Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #31
whswhs

Default Re: Biotech: Help me justify good looking females with high strength values

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
I found that stimulating bone cell growth would allow to take it from 216 lbs to 275 lbs without changing external physical appearance so we just need some way to increase weigh from 275 lbs (ST 14) to 340 lbs (ST 15) which is a 65 lbs difference. I am looking for biological realistic upgrades though I will go on that book next for upgraded senses if you can confirm that they can be bioengineered by TL 9.
No, I absolutely can't guarantee that. I wasn't writing Enhanced Senses as a tech book. I recommend consulting GURPS Bio-Tech if you want to see the official rules judgment of what TL is needed for various enhancements, and whether it's realistic tech or superscience. But in the last analysis, what is "possible" at TLs above 8 is a worldbuilding question that you have to resolve for your setting.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #32
Alonsua
Banned

Default Re: Biotech: Help me justify good looking females with high strength values

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
HP isn't just about mass, it's also about how hard it is to take apart.
Spidersilk as the example has much higher HP than muscle fiber, higher than steel too.
And it is denser than muscle fibres too. Okey then could spidersilk be used to upgrade muscle fibres somehow?
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #33
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
And it is denser than muscle fibres too. Okey then could spidersilk be used to upgrade muscle fibres somehow?
That's exactly what spidersilk biomemetic muscle does.

Research is ongoing now, welcome to TL 8.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #34
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
No, I absolutely can't guarantee that. I wasn't writing Enhanced Senses as a tech book. I recommend consulting GURPS Bio-Tech if you want to see the official rules judgment of what TL is needed for various enhancements, and whether it's realistic tech or superscience. But in the last analysis, what is "possible" at TLs above 8 is a worldbuilding question that you have to resolve for your setting.
I did not read the book but so far I am using Page at a Glance and Perfect Pitch (the other perk would work as a depleted version of Versatile).

Since spidersilk is denser than muscle fibres, what do you think about using it to upgrade muscle fibres somehow?
Old 07-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #35
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
That's exactly what spidersilk biomemetic muscle does.

Research is ongoing now, welcome to TL 8.
Respect Ze'Manel Cunha! We´ve been going on and on and you finally came up with a very great idea, thank you very much.

So far we have got:

Spidersilk biomimetic muscle (by Ze'Manel Cunha) ST+1 (or more)
Stimulating bone cell growth ST+1

In principle I do not need anything else, but if you feel like it, we can continue trying to discover how to push the limits a bit more so the girls can be a bit shorter.

Come with another ST+1 and I will make them 174 cm height!

Last edited by Alonsua; 07-14-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #36
Celjabba

If you really want to increase body weight to 360+ lbs while keeping an athletic body shape and an height of 188, I don't think any biological improvement will suffice.
Let's say you have a sculpted body at 240 lbs. About half is water, so you would need to somehow double the density of the remaining 35 lb of bone and 85 of flesh. I think that is unlikely.
Either you increase the height or the solution is going to involve a couple dm3 of Osmium or Gold.
(If you could get around the toxicity, replacing the body water with heavy water would give you about 10 lb of weight...)
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:10 PM   #37
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
If you really want to increase body weight to 360+ lbs while keeping an athletic body shape and an height of 188, I don't think any biological improvement will suffice.
Let's say you have a sculpted body at 240 lbs. About half is water, so you would need to somehow double the density of the remaining 35 lb of bone and 85 of flesh. I think that is unlikely.
Either you increase the height or the solution is going to involve a couple dm3 of Osmium or Gold.
(If you could get around the toxicity, replacing the body water with heavy water would give you about 10 lb of weight...)
I have thought of iridium and osmium, could you please elaborate a bit more (this heavy water thing may increase the weight of what replaces by about 10%)? Spidersilk biomimetic muscle and stimulating bone cell growth should be able to increase density by about 30% (and probably more).

I can face the toxicity with Immunity to a Specific Poison (Heavy Water).

Last edited by Alonsua; 07-14-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #38
whswhs

Quote:
I can face the toxicity with Immunity to a Specific Poison (Heavy Water).
I don't think that works. It's not particularly that heavy water is toxic as such; I believe you can drink modest amount of it and not suffer much harm. It's rather that it doesn't perform all the biological functions of water, and animals that get only heavy water fail to thrive (and perhaps die). I would consider mechanicking that as drinking only heavy water leaves you with cumulative Fatigue from thirst.

The thing is that water is the solvent for nearly all biochemical reactions. Put your enzymes into heavy water and its properties as a solvent are just a bit different.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:39 PM   #39
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't think that works. It's not particularly that heavy water is toxic as such; I believe you can drink modest amount of it and not suffer much harm. It's rather that it doesn't perform all the biological functions of water, and animals that get only heavy water fail to thrive (and perhaps die). I would consider mechanicking that as drinking only heavy water leaves you with cumulative Fatigue from thirst.

The thing is that water is the solvent for nearly all biochemical reactions. Put your enzymes into heavy water and its properties as a solvent are just a bit different.
By now we probably have bone mass at +80% and muscle mass at +30% of their normals (for a gain of about 62 lbs).

Water´s main functions in the human body should involve acting as a solvent for several processes. How different do you think heavy water would be? Would not Immunity (Heavy Water) cover those differences with upgraded enzymes, for example? Or maybe there is a chance to develop a fluid denser and equally/more efficient than water?
Old 07-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #40
Anthony

The real problem with heavy water is that it's completely useless for solving your problem; it doesn't form chemical bonds that are meaningfully stronger than ordinary hydrogen, and that's what actually determines how strong a material is.