Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
tbeard1999

Default Speedpainting Ogre Minis Tutorial #2

This is a tutorial that doesn’t use an airbrush. 25 minis in 105 minutes.

http://texaswargamer.com/speed-paint...e-miniatures-2
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Re: Speedpainting Ogre Minis Tutorial #2

Amazing.

Might be a good idea to repeat the formula for magic black wash.

Do you have a goal for overall army size?
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Amazing.

Might be a good idea to repeat the formula for magic black wash.

Do you have a goal for overall army size?
Thanks. I think I put the formula in one of my tutorials. I’ll dig it out and add it.

I haven’t set any goals for army size. Frankly, the price of Ogre minis is so ridiculously reasonable (thank you) that I’ll probably just keep adding models and trying new techniques and paint schemes. This particular tutorial was for ColBosch - it doesn’t use an airbrush.

I’m gonna try to do a set that takes 3 minutes or less per model at some point. We’ll see about that...
Old 01-28-2018, 03:11 PM   #4
ColBosch

Thanks! Next set I do, I'll time each step and see how my technique measures up to yours. I suspect that mine takes longer, due to the multiple drybrush stages, but I really like having the sharp highlights.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:17 PM   #5
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
Thanks! Next set I do, I'll time each step and see how my technique measures up to yours. I suspect that mine takes longer, due to the multiple drybrush stages, but I really like having the sharp highlights.
Interestingly, your drybrush techniques have intrigued me. They really produce good looking minis. I think I’ll try them on the next batch I paint.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:45 PM   #6
Mack_JB

Not to hijack, but my preferred wash is Fiebing's black shoe leather dye, diluted about 85 or 90% in denatured alcohol. I suspect it would play heck with acrylic paints before they are hard cured though.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:57 AM   #7
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
Not to hijack, but my preferred wash is Fiebing's black shoe leather dye, diluted about 85 or 90% in denatured alcohol. I suspect it would play heck with acrylic paints before they are hard cured though.
One of the reasons I prefer Army Painter is because their specific formulation strips off very easily. Some brands, even nominal acrylics like older Games Workshop and Tamiya, wear relatively quickly but are absolute beasts to strip. If I mess up with AP, I know that a quick dunk in acetone (for metal) or a few sprays with Simple Green (for most plastics) and a scrub with an old toothbrush will get it right back off again.

But I digress. tbeard, I'm going to finish up a few pieces later today, then I'll do a speedpainting session with a bunch of my metal Combine minis. I've combined the units from Deluxe Ogre with three expansion sets and a Ral Partha blister pack, giving me 35 conventional units, 7 three-squad infantry stands, 3 two-squad infantry, 3 one-squad infantry, 6 cargo pallets, and three Ogres (one each, Mk. I to Mk. III). They're all getting a green-on-green camo scheme based on the Cold War NATO MERDC "Summer Verdant" pattern.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:20 PM   #8
CON_Troll

OMG, THANK you, tbeard! This is exactly what I need. My friend needed an airbrush for his new work as a model-maker for Imagineering, so I gave him mine and the compressor since he was already used to using it. Frankly, I was simply having too much trouble controlling the double-action.

But this! If I can achieve even half the speed and half the good painting result, I will be a very happy camper. Thanks again!

Last edited by CON_Troll; 01-29-2018 at 05:34 PM. Reason: grammar.
CON_Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #9
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON_Troll View Post
OMG, THANK you, tbeard! This is exactly what I need. My friend needed an airbrush for his new work as a model-maker for Imagineering, so I gave him mine and the compressor since he was already used to using it. Frankly, I was simply having too much trouble controlling the double-action.

But this! If I can achieve even half the speed and half the good painting result, I will be a very happy camper. Thanks again!
Thanks for the kind words. A single action airbrush will do the most important things that we’d use an airbrush for - laying down a nice base coat. The airbrushed camouflage schemes look nice, but they aren’t really very realistic considering the scale (1/285). They take me a little less time, though, maybe 10 minutes with 25 models. Not much of a savings really.

And yeah, I struggle with a double action airbrush as well.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:16 PM   #10
ColBosch

Airbrushed camo schemes look great, but generally aren't realistic at most scales. Most real camo on armored vehicles has sharp edges between colors.