Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 03-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #271
Bruno

Default Re: Updated / New Character Sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
Is there anyway you can put the separate stats for shapeshifters on the same sheet?
GCA can't even handle it internally, so not really.

What you can do is arrange Phoenix so the stats you're interested in are all on one page (the first probably). Then when you print out the two sheets, print out the first page of one form on the back of the first page of the other.

I haven't seen any other proposals on how to format the output for something like that. How were you visualizing it would work?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #272
flyingwombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post

What you can do is arrange Phoenix so the stats you're interested in are all on one page (the first probably). Then when you print out the two sheets, print out the first page of one form on the back of the first page of the other.

I haven't seen any other proposals on how to format the output for something like that. How were you visualizing it would work?
GCB couldn't either.
I was thinking that a different color for the shifted stats. Black can be used for human form and red can be used for the shifted form on the same sheet. Other than writing in by hand, I can't think of way of doing it. Since the most simplest case I can think of is the "Wolf Man" type -no separate skills, just advantages and disadvantages, then the NPC card for the were form might be the way to go.
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #273
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post

Ok, I'm curious as to what you guys are even talking about... the problem I've always had with GURPS in regards to shifters is the feeling I need to make completely separate character sheets for the other forms, then just ignore the points as long as they add up right on the main form's Alternate Form advantage...

How are you doing it on one sheet that lets you ask how to print it?? :) Feel free to message me privately if you don't wish to hijack this thread.

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.

Last edited by Ragabash Moon; 03-08-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Clarification
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #274
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
GCB couldn't either.
I was thinking that a different color for the shifted stats. Black can be used for human form and red can be used for the shifted form on the same sheet. Other than writing in by hand, I can't think of way of doing it. Since the most simplest case I can think of is the "Wolf Man" type -no separate skills, just advantages and disadvantages, then the NPC card for the were form might be the way to go.
It's not that it can't, it's that it's rather annoying and difficult to try and do so. First off, because the alternate form is a wholly different character (generally), you need some way to know what the alternate form is. If you do it like GMSheet, then it's easy enough to reference the other characters, but it's really easy for the user to accidentally load the wrong ones or not have the right one loaded when printing.

Then, you have the issue of trying to actually display the extra information in some useful fashion. If you should only show attributes, that may be done in another color, perhaps, but what if there are several different alternate forms? There's almost never room for that much extra information.

And what about differing advantages and other traits? You now need to poll every trait of every character to see what the dupes are, and what ones are the same but with different levels, and you need to try to display all of this usefully, without making a mess of things. Just listing all the traits normally, using different colors, may work, but the sheer volume would likely overwhelm the usefulness of the combined sheet.

Honestly, for nearly every case that *isn't* just a case of one alternate form that only changes the attributes, a separate sheet is far less confusing and far less cluttered.

Armin
Old 03-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #275
flyingwombat

The original question was in response by a friend of mind who wanted the stats on the same sheet without too much clutter. He felt having an additional character sheet was too much clutter.

I didn't think there was one either.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #276
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
The original question was in response by a friend of mind who wanted the stats on the same sheet without too much clutter. He felt having an additional character sheet was too much clutter.

I didn't think there was one either.
Actually, it occurs to me that there are a couple ways to do it that may not be too cluttered, depending on who the person looking at the sheet is, what information they actually want, and how much info is on the alternate character sheets.

Now that it's on my mind, if I have some time and an itch, I may experiment a bit with a sheet that may provide some kind of option for this (although it would be for GCA 5 in the nebulous future; it's too annoying for me to try for GCA 4 now).

Armin

Or, who knows, Thom may think it's easy and toss something out for fun.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #277
Thomson

Sorry I did not find it and I don't know if this thread is the right place to ask, but what do I have to do that the DB of a shield shows up on the character sheet?
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #278
flyingwombat

click on the shield symbol. A window will pop up. follow the instructions.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:22 AM   #279
Thomson

Quote:
click on the shield symbol. A window will pop up. follow the instructions.
Well - thx for the answer, but I already did select the shield skill in the first tab and the shield in the third to be on the right arm, but I can't find the DB on the printed character sheet... (or anywhere else besides in that window)

Last edited by Thomson; 03-09-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:47 AM   #280
tmedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
Well - thx for the answer, but I already did select the shield skill in the first tab and the shield in the third to be on the right arm, but I can't find the DB on the printed character sheet... (or anywhere else besides in that window)
You'll need a sheet that can display the shield arc diagram, from the Set Shields tab of GCA's Protection window. IIRC, only Phoenix currently does this, in the paper-doll mode of its Defenses block.

EDIT: Alternatively, for sheets that can't display the shield arc diagram, you could always just add the shield's DB under the Protection window's Other DB Notes field. It would only be a note, but the shield arc diagram is largely notational as well, so there's really not much difference. Of course, the sheet would need to support printing of the Other DB Notes field.

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)

Last edited by tmedwards; 03-09-2013 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Added alternative suggestion
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote