Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
Henchman99942

Default Magic questions - Vertical distance theme.

If a mage is 100 yards above the intended target of a regular spell, are they 100 yards away or in the same hex?

If a mage is 1000 yards above the ground and recharging a power stone, does their stone compete with someone standing on the ground right under them?

If a mage casts mystic mist while sitting in a flying ship a mile off the ground, does the mist form around the boat or on the ground? How deep (height) is the mist? Is it a rectangular block or sphere or hemisphere (if on the ground)?

What are the effects of other area spells when cast on a flying carpet or something similar (like the aforementioned flying boat)?

Is there a way to use the staff spell or something like it to extend the reach of a mage's spell (negating range modifiers for regular spells) cast upon a rope that is extended toward your target?

These and many other question plague my campaign.
Henchman99942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Magic questions - Vertical distance theme.

Vertical distance matters.

Anything that normally centers on the mage or a specific target is still centered on that target.

It may require a variant of the Staff spell, but I guess a rope could be enchanted in a similar manner.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
vierasmarius

As discussed by Kromm in this post, a hex is 4 yards tall for the purpose of Area effects, though some spells make exceptions to this. For the purpose of range to target however I'd use the actual range in yards, not the number of hexes away.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
The Benj

Yes, vertical distance is counted in the distance.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #5
Mathulhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
As discussed by Kromm in this post, a hex is 4 yards tall for the purpose of Area effects, though some spells make exceptions to this. For the purpose of range to target however I'd use the actual range in yards, not the number of hexes away.
Huh, I learn something every day. I always assumed areas were spherical, lines between two points were straight and measurable, and hexes are simply an approximation to facilitate measurement.
The rule that spells are 4 yards tall will prevent a few GM decisions in the future.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #6
Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathulhu View Post
Huh, I learn something every day. I always assumed areas were spherical
That would be really inconvenient to game out, even if it feels more true to life, which is why they're approximately cylindrical. Much easier to figure out whether or not someone is in the area!
Quote:
lines between two points were straight and measurable,
I think they still are, though you may sometimes need the Pythagorean Theorem...
Quote:
and hexes are simply an approximation to facilitate measurement.
They most certainly are, and you should only use them in Tactical Combat!
Quote:
The rule that spells are 4 yards tall will prevent a few GM decisions in the future.
Magic pp. 5-15 is your friend. I have seen a great many questions on the forums that could have been answered by a careful re-reading of those pages.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Henchman99942

OK

Then how about a mana pool? Suppose you have multiple mages trying to use the same mana pool who are different distances from the "ground". In fact, the pool is surrounded by a very very large tower AND it can be passed over by flying ships. AND there are different levels above (in the tower) and below (tunnels or deep levels under the tower) the normal "ground" level.

In my world, I am making mana come about as the result of interactions between emissions from the sun (Neutrinos) and special 'mana geodes' located deep below the surface. Directly above the mana geodes are these mana pools. Mana is not a direct line of sight emission from the sun through the geode, but instead an energy field produced by the geode because of the neutrino interaction. The geodes 'resonate' producing mana. The area directly above the geode is a mana pool because these geodes DO form direct line of sight energy waves with the CORE at the center of the planet. And this feeds back to the surface through the geode. The geodes naturally migrate to depths where this resonance is strongest. Earth Elementals are able to move the geodes (with a collective effort) around under the surface of the planet. This is why mana levels and mana pools will remain stationary for 1000's of years and then shift one day. I was thinking of making the geodes themselves be actual great living earth elemental like beasts that wake up every once in a while and wander around trying to find a more comfortable place to sleep. (Apparently wizards making use of the mana pools for long periods of time set up distortions in the waves that irritate and wake up the elemental geode beasts.) I was thinking of making the pool itself a very tall rounded and tapered cylinder or splinter representing the "point" where the wave breaks the surface. Or maybe it would make more sense to have 'nodes' or points regularly spaced vertically above the geode where components of the wave constructively interfere. Then you would have many circles of mages using multiple 'pools' of mana within the same "hex".

Again, all this is well outside the basic rules provided in GURPS. So I can do whatever I want and call it fun. But I would like some general input from GMs who have tackled similar problems in past campaigns.

Thanks for your time.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
gilbertocarlos

The 4y tall hex is just to have a ceiling high enough to don't disturb gameplay.

If we had a 1 hex height it would be a problem, frex:
I jump on the table, now, the spell won't affect me.
The ground has an inclination of 30º, if the radius is 5y, the guy on the top wouldn't be affected by the power.
People would simply jump through a wall of fire 3' tall
The smoking gas? no problem, I'm 5'9", the smoking gas has a reach is 3'.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
Henchman99942

For magic effects, I like the sphere or hemisphere solution. That is logical to me. And I really don't see any problems dealing with that in game play. How many overlapping area spells are active at any one time?

Height = (h^2 - x^2)^.5 -where h=height of spell, x=distance from center

Thrown distance and explosive damage require more calculations than this.

And only becomes a factor for normal play when people are near the edge of the zone.

THAT would allow a mana pool to be limited vertically the same amount it is limited horizontally.

I am not looking for a "right" answer, I am just curious what people were using in their own games.

8^}
Old 10-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman99942 View Post
THAT would allow a mana pool to be limited vertically the same amount it is limited horizontally.
That would appear to make a 1 hex mana pool lying on the ground only affect items 18" above the ground.

Or if you carry one you can never have your magic boots and magic helmet getting boosted at the same time. Unless maybe you're sitting on your helmet.

A little too literal for my tastes, much like the ruling on "Dome" spells.

Tags
magic, rules