Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-12-2016, 06:05 PM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy - Castle Defiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I am not sure I understand the question, but I see no reason to deviate from DF on this.
There's no divine magic in Yrth (and in fact the setting is very deliberately agnostic) and healing priests are just priests with Magery and some healing spells. However, Dungeon Fantasy wizards are specifically banned from the Healing college in order to promote niche protection for Clerics (and a similar situation exists for Druids and the Plant and Animal colleges as well as the Weather subcollege). So using Dungeon Fantasy as written either means allowing Clerics and Druids (which is probably theologically contradictory besides not working within the setting) or extending the Wizard list into the banned colleges (and probably ideally making one or more variant templates for ecclesiastic mages). Alternately you could just not allow the banned templates or spells at all, and not have any non-alchemical magical healing available to the PCs, which is the simplest solution, probably.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:17 PM   #22
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
So using Dungeon Fantasy as written either means allowing Clerics and Druids (which is probably theologically contradictory besides not working within the setting) or extending the Wizard list into the banned colleges (and probably ideally making one or more variant templates for ecclesiastic mages).
My solution is to replace the mandatory Clerical Investment on those templates with Magery and either start the priestly wizards at Magery 2 by default and increas optional Advantage pools by 5 or start them at Magery 3 and reduce the Advantage pools by 5. Make slightly stronger suggestions at taking one- or two-college limitations on Magery as appropriate to the style.

Quote:
Alternately you could just not allow the banned templates or spells at all, and not have any non-alchemical magical healing available to the PCs, which is the simplest solution, probably.
That was the approach on Cidri, the similarly agnostic setting of The Fantasy Trip.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:54 PM   #23
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
My solution is to replace the mandatory Clerical Investment on those templates with Magery
Actual priests and imams should still have Clerical Investment (the social advantage) but not Power Investiture (the Power Talent). It probably makes the most sense to make "Cleric" a lens for Wizards, Bards, and Scholars and replace Holy Warriors with a Mystic template.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 09-13-2016 at 01:40 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:47 AM   #24
Carnifex

Quote:
There's no divine magic in Yrth (and in fact the setting is very deliberately agnostic) and healing priests are just priests with Magery and some healing spells.
Ah okay, now I understand, this is something I definitely gave no thought to. In my head I am looking at this as a DF campaign first and foremost, the fact that it is placed in Yrth is fairly incidental to me. To me Clerical Investment is just a form of magery in the larger context of Yrth.
Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:28 AM   #25
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Actual priests and imams should still have Clerical Investment (the social advantage) but not Power Investiture (the Power Talent). It probably makes the most sense to make "Cleric" a lens for Wizards, Bards, and Scholars and replace Holy Warriors with a Mystic template.
I meant to leave Clerical Investment and replace Power Investiture with Magery, adjusting the Advantage pool based on the presence of Magery 0.

Tags
yrth