Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 10-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #1
woodat

Default Knocked up a few classic scale 3d models for printing

It's not much (8 or so variations) but I'm introducing car wars to a gaming group next week and wanted something a little more than just cardboard chits. So, having a little free time, I quickly knocked together a few models and ran them all out of my cheap and cheerful 3d printer.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3133666

You can find the file there if anyone wants them. Dunno about doing any motorcycles (the scale's at the very low end of what my printer can handle already). If I have more spare time next week I'll give them a go.

Are there any other models for the "classic" scale floating around? So far I haven't found any. I didn't think downscaling larger ones would be worth it as you really need to design for the level of detail a 3d printer can manage at quarter-inch scales (mine look terrible, but actually a lot better in real life than in the painted photo on thingiverse suggests).

Last edited by woodat; 10-03-2018 at 09:59 PM.
woodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:58 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Knocked up a few classic scale 3d models for printing

Nice! I'll have to see if they go well with a printed turning key.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodat View Post
[sigh] Only thirty-odd years too late, this technology....

Quote:
Are there any other models for the "classic" scale floating around? So far I haven't found any. I didn't think downscaling larger ones would be worth it as you really need to design for the level of detail a 3d printer can manage at quarter-inch scales (mine look terrible, but actually a lot better in real life than in the painted photo on thingiverse suggests).
Not really -- in order to get correctly-scaled cars, boats, etc., one has to go to an architectural-supply website, and look up the 1/200-scale, or Z-scale, models (N-scale is too big by maybe 1/4").

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:03 PM   #4
malchidael

Quote:
It's not much (8 or so variations) but I'm introducing car wars to a gaming group next week and wanted something a little more than just cardboard chits. So, having a little free time, I quickly knocked together a few models and ran them all out of my cheap and cheerful 3d printer.
Nice! Thanks for sharing!
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:32 AM   #5
Racer

Fantastic models ! I do recall a few Classic miniature available over here in UK .

A quick search & Rottenlead website have an image of a green Bombardier on left , blue Courier centre top & possibly a Security Seven Van towards right ? Can't see too well on small phone screen .

Googled : car-wars-miniature-model

And was fourth image under tagline : Rottenlead 6mm Car Wars

Sorry but new phone/account won't allow direct link .

Was looking for the Classic Hotshot miniature or near substitute we used in 1985/86 , but no luck .

Last edited by Racer; 10-05-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #6
woodat

Hello again all :)

Thank you Racer for the tip. I haven't had a chance yet to look but I'll go check when I can.

In the meanwhile I've completed 2 bike models. They're big as far as bikes go but all the better to carry weapons on :) I'm hoping to do up a sidecar version of each and a trike model some time next week. After that probably a semi tractor trailer and/or a bus before calling it. I am hoping I still have some tiny magnets to make a 5th wheel with for a tractor trailer model :)

*edit* have printed one of each cycle now and they both came out well. Bike 1 is the better of the two (especially now I remembered a 50-micrometre resolution setting on my printer!) but the "Murdercycle" (the one with the nosecone modeled after the bike on the Arenas box) carries enough detail that it'll paint up well also.

Both cycle models are now up on the thingiverse page if anyone wants them

Last edited by woodat; 10-05-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
woodat

Added a simple bike/sidecar model, another subcompact, and a luxury car. Oh and painted up the bikes

https://cdn.thingiverse.com/renders/...w_featured.jpg

Not amazingly happy with the sidecar version but very limited time (and needed to get the bikes painted up before tomorrow)

Last edited by woodat; 10-08-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #8
Chris Goodwin

Hackaday has an article from October 1 about using an airbrush nozzle, of all things, on an FDM 3d printer to improve detail work. The article recommends against just sticking an airbrush nozzle on, but someone is making and selling adapters for them. (The article is here.)

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:16 PM   #9
woodat

Interesting suggestion Chris. Will have to investigate at some point.

But I've concluded the modeling process for now. The last additions are a trike model (which, given how hard it is to tell the details post-printing, could be painted to face either way), and a semi tractor trailer. You can find the 3d printable files on thingiverse here:

And because printing's only half the fun, here's the pictures of my entire armada now, fully painted.

https://cdn.thingiverse.com/renders/...play_large.JPG

https://cdn.thingiverse.com/renders/...w_featured.JPG

https://cdn.thingiverse.com/renders/...w_featured.JPG

Maybe, just maybe, I'll do a double-decker bus at some point (because I sooo want to go into combat driving a ridiculous symbol of my nationality) but no promises on that ;) Otherwise enjoy and let me know if anyone prints any of these :)

Last edited by woodat; 10-14-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #10
woodat

Alrighty, Double Decker and a delivery van added. now I swear I'm finished