Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-07-2021, 12:38 PM   #51
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: A Bestiary Approaches for Nordlond and the DFRPG

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/3380470

A generous backer just pumped in enough to push the project to 176 pages...but Kickstarter didn't allocate the full boost to the total

I have contacted Kickstarter and told them to knock it the h**l off, because folks are looking (rightly!) at page count for the pledge value and this is an important step

Last edited by DouglasCole; 12-07-2021 at 12:50 PM.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:54 PM   #52
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
I've noticed on the previews that Control Points are quite comfortable in the stat block. It makes me wonder: will I have trouble using the book without the Fantastic Dungeon Grappling? As much as I'd love to give it a go, my effort last time I ran DFRPG and GURPS was focused on cutting crunch and bookkeeping to better suit my players.
For what it's worth, I've been using Gaming Ballistic stat blocks without FDG for years now without any trouble. I like FDG, myself, but my players were new to DFRPG and couldn't handle another subsystem.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:01 PM   #53
DouglasCole

A Surge! A Palpable Surge! (With apologies to Hamlet)

From a project looking a bit "meh" suddenly we are threatening to unlock the 196-page goal.

I mean, really. Between Kickstarter glitching and lagging by $1300-$1800 (ow, muh ulcers!) and now being less than $1500 from the NEXT stretch goal at $50,000 for 192 pages...

Things are getting very interesting, and still with five hours to go.

Following Not Backed

There are still over four hundred people who are following this campaign who have not yet backed.

Not only could we conceivably unlock all the stretch goals, if we get close you can bet your buttons we'll start seeing TFT folks start throwing in $15 or more to get that TFT conversion.

So if you're following ... you really have the fate of the campaign in your hands at the moment. If about 180 people come over...we get a 240 page book.

Remember: if we (and much like the Spartans in 300, such wild hopes..., though perhaps that isn't the model I want to use here? My wife would like me to get some of those abs) do hit that $73K stretch goal, everyone who has pledged at least $15 at any level, including "follow the campaign," gets the TFT PDF as part of their pledge.

New Foundry VTT Examples
Nick and Nose have been busy. They sent me these screen-shots of the Foundry VTT monster card presentation.

You can't see them here, as I can't attach images.

But You Can See Them Here
Old 12-07-2021, 04:59 PM   #54
DouglasCole

HOLY MOTHER OF MEGAZON!! We just hit 192 pages

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/3380672

Dinosaurs next, ya know.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:40 PM   #55
DouglasCole

Wow. What a freakin' day. So awesome.

Tomorrow there's no rest for the wicked, and I'm chatting with ShipQuest in the UK talking international shipping. If I have any good news, I'll pass it on.

But here are some stats:
  • We raised $52,223. This outperforms my prior best Kickstarter (Four Perilous Journeys) by about $12,000. We raised more funds during this Kickstarter than 4PJ did*including the Backerkit phase.
  • We had 685 actual backers. This outperforms the best DFRPG Kickstarter (Nordvorn) at 600 and the best prior project of mine (again, Four Perilous Journeys) at 608.
  • The average pledge was $76.24, beating the next contender (Delvers to Grow) which was $69.19 handily
  • The project finished with 773 followers and a 50% conversion rate of followers to backers. That conversion rate is five full percentage points higher than my best prior project, and even 45% was super-high. My low was on the order of 20%, so again: really, really good.
  • We funded, and hit four of seven stretch goals. We*almost*hit five. That's 192 pages...so even GURPS Horror is smaller (I always thought of it as a stealth bestiary).

This was solid. Now I have to do my Management Fu thing.

First order of business after I chat with ShipQuest and a few other international fulfillment folks is to get solid quotes from various printers, and really dig in on getting these monsters done. I can also start queueing up the art, which will make my art team happy.

For now, I'm going to go have something to drink.

Thanks again, folks. You turned this from something that looked pretty grim through all of November into the best campaign I've ever run. I'll make you a great book.
Old 12-15-2021, 02:48 PM   #56
Michael Thayne

This feels slightly obvious, but I just did the math and the total page count of Monsters, Monsters 2, and the chapter of Companion 2 dedicated to monsters is only 127 pages. So this is more than a 150% increase in how many pages-of-bestiary we have! Pretty cool if you ask me.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 03:01 PM   #57
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
This feels slightly obvious, but I just did the math and the total page count of Monsters, Monsters 2, and the chapter of Companion 2 dedicated to monsters is only 127 pages. So this is more than a 150% increase in how many pages-of-bestiary we have! Pretty cool if you ask me.
I hope folks find it compelling. In a week (ish) I'll be opening up Backerkit I hope, and at that point folks who missed the Kickstarter or don't like crowdfunding (on any particular platform or any of them) will be able to order the book. It's going to print in the EU so - at this point - just that book is available worldwide.

If this changes (such that I find a way to get more of my material able to ship worldwide) I'll let you know.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:41 AM   #58
DouglasCole

International Shipping Update: Anything for Anyone, Anywhere

I was not expecting to be able to make this announcement. But I never really give up on International Shipping, only reluctantly make campaign-specific decisions. I WANT everyone to be able to get my stuff.

But after a lot of chatting with Nord Games (USA) and ShipQuest (UK), I'm pleased to announce that when the Backerkit Survey goes out in a week or so, international customers will be able to
  • Switch pledge levels to any of those currently available.
  • Add on any of the products that will be listed to your order

As this implies, I will not be doing fulfillment out of my basement.

Both Nord and Gaming Ballistic have the same philosophy when it comes to shipping: Make it as close to a pass-through as possible. So this is excellent. Even better, ShipQuest UK is a VAT agent under iOSS (or will be by the time the books start moving). So THAT part of the decision - which was and is a legit reason to not do international shipping of books and stuff - no longer applies.

The logistics chain provided by Nord and ShipQuest is, quite simply, better than what I was able to do on my own. I couldn't speak confidently to this during the campaign, because I didn't have enough information about who, what, how many, and how much. I know how much ShipQuest spent to become a registered VAT agent, and that was simply not going to happen for me.

But...now the game is afoot.

That does not mean shipping will be cheap or we'll be happy about the rates. We know we will not be happy. But they're better than I was looking at on my own, and the ability to move boxes of my old inventory to stage for international backers, plus a more experienced staff when it comes to working with VAT + Backerkit...I think we can get this done.

Sorry for not being able to lead with this, but hopefully "delayed" is better than "not at all."
Old 12-23-2021, 07:56 AM   #59
Juan

Just updated the pledge to get my dead tree book home.

I want to thank you, Douglas, for the effort to make it affordable.
I am pretty sure we are going to enjoy the content very much!

Last edited by Juan; 12-23-2021 at 10:16 AM.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:23 PM   #60
Refplace

A sneak peak review.
https://refplace.blogspot.com/2022/0...-bestiary.html
I am unsurprisingly impressed :) Yet pleasantly surprised at some of the new content.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote