Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Michael Hopcroft

Default Which Card Storage Products should I buy?

I now have two playable Munchkin sets (Star and Pathfinder) and I expect to acquire a few more (I might even pick up some stuff next weekend at Orycon if I have the money). And I'm expecting the Holiday package from Amazon next week. (I also have the old-style greyscale Munchkin decks with the first two expansions mixed in). Do I really want to keep all the cards in their own boxes, taking up more of my sorely limited storage space? Or is there a better way?

SJG offers two different sets of card storage boxes and I don't know which among these Amazon carries. I saw the huge "briefcase storage" boxes at the last Game Storm Game Day but that's a bit out of my range and probably needless at the moment. The questions are:

* do I want two boxes or three, and

* If I want to keep the sets separated (all game type and boosters of that type together) does any of the box sets make that easier or harder?

Of course, how I do that in general is the open question, as is how I would store any accessories I end up with like the Christmas Kill-O-Meter.

RIP Elisabeth Sladen 1948-2011
RIP Nicholas Courtney 1929-2011
Michael Hopcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
ChargerFan2121

Default Re: Which Card Storage Products should I buy?

In my experience, the Boxes of Holding work great! I would get the most recent set with the Door, Treasure, and Dungeon boxes. The door and treasure boxes have plenty of room for all cards (I have Munchkin 1-6 and 8, Legends, and plenty of boosters and these boxes hold them all).

As for separating the cards, the boxes don't have anything that helps keep cards apart, but what I have found that works is taking an index card and using it to separate any cards that need to be.

For storing accessories, this is where the dungeon box comes in to play. I don't know how big the Kill-O-Meter is, but I do know the dungeon box works great for storing level counters. Someone might be able to answer if a Kill-O-Meter will fit in the dungeon box.
ChargerFan2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Michael Hopcroft

The operative question is what I need a Kill-O-Meter for in the first place given that I have the Munchkin Level Counter app (with a built-in electronic KOM) -- but then again the app might not be allowed at all tables.

Speaking of which, quick question on the app: Are the Boons usable in non-fantasy games?

Old 11-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I would think most people would be happy to let you use the KOM function. It's mostly the Boons that cause some folks existential angst.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Ghornet

At this point I only have 2 core sets (Munchkin & Super Munchkin) 2 expansions and a copule of boosters. I use a sterilite plastic box and an American Cheese box I got from my local deli (an old Baseball Card trick) There's enough room for one more core set in the Cheese box and plenty of room next to it for dice, Kill-O-Meters etc. The rules sheets even fit. I printed dividers on card stock for the sets and boosters.

The Kill-O-Meter is about twice as long as the Fairy Dust Up Level Counter.
Game Changers & Holiday Suprise
Ghornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
EpicBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
I now have two playable Munchkin sets (Star and Pathfinder) and I expect to acquire a few more (I might even pick up some stuff next weekend at Orycon if I have the money). And I'm expecting the Holiday package from Amazon next week. (I also have the old-style greyscale Munchkin decks with the first two expansions mixed in). Do I really want to keep all the cards in their own boxes, taking up more of my sorely limited storage space? Or is there a better way?

SJG offers two different sets of card storage boxes and I don't know which among these Amazon carries. I saw the huge "briefcase storage" boxes at the last Game Storm Game Day but that's a bit out of my range and probably needless at the moment. The questions are:

* do I want two boxes or three, and

* If I want to keep the sets separated (all game type and boosters of that type together) does any of the box sets make that easier or harder?

Of course, how I do that in general is the open question, as is how I would store any accessories I end up with like the Christmas Kill-O-Meter.
As my signature implies, I own nearly all sets (though the Original will be a lot of cards in its own right). I had been using a box from a pair of boots to hold my games, until I got too many. So I went and bought the Cthulhu Crypts. Then I got more cards than they could hold (while keeping the sets together) and I went and bought the Meat Lockers. And soon I will need the Boxes of holding. I will probably get both set 1 and set 2. I will use set 2 for the original and set 1 for the other fantasy backed decks.

Now to answer your question, if you intend to own all Munchkin games and you have the money, buy a fancy case that can hold all the cards now. If you think you won't get all of them, but a lot, then get the boxes of holding set 2. As stated the Dungeon box should hold accessories pretty well. If you end up needing another box, then do as I did.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
Michael Hopcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicBlake View Post
Now to answer your question, if you intend to own all Munchkin games and you have the money, buy a fancy case that can hold all the cards now. If you think you won't get all of them, but a lot, then get the boxes of holding set 2. As stated the Dungeon box should hold accessories pretty well. If you end up needing another box, then do as I did.
I've seen MiBs at conventions having those huge metal boxes that look really nice, hold mass quantities of cards (it's telling that they generally bring them in pairs!), and probably weight several metric tons. I don't expect to go into it that big.

I'm going to see if they have Boxes of Holding at Orycon (the convention I'm going to next weekend here in Portland). If so I'll probably get a set. Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
EpicBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
I've seen MiBs at conventions having those huge metal boxes that look really nice, hold mass quantities of cards (it's telling that they generally bring them in pairs!), and probably weight several metric tons. I don't expect to go into it that big.

I'm going to see if they have Boxes of Holding at Orycon (the convention I'm going to next weekend here in Portland). If so I'll probably get a set. Thanks for the advice.
I haven't done a card count in a while, but sometime around when Zombies was announced I believe the card total was over 5,000. I am glad I could be of assistance.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
Zugzwain

I was using the boxes for a while but after i got almost all the sets i bought an old silverware box and converted it to hold all my sets, dice, rules, coins, dungeons, pawns, and level counting stuff.
Zugzwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:13 AM   #10
NeosMagus

I've got all the sets and expansions except for:
-Axe Cop
-Impossible
-Fu and Fu 2
-Pathfinder
-Legends

I have all 4 Box sets, and all my cards fit in snuggly with a little space to spare for maybe Pathfinder and Apocalypse 2 (when that comes out). After that I might have to look into alternative plans... either another box set, or maybe some customer box I could use.
NeosMagus is offline   Reply With Quote