Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #61
Greg 1

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 12: Ninja

Best interpretation of the ninja for a dungeon game ever. Great work!
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #62
b-dog

I really hope there is some more Asian stuff in the DF series. There was some in DF Summoners and DF Ninja is really cool so I would love to have a book on martial artists and mabe some Asian versions of wizards , knights and so forth. I never owned AD&D Oriental Adventures so I feel like I really missed out.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #63
tg_ambro

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I really hope there is some more Asian stuff in the DF series. There was some in DF Summoners and DF Ninja is really cool so I would love to have a book on martial artists and mabe some Asian versions of wizards , knights and so forth. I never owned AD&D Oriental Adventures so I feel like I really missed out.
I know you like stats/templates/monsters that have been specifically taken from real world lore or more "fleshed out" with fluff, but in actuality the components for a great Asian flavored DF game already exists. I know this because I spent a good part of the time after reading DF 12 planning out such a game.

My ideal party for such a game would be a Ninja (Ninja,) a Samurai (Knight,) a Shinto styled priest (Cleric,) and either a Wizard or Shaman to round out the magic aspect. Then as GM I would pick up Gurps Japan and a good primer on Asian mythology (I happen to own a few such books already, so dreaming up monsters or locations isn't that hard) to get my head out of the "quasi-Medieval" fantasy mode that my brain defaults to. After this all that's left is writing up an initial adventure and you have a memorable DF game for all time.

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:03 AM   #64
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
I know you like stats/templates/monsters that have been specifically taken from real world lore or more "fleshed out" with fluff, but in actuality the components for a great Asian flavored DF game already exists. I know this because I spent a good part of the time after reading DF 12 planning out such a game.

My ideal party for such a game would be a Ninja (Ninja,) a Samurai (Knight,) a Shinto styled priest (Cleric,) and either a Wizard or Shaman to round out the magic aspect. Then as GM I would pick up Gurps Japan and a good primer on Asian mythology (I happen to own a few such books already, so dreaming up monsters or locations isn't that hard) to get my head out of the "quasi-Medieval" fantasy mode that my brain defaults to. After this all that's left is writing up an initial adventure and you have a memorable DF game for all time.
I am reading some info on the far east but I would like to have some books that would give "finishing touches" to the templates to make them feel more Asian. Sure the Samuri is just a Knight but he has different equipment and maybe some unique powers that he can have. The magic system is different too and it would be nice to have some description of how it is different and so forth. Like how do they believe making potions work? Or what kinds of magic items do the wizards have? And their equipment? These might just be fluff but they would be very interesting to me.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #65
Stone Dog

My favorite Samurai concept has got to be a Swashbuckler with an ethnicool katana from Fantasy Tech.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #66
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
Nice! I've saved this to my Kromm extras folder (right next to the Anti Talent and such) and I have a question, is there any possibility this will be errata'd into DF 12? I'm pretty sure this wouldn't happen anytime soon as Low-Tech and Horror are sucking up all the brains, but it'd be cool if it were.
Unlikely, as this isn't errata. The root word of "errata" is "error," and this paragraph not being in the book isn't due to a mistake. Errata are for broken rules and typos.

For what it's worth, I have added this information to my unofficial DF additions -- the printable (PDF) collection that I personally stuff in my binder along with the actual DF books. You can find it here, in the intro to the DF articles.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #67
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The long and rather detailed list of ninja abilities is intended for both beginner ninja and master ninja. This supplement includes a basic template of the DF 1: Adventurers kind, lenses of the DF 3: The Next Level type, and abilities similar to those in DF 11: Power-Ups.
QFT.

The assassin does lack power-ups, on the other hand, but that's because he doesn't really get any detail in this book. (Which is the whole point -- the ninja is the star!) Now, if someone were to write up a DF11-style treatment of assassin power-ups, along with the kind of tactics and weapons used by such a delver . . . well, that'd make a pretty good Pyramid article, now wouldn't it?

(Secret message for authors or would-be authors: Hint, hint . . .)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}

Last edited by PK; 08-29-2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Poor phrasing
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #68
tg_ambro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Unlikely, as this isn't errata. The root word of "errata" is "error," and this paragraph not being in the book isn't due to a mistake. Errata are for broken rules and typos.
*Facepalm* I forgot that was the root word, so I see your point. It isn't so bad that it won't be written into the .pdf, I already have access to it and some of the Power Ups can be inferred. Before Kromm had written the Power Up block I assumed that Ninja Talent went up to, at least, six (like the Martial Artist.)

Quote:
For what it's worth, I have added this information to my unofficial DF additions -- the printable (PDF) collection that I personally stuff in my binder along with the actual DF books. You can find it here, in the intro to the DF articles.
Cool!

EDIT: RPK, I just noticed that we both are located in Asylums, small world!

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!

Last edited by tg_ambro; 08-29-2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Stunning Revelation!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #69
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Maybe I'll add it to my to-do list, if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:29 PM   #70
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
QFT.

The assassin does lack power-ups, on the other hand, but that's because he doesn't really get any detail in this book. (Which is the whole point -- the ninja is the star!) Now, if someone were to write up a DF11-style treatment of assassin power-ups, along with the kind of tactics and weapons used by such a delver . . . well, that'd make a pretty good Pyramid article, now wouldn't it?

And finally fulfill the actual intent of GURPS Assassins, that eventually became the pretty darn good Covert Ops.

It was also my first (and thankfully, last) experience in a playtest posting something along the lines of "this manuscript isn't good enough to bear the imprint of Steve Jackson Games.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, kromm explanation