Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-15-2015, 08:09 AM   #1
JMD

Default Random Generators and GURPS Calculator

GURPS Calculator has become a fairly mature web app this past year, and I'm thankful for all the suggestions and bug reports everyone has submitted in that time.

The base functionality I would say is 99% there, you can do most anything you need to do with the Calculator, but what it is very obviously missing is random generators.

Generators for Monsters, NPCs, Treasure, Terrain, Weather, etc...the list goes on and on.

Have you made such a generator? Are you a coder and want to make one? Do you have no coding experience but want to map the data and logic out for one?

Alternatively, if you aren't interested in random generators, what are you interested in? Does anyone want to make additional themes for the app? Take a crack at importing GCA or GCS characters into the Tracker?

If anyone is interested in helping flesh out the generators of the Calculator you'll get a credit in three places: the page with your generator, in the contributors section on the about page, and in the heart of every GURPS players.

The app is coded in MVC C#.NET with a SQL backend. If you prefer you could make your generator in javascript using Jquery.
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Random Generators and GURPS Calculator

I'm a generator junkie: I make gurps generators for my own use. Some are posted on my blog. My weapon of choice is javascript. I'm game if you need me to build anything.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 07-15-2015 at 08:26 AM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
JMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'm a generator junkie: I make gurps generators for my own use. Some are posted on my blog. My weapon of choice is javascript. I'm game if you need me to build anything.
Anything you want to contribute or build would be most helpful!

We're all about quality over quantity, so if you have something that you're proud of let me know! I can have my team QA it and we'll get back to you ASAP.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
Gigermann

If you really wanted to stretch yourself, you could add a travel calculator, something like I did here. Mine's still got a bit of buggyness, there were a couple of things I never quite figured out how to work, and I haven't incorporated any new concepts from DF16.

I might be of some help if I can summon the motivation.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:43 AM   #5
weby

Well, I have made a bunch of generators for my use but most are at least somewhat campaign specific as I tend to customize them for each campaign.

I mostly use the RandListGen(really nice free to use script) as tool to generate them as it removes the need to code such.

The most generic thing I currently have is the random treasure generator that my players love/hate. It generates things from total trash to magic items. The output is not always pretty formatted as it is meant as a tool for me.

You can find the newest version in:
http://seikkailu.roto.nu/fantasytreasure6.html

Base use is to select what you want to generate and how many.

There is the basic structure of the types of items based on the "level of challenge" or just richness in terms of magic items or money. It can also be used to generate any of the sub tables(like if you only want trash) but that requires looking for the name of the table in the fairly long list and replacing the {what} with it.

Feel free to use any bits of it you want or the whole thing, it is the result of a long evolution of treasure tables I have used since early 1990s that I then converted to RandListGen few years back. For publishing it would at least require going through the tables to fix things like punctuation so that it is clear where one item ends and next starts(I heave been meaning to do that for a while.. but..)
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #6
JMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
If you really wanted to stretch yourself, you could add a travel calculator, something like I did here. Mine's still got a bit of buggyness, there were a couple of things I never quite figured out how to work, and I haven't incorporated any new concepts from DF16.

I might be of some help if I can summon the motivation.
This is awesome! I've actually had quite a few requests for this.

If you could figure out the bugs (or at least note them all down) that would be awesome. If you want to incorporate the DF16 things even better!

What say ye?
Old 07-15-2015, 11:36 AM   #7
JMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Well, I have made a bunch of generators for my use but most are at least somewhat campaign specific as I tend to customize them for each campaign.

I mostly use the RandListGen(really nice free to use script) as tool to generate them as it removes the need to code such.

The most generic thing I currently have is the random treasure generator that my players love/hate. It generates things from total trash to magic items. The output is not always pretty formatted as it is meant as a tool for me.

You can find the newest version in:
http://seikkailu.roto.nu/fantasytreasure6.html

Base use is to select what you want to generate and how many.

There is the basic structure of the types of items based on the "level of challenge" or just richness in terms of magic items or money. It can also be used to generate any of the sub tables(like if you only want trash) but that requires looking for the name of the table in the fairly long list and replacing the {what} with it.

Feel free to use any bits of it you want or the whole thing, it is the result of a long evolution of treasure tables I have used since early 1990s that I then converted to RandListGen few years back. For publishing it would at least require going through the tables to fix things like punctuation so that it is clear where one item ends and next starts(I heave been meaning to do that for a while.. but..)
This is fantastic. Did you make most of these items up yourself?
Old 07-15-2015, 12:06 PM   #8
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
This is fantastic. Did you make most of these items up yourself?
The actual lists: yes.

But I did a lot of "Ok there is a table of trash in there, so adding it to my list of trash" type things and such.

The magic items are based on a converting lists that originally originate from Rolemaster treasure companion, but have been modified to be GURPS magic style enchantments and above all spells. That is why you will some strangeness.

The basic levels "poor to very rich" are based on the originals, but adapted to things like my own money system.

The things that are definitely not Gurpsifies in that generator are the herbs, they are still the original Shadow World herbs from Rolemaster as my fantasy world has borrowed heavily from Shadow World(including things like the herbs)

And so on.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #9
JMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
The actual lists: yes.

But I did a lot of "Ok there is a table of trash in there, so adding it to my list of trash" type things and such.

The magic items are based on a converting lists that originally originate from Rolemaster treasure companion, but have been modified to be GURPS magic style enchantments and above all spells. That is why you will some strangeness.

The basic levels "poor to very rich" are based on the originals, but adapted to things like my own money system.

The things that are definitely not Gurpsifies in that generator are the herbs, they are still the original Shadow World herbs from Rolemaster as my fantasy world has borrowed heavily from Shadow World(including things like the herbs)

And so on.
I would love to use this if you'd be willing to put in a little elbow grease to ease the transition.

Would you be willing to strip out the non-GURPS entities and reformat the data slightly so I can import it into our database? If so let me know and I'll respond with a preferred format (it won't be complicated.)
Old 07-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #10
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
I would love to use this if you'd be willing to put in a little elbow grease to ease the transition.

Would you be willing to strip out the non-GURPS entities and reformat the data slightly so I can import it into our database? If so let me know and I'll respond with a preferred format (it won't be complicated.)
Well, the only non Gurps things are herbs as Gurps does not have a herb system and the specific unusual magic items that point to manual tables outside the generator with an url that is not accesible without login..

As players occasionally use the generator directly in cases like "ok you killed 100 orcs run level 1 treasure 100 times and look what you want to keep", I did not want to have any unusual magic items for them to look through.

Edit:
Oh and some of the values for thing are more granular than standard GURPS and do go to higher values at high end(like bonus damage)