Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 03-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
AndreaVallance

Default JTAS 6th March 2012

Another Mark Gellis issue :) and my very biased and personal thoughts

35 years and counting (aka Loren's editorial): Ahhh the nostalgia. Suppose Traveller is well and truly middle aged now. Attending PTA meetings, worrying about the mortgage payments and thinking about voting Tory. I remember the thrill of ripping the shrink wrap off a new RPG boxed set. Problem with a golden age is you don't know you're in one till its over.

Six Ships Thirty Six Rumours (4300 words) - Mark Gellis: I'm not usually one for "ship articles," its not where most of my games go and when I need a ship I whip it up with HGS. But this one was different. Six ships and 36 little vignettes, all with "begin adventure here" in large friendly letters. This one got filed in my "use for adventures sometime" folder and got a 5 from me.

More about whats in the system (4000 words) - Mark Gellis: A follow on from his article last issue. Even more useful than the last installment, even for non-space game me. These are the customs and law-enforcement ships the average PC party are going to run into. Bookmarked for future use.

(BTW Mark, I comment trying to get more people to read JTAS and your work is well worth the time to read it :) )
AndreaVallance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Mgellis

Default Re: JTAS 6th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewv View Post
Another Mark Gellis issue :) and my very biased and personal thoughts

35 years and counting (aka Loren's editorial): Ahhh the nostalgia. Suppose Traveller is well and truly middle aged now. Attending PTA meetings, worrying about the mortgage payments and thinking about voting Tory. I remember the thrill of ripping the shrink wrap off a new RPG boxed set. Problem with a golden age is you don't know you're in one till its over.

Six Ships Thirty Six Rumours (4300 words) - Mark Gellis: I'm not usually one for "ship articles," its not where most of my games go and when I need a ship I whip it up with HGS. But this one was different. Six ships and 36 little vignettes, all with "begin adventure here" in large friendly letters. This one got filed in my "use for adventures sometime" folder and got a 5 from me.

More about whats in the system (4000 words) - Mark Gellis: A follow on from his article last issue. Even more useful than the last installment, even for non-space game me. These are the customs and law-enforcement ships the average PC party are going to run into. Bookmarked for future use.

(BTW Mark, I comment trying to get more people to read JTAS and your work is well worth the time to read it :) )
Thanks. I had fun writing these. I had an "epiphany" some weeks ago when I realized that 3rd edition ships and 4th edition ships are close enough to each other that it is not only possible to convert them but often quite easy. I'm going to gradually sneak in as many designs as I can. I can't wait to get to the cruisers. :) (I'm still trying to figure out a good way to handle armor in Classic Traveller for conversions, though. It probably made sense within the Class Traveller system, but it does not convert well to GT (or, if it does, I'm not seeing how to do it yet)).

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
Daeglan

What about doing the same to templates and NPCs? Most of the 3e stuff is fluff but having the templates and NPCs would be nice to see converted to 4e
Daeglan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Mgellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeglan View Post
What about doing the same to templates and NPCs? Most of the 3e stuff is fluff but having the templates and NPCs would be nice to see converted to 4e
Look, I'm dancing as fast as I can, okay? :)

Seriously, those would be even easier than ships, I think, in most cases. It would mostly be a matter of determining whether the same advantages, skills, etc. had to be used if, if not, what was needed to replace them, and adjusting the point costs. Traveller has a really big advantage in this area in that very few characters have "magic" or "superpowers" (i.e., psionics), so the builds are primarily mundane advantages and disadvantages and skills (which didn't really change very much).

Certainly, I can look into it if people would like to see that kind of article.
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Daeglan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
Look, I'm dancing as fast as I can, okay? :)

Seriously, those would be even easier than ships, I think, in most cases. It would mostly be a matter of determining whether the same advantages, skills, etc. had to be used if, if not, what was needed to replace them, and adjusting the point costs. Traveller has a really big advantage in this area in that very few characters have "magic" or "superpowers" (i.e., psionics), so the builds are primarily mundane advantages and disadvantages and skills (which didn't really change very much).

Certainly, I can look into it if people would like to see that kind of article.
dance faster ;P

probably true.
Daeglan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jtas