Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #21
Daigoro

Default Re: Why is Propaganda a skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
NPCs (which allies are) don't have Allies. so yes if you want allies of allies to be available you need to buy them...
Although Rev Pee Kitty has a "Friends of Friends" write-up on his MyGurps page, but they do cost points.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:13 AM   #22
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

If the net effect is "I wield authority in a hierarchical organization where people at each level do jobs for those the next level up, effectively concentrating progressively more skills under ever-bigger bosses, but my own obligations mean that I can never take my underlings off the reservation," then I use Rank of some kind. This is good for relatively regimented groups of people whose skills form clear pyramids (like Strategy > Tactics > Soldier for an army or Administration > Finance > Accounting for a ministry of finance). Example: A realistic military unit, intelligence service, or a bureaucratic government.

If the net effect is "I can get hands-off tasks done with skill X without knowing skill X by asking a nebulous network, a few of whom must have skill X, but I can't get hands-on action," then I use Contact Group. This is perfect for a group of diverse experts who do subsidiary tasks rather than tag along in person, and who do said tasks out of personal obligation or informal arrangements, not because they're following orders. Example: A realistic spy network (not the same as an intelligence service!) or a university faculty.

If the net effect is "I have access to all these people who have skills I lack, and these guys kick down doors, jump into fights, drive the car while I shoot, etc.," then I use Allies. This is the only trait that gives you specific, named, recurring individuals who do hands-on work for you entirely out of personal obligation. Example: A cinematic spy network or military unit, or a wealthy individual's servants.

If the net effect is "I belong to a big organization that has experts in diverse fields that do jobs for me but that aren't my assigned subordinates," then I use Patron. This is preferable for people who can get help of both the hands-on and off-screen variety, but who don't have the well-defined expertise limits of a Contact Group or the lasting personal loyalty of Allies. Example: A huge corporation or a realistic criminal empire.*

* You can be at the top of such a thing, with everybody else less capable than you, and still be the one with the Patron. Bill Gates has Microsoft as a Patron, and not vice versa, because collectively, "all of Microsoft" >> Bill Gates in most meaningful ways.

Generally, I'd say that Propaganda is most often used by spies with high Rank (type varies), soldiers of high Military Rank during wartime, and occasionally government bureaucrats of high Administrative Rank.

Spies with free reign to recruit use it next most often, farming out the subsidiary tasks to a Contact Group. Equally often, I'd say it's used by people in the Patron situation, typically in a vague "we need an ad campaign for that" sense, whereupon some wage-slave propagandist delivers.

Gangs of Allies are rarely large or well-connected enough to use or need the Propaganda skill.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:34 AM   #23
Edges

Kromm, you're clearly a professional writer. I dig what you're saying.

The only thing I have issue with is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Generally, I'd say that Propaganda is most often used by spies with high Rank (type varies), soldiers of high Military Rank during wartime, and occasionally government bureaucrats of high Administrative Rank.
It seems to me that the civilian sector would use Propaganda at least as often as the intelligence/military sector. It's the bread and butter of celebrity managers and advertising agents.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:57 AM   #24
warmachine

I'd say Propaganda is possible for freelancing adventurer types, although, even on a small, local scale, the network of influence and/or heroic level of skills stretches realism. A man put into hospital and good Streetwise and Propaganda rolls in bars will convince low lives that a particular liquor store should not be robbed. Inside info on the target's friends and a Propaganda roll to make a flyer campaign work will have a rich person being asked awkward questions by his friends. Various circumstantial evidence given to various contacts in newspapers and news broadcasters and a Propaganda roll will make an organisation infamous for longer than 15 minutes.

Air hostess: Would you like anything from the duty free trolley?
Tank Girl: Yes! I'd like everything that's bad for me!
- Tank Girl, Tank Girl 3
warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:21 AM   #25
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
I'd say Propaganda is possible for freelancing adventurer types, although, even on a small, local scale, the network of influence and/or heroic level of skills stretches realism. A man put into hospital and good Streetwise and Propaganda rolls in bars will convince low lives that a particular liquor store should not be robbed. Inside info on the target's friends and a Propaganda roll to make a flyer campaign work will have a rich person being asked awkward questions by his friends. Various circumstantial evidence given to various contacts in newspapers and news broadcasters and a Propaganda roll will make an organisation infamous for longer than 15 minutes.
Sounds appropriate to me. Smear campaigns exist and are rather effective, after all. Witness any political situation as the most obvious example I can provide. Everyone has an angle, everything is spun for desired effects, bias is everywhere. Independent reporters aren't.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #26
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post

It seems to me that the civilian sector would use Propaganda at least as often as the intelligence/military sector. It's the bread and butter of celebrity managers and advertising agents.
This is true. I'm not sure that I wouldn't give such people Rank, though! Some reduced-cost version of Administrative Rank suits how many large corporations work. There are rules in GURPS Power-Ups 2: Perks for trivial Rank that represents real authority in private organizations. If you have level 6-8 of such Rank, then you're liable to have access to many experts who can implement your latest Propaganda coup using various skills and channels . . . it's just that you can only really exploit this advantage if you happen to be promoting The New Great Taste of Diet Choke™ or the 2011 Ewe Sport™.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #27
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
1) Absolutely. Our Director of Corporate Affairs does a lot of work on Advertising our new wares. I was just included on a series of e-mails that should culminate in a Press Release regarding a kit (that I led through R&D).

2) Even a high 'ranking' person within our company wouldn't have the sort of rank and authority that a comparable person would within the intelligence/military sector. But yes, the Director does, within the corporate structure, 'outrank' a Senior Research Scientist :)

-P.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #28
SCHIFTY

Cosider, if you will, the Reagan White House. Ron himself had Public Speaking 21-, easily. However, the spin doctors behind the scene had Propaganda 21-.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #29
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHIFTY View Post
Cosider, if you will, the Reagan White House. Ron himself had Public Speaking 21-, easily. However, the spin doctors behind the scene had Propaganda 21-.
I think that goes for most leaders since Pericles...
Old 04-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #30
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
It's just that you can only really exploit this advantage if you happen to be promoting The New Great Taste of Diet Choke™ or the 2011 Ewe Sport™.
Or Lobby that it not /really/ harmfill and loby to get loaw changes so that your factoery canbe built...
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm explanation