Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Board and Dice Games

Old 04-01-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
KDLadage

Default Monopoly: Watch it Played video

This is an April Fools joke (obviously), but Rodney does it completely straight.

There is one joke in there about the value of Canadian money. Other than that... this is just funny as heck because he is teaching Monopoly, of all things!

Watch it Played
KDLadage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:10 PM   #2
43Supporter

Default Re: Monopoly: Watch it Played video

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDLadage View Post
This is an April Fools joke (obviously), but Rodney does it completely straight.

There is one joke in there about the value of Canadian money. Other than that... this is just funny as heck because he is teaching Monopoly, of all things!

Watch it Played
I wonder if I should make a video of "_Car Wars: Monopoly_". (Yes, I actually have rules for it. >:) )

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:08 AM   #3
davester64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
I wonder if I should make a video of "_Car Wars: Monopoly_". (Yes, I actually have rules for it. >:) )
I admit, I am intrigued by the idea. Is it legit?
davester64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester64 View Post
I admit, I am intrigued by the idea. Is it legit?
Well, if by "legit", you mean "do I have Actual Rules for it": Yes. I've never *printed* them, as between SJG and Hasbro... well, I try to avoid courtrooms whenever possible. :)

Short Version is: One applies one's earnings in the _Monopoly_ part of the game either toward normal Property development, *or* towards one's duelling force (usually a car, but can be a mob of Peds). As players develop Property, one can attempt to destroy said developments, rather than pony up rent. The central area of the _Monopoly_ gameboard is the "combat area", with the dashed areas for the cards representing any buildings. (Combat is very-close-ranged; against buildings -- +10 to-hit -- it gets really bloody, really fast.)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:22 AM   #5
Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDLadage View Post

Watch it Played
Well he mentioned the auctioning rules at around the 5:00 mark - good enough for me. It's one of the most disregarded rules in the game, and can turn a 2-hour game into a 4-hour borefest.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:35 PM   #6
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
Well he mentioned the auctioning rules at around the 5:00 mark - good enough for me. It's one of the most disregarded rules in the game, and can turn a 2-hour game into a 4-hour borefest.
Coupled with the $500 for landing on Free Parking "rule."
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:32 AM   #7
Anaraxes

When I was a kid, we invented some RPG-style combat rules for "Combat Clue", which allowed you to use all those murder weapons scattered around the board on other characters. You could win the game by figuring out who the murder was, as usual -- or if you were the murderer, or just suspected you were a murder, or were jealous of someone getting too far ahead in figuring out the killer, you could try to kill off the other characters with the candlestick, rope, etc. And of course once someone fingered you as the original murderer, you had nothing to lose by trying to get the detective before they can turn you in, as they can only hang you once.

Hidden movement rules with a GM. Beware of line-of-sight, as if someone could see you attack another character, you'd also be guilty and could be turned over to the police-- if any of the witness survived, of course. Using the pistol let everyone in the mansion know someone was being attacked (and someone was doing some attacking) when suddenly, a shot rang out, but at least it was a ranged weapon, so you could shoot people trying to run away down the halls without having to get next to them or chase them around corners into who-knows-what. Last pawn standing was the automatic victor, fingering whoever they liked as the killer(s) responsible for all the deaths. Or a remaining group of peaceful people could just let someone ID the original killer (alive or not).

The hardcore version keeps the standard rule that lets you summon people to your room when you make an accusation. Being in a room by yourself is both dangerous and suspicious. Travel in packs.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote