Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-21-2016, 03:21 PM   #11
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Ultra tech proximity rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
I agree. I'm just saying for terms of " I want to peper this area here with fragmentation damage centered on this area"

I can do that. Then if the user wanted all of them to drop on target X, he/she can. But they don't have to.
Ah, yeah. A bit generous but interesting.

Was the 3 yard radius a function of something about the example, or just a constant value?
Old 01-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
You know who I bet has some rules for this? Sir_pudding. Any one know how to pop marker smoke for him to call fire on for this?
There's currently a "Combat" Pyramid theme on the Wishlist and I'm currently working on an article that might address some of these concerns, at least for TL6-8 artillery. One of my goals is to provide a quick way to resolve damage to targets located within the sheaf.

That said, the regular scatter rules are much too short ranged for artillery fire, where a "direct hit" is defined as within 25 meters. The rules in the Using Artillery box in GURPS High Tech only worry about missed rounds on a critical failure, which is probably a really good way to approach the problem, unless you are adjusting fire in an urban area and worried about collateral damage or similar.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 01-21-2017 at 08:10 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:49 PM   #13
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Would you have any thoughts on PCs surviving the beaten zone for that article?
Old 01-24-2017, 09:10 AM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
Would you have any thoughts on PCs surviving the beaten zone for that article?
Well with artillery it's a "sheaf"; "beaten zone" is usually for suppression by MG fire anjd yes I am trying to streamline the rules so that you aren't rolling damage for multiple rounds in effect and fragments but rather can just resolve it with 2-4 rolls.

Note that surviving on-target fires for effect by even light mortars without cover is unlikely; at least not without significant injury..This is why digging in is important and also why the response to incoming is to hit the deck.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:21 PM   #15
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Note that surviving on-target fires for effect by even light mortars without cover is unlikely; at least not without significant injury..This is why digging in is important and also why the response to incoming is to hit the deck.
Of course, in GURPS we tend to want to be able to determine what that would do to a superhero, a dragon, a battle robot, and a vampire, not just what it would do to a human.

Tags
ammunition, guns, ultra tech