Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-30-2010, 11:16 PM   #11
Edges

Default Re: Breaking down High Pain Threshold

You could say that if the pain Affliction is countered by a HT roll (like a normal affliction), it benefits from Kromm's #2 and if it's countered by a Will roll (like a Malediction), it benefits from Kromms #3. Other attributes would use whichever makes most sense.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:27 AM   #12
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Remind me, how do Partial Injuries interact with HPT?
Old 07-31-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Resistance View Post
How would you price the individual components of this Advantage? I want to create someone that's experienced at dealing with pain, but isn't as inured against it's effects as a true survivor of a harsh lifestyle.
High Pain Threshold doesn't have components. It only does one thing.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:56 AM   #14
Vaevictis Asmadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
You could say that if the pain Affliction is countered by a HT roll (like a normal affliction), it benefits from Kromm's #2 and if it's countered by a Will roll (like a Malediction), it benefits from Kromms #3. Other attributes would use whichever makes most sense.
I was thinking that #2 allows you to reduce pain Affliction penalties to ST, DX, and HT rolls and physical skills, while #3 lets you reduce pain Affliction penalties to IQ and mental skills. It may even be possible to level the reduction effects.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:26 PM   #15
Edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
I was thinking that #2 allows you to reduce pain Affliction penalties to ST, DX, and HT rolls and physical skills, while #3 lets you reduce pain Affliction penalties to IQ and mental skills. It may even be possible to level the reduction effects.
You could go with that too.

For me, I think I prefer to base it off of the resisting attribute rather than the effected trait. The mental pain induced by someone's psionic malediction may reduces someones ST. But IMO, the target with the "high mental pain threshold" should be able to resist it more readily than the guy with "high physical pain threshold." YMMV
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #16
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Remind me, how do Partial Injuries interact with HPT?
As Kromm pointed out, High Pain Threshold can be viewed as a sort of meta-trait: the combination of Ignores Shock 4 [4], Resistant to Physical Effects of Pain (+3) [3], and Resistant to Psychological Effects of Pain (+3) [3].

It can be safely said that pain-related affliction (and other hostile effects) have the inherent restriction: "penalty values are halved when against HPT". HPT has the Ignores Shock, RtPhEP and RtPsEP components, and while Ignores Shock compensates short-term effects of pain ("shock" in GURPS terms), RtPhEP and RtPsEP affects ongoing, long-term pain. RtPhEP covers physical aspects -- DX, HT, and ST -- and RtPsEP physcological -- IQ, Per, and Will.

The Partial Injuries rules on p. 136 of Martial Arts introduces various effects, but they fall into only two categories: (1) -n penalties to DX and (2) Will rolls to tolerate pain. There's no difficulty in saying that RtPhEP halves the numerical values of penalties and that RtPsEP gives bonuses to Will rolls.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:39 AM   #17
Jeminai

I had an issue with this as well, especially when I had a character want to purchase this advantage during play. I just could not see him having no benefits from HPT today and having them all tomorrow. (It was not a good time for down time either)

First thing I did was I changed the Shock rule penalties to max out at -5 instead of -4. These are exerpts from my house rules:

High Pain Threshold (B 59): This advantage is split into 5 levels for 2 points each. Each level negates 1 point of shock penalty. Levels 1, 3 and 5 impart a cumulative +1 to resist knockdown, stunning (B 420) and physical torture. No more than 5 levels can be purchased.

Shock Penalty (B 419): Maximum penalty is -5 instead of -4

I probably will get a lot of flak for making this change, but it has been working for a while and it represents the gaining of High Pain Threshold as one becomes tougher. Many of my players have opted to start out fighters with Level 1 or 2 and raise it during play as they get hurt and deal with it more and more.

Tell me what you think and let the bashing begin ;)
Old 08-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #18
The Resistance
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post
Shock Penalty (B 419): Maximum penalty is -5 instead of -4

I probably will get a lot of flak for making this change, but it has been working for a while and it represents the gaining of High Pain Threshold as one becomes tougher. Many of my players have opted to start out fighters with Level 1 or 2 and raise it during play as they get hurt and deal with it more and more.

Tell me what you think and let the bashing begin ;)
I assume that interacts normally with the Groin Hit Location?
The Resistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #19
Jeminai

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
High Pain Threshold doesn't have components. It only does one thing.
Originally Posted by Kromm

Game Geekery: Viewing High Pain Threshold [10] this way:
Ignores Shock 4 [4], where Ignores Shock 1-4 [1/level] is a leveled perk that cancels the -1 to -4 to DX a second after you're wounded.
Resistant to Physical Effects of Pain (+3) [3], "physical effects of pain" being an Occasional threat and the +3 aiding HT rolls to resist knockdown and such.

Resistant to Psychological Effects of Pain (+3) [3], "psychological effects of pain" being an Occasional threat and the +3 aiding Will rolls to resist torture and such.

I'd say [Kromm speaking] that you can definitely learn the second one. I suspect that SERE really can teach the third one. I doubt that the two have much to do with one another – I would not have +3 to Will rolls to resist torture that promised to restore that pain I suffered! I also suspect that the first one is largely inborn and unlearnable, as it addresses a reflex and not something that you have time to "tough out" or "will away."

Tags
kromm explanation