Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-28-2021, 12:47 AM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: Combat - Quick Contest of Attack vs Active Defense

There should probably just be some advantage that says "counts as a weapon". Perhaps something like a Cosmic on claws.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:10 AM   #12
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
There should probably just be some advantage that says "counts as a weapon".
This is common, as is decent DR on strikers.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:06 AM   #13
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
There should probably just be some advantage that says "counts as a weapon". Perhaps something like a Cosmic on claws.
Isn't it automatic? I thought strikers, claws, teeth and other "natural weapons" counted as weapons for these rules, as did anything with DR2 or more on it.

True I don't see it mentioned any of the obvious places. Maybe it's a 3e holdover or a house rule we've used forever? I'm certainly not changing it. The Parrying Unarmed Attacks rule is pretty clearly intended for people attacking you with squishy bits like bare limbs. Though if you allow Aggressive Parry, that should works on natural weapons just as well as artificial ones, and makes the difference much less an issue.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:14 AM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Isn't it automatic? I thought strikers, claws, teeth and other "natural weapons" counted as weapons for these rules, as did anything with DR2 or more on it.
Strikers do. The rest do not (except for innate attacks and the natural weapons pyramid article).
Old 01-07-2022, 02:15 PM   #15
Tuk the Weekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBuddah View Post
In preparation for tomorrow's game, my wife and I ran through the first encounter of "I Smell a Rat." She was playing the Swashbuckler, and I was playing a Giant Spider.

She wiped the floor with the Spider - the Spider didn't land a single hit.

If anyone has any additional insights into tuning this combat tonight or tomorrow morning, I would be most appreciative.
Have you considered changing the tactics used by the spiders? Not all spiders are active hunters that rush their prey, like typical jumping spiders, or ambush, sting, then wrap their prey, like typical wolf spiders. Interesting options include:
  • Bola spiders - they spin a line of silk with a sticky blob at the end of the line. They 'throw' the blob at prey, then reel them into close combat for the stinging.
  • Net-casters - some spiders pre-spin a small net between their front legs, then lie in wait to attack prey. They lunge forward to net the prey, then bite the prey when snagged in the net.
  • Trap-door spiders - they hide in pits in the floor, covered by web-silk that has detritus (leaves, dirt, whatever is in the environment) stuck to it to make it look like the ground. When the victim trips a signal line, the spider attacks from its hiding place.
  • Deceptive spiders - some spiders mimic the movements of prey to attract other spiders and then lunge at them when they think they are attacking their prey. Other spiders are known to spin 'decoy spiders' out of silk to sit in their webs and attract predators whom they themselves sneak attack.

These are all different tactics used by real-world spiders that you could exploit. Perhaps you could have a 'deceptive' spider use both a decoy spider made of silk and the desiccated body of a former adventurer, positioning the corpse to look like it is getting attacked by the decoy. The party attacks the decoy, and their weapons get stuck in the web of the decoy. Then the 'deceptive' spider drops from the ceiling/canopy where they were hiding, manipulating the web movements of the decoys like a puppeteer.

Perhaps the spiders work in concert with some creature that can mimic sounds (like the real-life lyrebirds) who could mimic the sounds of people being attacked (including would effects and screams) who then share in the spoils. The sounds make the decoy trap that much more effective. There are some, admittedly not a lot, of interspecific cooperative hunters in the real world, so you aren't required to make either animal highly intelligent or their species to make it work.

Good luck!
Tuk the Weekah is offline   Reply With Quote