Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2018, 02:51 PM   #31
Bengt
 
Bengt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ronneby, Sweden
Default Re: Pre-human civilizations on Earth

How would the rebar fare if the concrete stayed intact?
Bengt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #32
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Pre-human civilizations on Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt View Post
How would the rebar fare if the concrete stayed intact?
Probably poorly (and its corrosion would likely not be good for the concrete either).
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:18 PM   #33
malloyd
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Default Re: Pre-human civilizations on Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
Marble, I would think. There are also naturally occurring materials that mimic concrete, with varying degrees of efficiency.
Concrete is a conglomerate (it's got sand and little stones in it). Some cements are calcium carbonate, so marble would be plausible for those, but funny looking marble with all those inclusions. Most cements are calcium silicates and aluminates though, so probably feldspar for those.

Clearly the planet had some really *weird* depositional environments back when concrete formed as a sedimentary rock. Probably whatever produced all the volcanic ash that went into these deposits also contributed to the co-occurring Q-N mass extinction.
__________________
--
MA Lloyd
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:03 AM   #34
dcarson
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Default Re: Pre-human civilizations on Earth

I remember reading that one of the most obvious long term things we would leave is old oil wells. Holes through millions of years of strata that are filled with concrete when played out. Leaves a odd looking trace.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:28 AM   #35
ak_aramis
 
ak_aramis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alsea, OR
Default Re: Pre-human civilizations on Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
I remember reading that one of the most obvious long term things we would leave is old oil wells. Holes through millions of years of strata that are filled with concrete when played out. Leaves a odd looking trace.
Only if the civilization got to the tech level where oil was needed. Also, metamorphic processes could result in wavy marble-like inclusions, instead of nice straight ones. Oh, and trees can generate inclusions - shorter ones - similar to what a well might.

If the civilization only got to, say, Roman Republic tech, we still get some odd deposit patterns... but not the clear vertical quarter-mile intrusions... because the Republic was capable of rather impressive tunneling. Multiple-mile tunnels for the aqueduct system.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:07 AM   #36
Johnny1A.2
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Re: Pre-human civilizations on Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
I remember reading that one of the most obvious long term things we would leave is old oil wells. Holes through millions of years of strata that are filled with concrete when played out. Leaves a odd looking trace.
Large masses of relatively chemically stable metal might endure for some time. For ex, if somebody had a vault full of gold bars, it might take quite a long time before that looked 'natural'.

Large masses of silicate glass can last a long time, too, at least as far as chemical alteration goes.
__________________
HMS Overflow-For conversations off topic here.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:09 AM   #37
Johnny1A.2
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Re: Pre-human civilizations on Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Concrete is a conglomerate (it's got sand and little stones in it). Some cements are calcium carbonate, so marble would be plausible for those, but funny looking marble with all those inclusions. Most cements are calcium silicates and aluminates though, so probably feldspar for those.

Clearly the planet had some really *weird* depositional environments back when concrete formed as a sedimentary rock. Probably whatever produced all the volcanic ash that went into these deposits also contributed to the co-occurring Q-N mass extinction.
This is something I've thought about. Occam's Razor would cut badly in this case, if we did find remnants of a long-ago high society, it might take quite some time before we were prepared to accept that it was what it was, esp. if we only had a few pieces.
__________________
HMS Overflow-For conversations off topic here.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:45 AM   #38
The Colonel
 
The Colonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default Re: Pre-human civilizations on Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
This is something I've thought about. Occam's Razor would cut badly in this case, if we did find remnants of a long-ago high society, it might take quite some time before we were prepared to accept that it was what it was, esp. if we only had a few pieces.
There are already plenty of people who think there were societies of various kinds existing before the ones that we currently know about - some of them, historically speaking, have proven to be right, others transparently barking. So yeah, getting all those "out of place artifacts" accepted as evidence rather than hoaxes and fringe/conspiracy theories is not a given.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.