Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-14-2017, 09:56 PM   #11
selenite

Default Re: So who has completed the campaign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skraig View Post
#7 Turning the Tables.
Yeah I have tried all those combinations too. Any hints guys?
I beat #7 with an all-GEV force. Take out the the MB then overrun. Yeah, I lose a GEV to the ram, but then get multiple rounds of shots with the others. Overrun in both movement phases if I need to. Get it down to one MP and let the INF finish it.

Note that the overrun interface is sometimes buggy. I'll have 7 GEVs in reach and when I try to overrun it only lets one or two participate. Usual workaround is to pick a different GEV or form them into a stack adjacent to the Ogre. Sometimes it won't let units fire in the attack phase after an overrun but you come out ahead on net.

Took me two tries with that approach. Plus the try where I went with my usual force of SHVYs with some missile-soaking LTs and watched them whiz by.

Now I need to go look for that reinforcement button in #9 . . .
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:26 PM   #12
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
Remember that currently the dialog for reinforcements displays oddly on the bottom of the screen (I’ve logged a bug about the placement) so it’s easy to miss.

There’s a reoccurring theme in the campaign. Ogre reinforcements don’t come until it’s safe for them to show up. I’ll leave the details as an exercise for the student. I don’t want to spoil it for you ( PM me if you really want to know ).
Old 10-15-2017, 07:49 AM   #13
JayBee13

Quote:
You'll see it when it happens. Take a look at the mission rules for when it will happen. That's what did it for me.

I used all tanks for mission #7. It was either all super-heavy or a combination of super-heavy and heavy. Tanks only halfway up the west edge, and tanks and infantry halfway up the east edge. Race the eastern ones to the center of the map to intercept. One Ogre got tied up the in the west area and I destroyed it with the force there. The others got bogged down in the city in the center. They eventually tried to run to the southeast. I ran them down with GEV reinforcements.
JayBee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #14
selenite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee13 View Post
You'll see it when it happens. Take a look at the mission rules for when it will happen. That's what did it for me.
Thanks. I dug around and found the directions. Okay, I can sacrifice enough GEVs to take out the broadcast stations first. The Mk V doesn't have much trouble with the CP since it can just barrel down the road with its full missile load.

Scenario 10 wasn't very hard. Just lost a lot of units on the way.

Where are the achievements displayed?
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #15
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Where are the achievements displayed?
from a browser:

Go to <your name> -> Profile

Under that you will see a link to Achievement Progress under Ogre.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:18 PM   #16
skraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
IIRC, that's the one where you need to keep anything from reaching the beach. I did it by using HVYs and GEVs; roughly 2/3 GEV, 1/3 HVY. I put the HVYs and one group of GEVs on the left side with access to the roads, and the other group of GEVs on the right side, and spilt the INF between both sides.

I ran the GEVs up the roads and started with the MBs, then focused on trading shots at treads between the Ogres. Don't underestimate the value of the 1:2 ratio shots of GEVs against a D4 MB; it's surprising how often it works.

Since the main issue is speed, it's important to not get wrapped up in reducing a single Ogre by multiple movement; it's better to get them all to M2, then M1, otherwise one of the ones with M3 will sneak through. Dropping by even 1 movement lengthens the map. I also made sure to place AUs in position to fire at multiple Ogres each turn so I could shift gears and change to the next-fastest Ogre once I had reduced the speed of a different one.

Don't be afraid to force the Ogre to overrun, either. Especially toward the end, you can knock off a couple treads by ramming if you really need to.

By the time the 3rd wave is coming in, the INF are in a decent position to harass in the middle of the map with a couple of the GEVs. The AI seems to try avoiding units, so it's possible to corral them into the middle.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't notice you could deploy from both sides. HVY and GEV were a good combination. Also I didn't really get that you should slow them down before destroying the gun. They need to be down to 2 as soon as possible.
skraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #17
Mack_JB

I can't even get past the "Recruitment" one ... seems to me the defenders barely get enough to stop a Mk. III from a regular skirmish game, then a Mk I gets tossed in on top of that.

Plus, as others noted, dropping the Mk. I into the river when the bridge it was on caused zero damage -- rather disheartening.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #18
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
I can't even get past the "Recruitment" one ... seems to me the defenders barely get enough to stop a Mk. III from a regular skirmish game, then a Mk I gets tossed in on top of that.

Plus, as others noted, dropping the Mk. I into the river when the bridge it was on caused zero damage -- rather disheartening.
The key is to gang up on them. Take out the Mark I as quickly as possible, then deal with the Mark III. It has to cover a lot of ground, so you have time to harass it later.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:14 PM   #19
Mack_JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
The key is to gang up on them. Take out the Mark I as quickly as possible, then deal with the Mark III. It has to cover a lot of ground, so you have time to harass it later.
True enough, and I get the Mk. I every time. But by then the III is rolling south at speed, and those Infantry do nothing except sit in a city, or die in the open. And being in the city is useless, as once the Ogre reaches the city, that broadcast center is compromised.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #20
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
True enough, and I get the Mk. I every time. But by then the III is rolling south at speed, and those Infantry do nothing except sit in a city, or die in the open. And being in the city is useless, as once the Ogre reaches the city, that broadcast center is compromised.
The Mark III isn't all that interested in you, it's busy moving to the broadcast centers. Just take potshots at it while it's in the middle of the map and try to at least the the MB and a few treads, then go after it in earnest once the Mark I is dead.