will buy him more time to kill the Ogre later... decisions, decisions.

But on the green maps, or fighting 'open' battles where there's no time/space pressure to force attacks on treads -- it all goes to guns (and past that point the treads just go poof!). For a Mk-III that's 48 attack points to (statistically) destroy one Main and four Secondaries versus the 135 points to strip the treads.

So, are Ogres in general over-treaded? I mean, for non-kill-the-command-post missions, or would it make sense for an Ogre Mark armed like the Three, but having 30-36 treads (and around 80-90 VPs) because it's better balanced for general combat? Even if for no other reason that the few treads make slowing it down that much easier -- thus pulling attacks away from guns.

Would not the ideal General Combat Ogre offer equal reason to attack guns and treads equally and thus have them reach zero at the same time...?

Or is this all just a case of my personal Ogre echo-chamber and I need to get out more?

P.S.: This is still congealing slowly in my brain -- if that wasn't already apparent.
P.P.S.: Hey Drew, it's not that I haven't been trying -- it just took me a while to think of something with potential. Still dunno.
FJCestero is offline   Reply With Quote