Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-13-2019, 03:02 AM   #11
Narmer

Default Re: Confusion over choosing an option vs. declaring it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
I would think it would be obvious what you are doing though, wouldn't it? You are clearly jinking back and forth, trying to make the ranged attacker have a hard time, right? At the very least you are giving the missile user a dead-eyed stare, poised and ready, which would be very different from your buddy a few hexes over who is readying a weapon or whatever.
I agree with this in regards to dodging. You are making yourself hard to hit which is obvious if you are moving.
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:22 AM   #12
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
I would think it would be obvious what you are doing though, wouldn't it? You are clearly jinking back and forth, trying to make the ranged attacker have a hard time, right? At the very least you are giving the missile user a dead-eyed stare, poised and ready, which would be very different from your buddy a few hexes over who is readying a weapon or whatever.
I mostly agree from a realism standpoint but for the game's sake, I'm going to assume these are experienced adventurers that are able to hide their intentions somewhat.

Last edited by kjamma4; 06-13-2019 at 08:00 AM.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #13
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Is it RAW to actually declare your option out loud? If not, is this something everyone does anyway? I know you can change your option but is there any need to verbally declare in the first place?
No, there is no need to declare an option before you actually do it.

The Options list and the ritual of announcing your intended action before you actually need to is there to help people learn the concept that options have some limits related to how far you move.

Even though RAW mentions declaring an action at the start of a turn, IT IS NOT NECESSARY AND IN PRACTICE WE (AND ALL OF THE PUBLISHED DESCRIPTIONS OF PLAY) NEVER DID IT EXCEPT WHEN IT WAS LOCKING A FIGURE INTO ONE OPTION (e.g. moving over 1/2 MA), because until you do actually use an option, you can always change your option later at any point, so it doesn't matter if you declare it or not (but it can be helpful to do so to communicate to your comrades, and help you and the GM remember what is probably going to happen, etc).

Quote:
In my mind, it seems like you should be able to move your figure based upon adjDX (and your engaged/disengaged/HTH status) and then depending upon the length of your move and other facts, be able to execute in adjDX order your "attack"
Yes (except your first "adjDX" I think you meant to write "MA").

You can also commit to an action before your adjDX, if it is Defending or Dodging in response to an enemy attack.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #14
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
No, there is no need to declare an option before you actually do it.
Great. I did not see "declare" used anywhere in the rules so either I completely missed it or did not know the lingo!

Quote:
Even though RAW mentions declaring an action at the start of a turn, IT IS NOT NECESSARY AND IN PRACTICE WE (AND ALL OF THE PUBLISHED DESCRIPTIONS OF PLAY) NEVER DID IT EXCEPT WHEN IT WAS LOCKING A FIGURE INTO ONE OPTION (e.g. moving over 1/2 MA), because until you do actually use an option, you can always change your option later at any point, so it doesn't matter if you declare it or not (but it can be helpful to do so to communicate to your comrades, and help you and the GM remember what is probably going to happen, etc).
Perfect.

Quote:
Yes (except your first "adjDX" I think you meant to write "MA").
Yes, got excited. ;)

Quote:
You can also commit to an action before your adjDX, if it is Defending or Dodging in response to an enemy attack.
This makes perfect sense and satisfies both from a game play and realism point of view. This is analagous to the HERO game system where you can Abort to Dodge and you become harder to hit (but also forgo your ability to perform another action when it is your turn to act.)

Further on that subject, when you Dodge/Defend in TFT, it is only against one attack, correct? Not for the rest of the turn against all attacks that you are able to dodge/defend?
Old 06-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #15
Skarg

Quote:
Further on that subject, when you Dodge/Defend in TFT, it is only against one attack, correct? Not for the rest of the turn against all attacks that you are able to dodge/defend?
No, in TFT, once you dodge or defend one attack, your option affects all later attacks of the same type (dodge affects only ranged, defend affects only non-ranged) for the rest of that turn.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:00 PM   #16
kjamma4

Quote:
No, in TFT, once you dodge or defend one attack, your option affects all later attacks of the same type (dodge affects only ranged, defend affects only non-ranged) for the rest of that turn.
So if you dodge when Enemy A attacks, he has to roll adjDX on four dice. Later that same turn, Enemy B attacks and she too has to roll adjDX on four dice.

Makes sense and follows the HERO equivalent I'm familiar with.

Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:04 PM   #17
Skarg

Glad to help. It's great to see new players getting into TFT tactical combat! :-)
Old 06-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #18
Anaraxes

Quote:
Makes sense and follows the HERO equivalent I'm familiar with.
Except for the bit where HERO didn't come out until 1990, so it's really the other way around :)

(Champions came out in 1981. But that's still four years after Melee; even the "Advanced" books and original ITL came out in 1980. But chin up! GURPS 1e (1986) did give a nod to Champions in the intro for the point-buy character creation.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #19
kjamma4

Quote:
Glad to help. It's great to see new players getting into TFT tactical combat! :-)
I've literally had the pocket boxes of Melee and Wizard sitting unplayed in my basement for about 10 years (gift from a friend.)

I pulled them out about two weeks ago and after reading them, decided to go all in on the Legacy edition. I figured I'd work from the current Melee and Wizard rules and then to the Advanced and ITL shortly.

Tonight is the rare situation where we only have myself and another friend for our weekly game night so I figured I'd see about introducing him to TFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Except for the bit where HERO didn't come out until 1990, so it's really the other way around :)

(Champions came out in 1981. But that's still four years after Melee; even the "Advanced" books and original ITL came out in 1980. But chin up! GURPS 1e (1986) did give a nod to Champions in the intro for the point-buy character creation.)
Yes - I meant that as it follows the order it entered into my consciousness!!!

I always get charged up when someone says "I have Car Wars in the original pocket box." That's nice but the original came in a plastic bag (that I still have and, unlike the Melee and Wizard, saw quite a bit of use.)

Thanks everyone for the support and quick answers.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #20
Narmer

I've always treated dodging as as an exception. And I do so because of the wording of the description.

Quote:
DODGE. Move up to half its MA while dodging.
Dodging is something a figure does the entire time moving. They don't run in a straight line and then do a little dance at the end. It is apparent who is dodging and who is not. If I have the choice between firing at someone who is dodging and someone who isn't, I know who I'm shooting at.
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote