Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 04-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
AndreaVallance

Default JTAS 17th April 2012

Another issue, time to subject people to my biased thoughts :)

Loren's Editorial: Sigh, makes me jealous, my local selection of roman ruins is rather limited. Mmmmm.... Urologists of the Third Imperium :)

Adventures in the Woken system (4500 words): Mark Gellis - Another well thought out and through system work up from Mark. A particularly large selection of "begin adventure here" points in this one. I wonder how much of Diasapora Mark has developed now? Suspect if we took his JTAS articles we'd likely have a decent sector book now.

For Love (3700 words): Andrew Vallance - A 'systemless' adventure. Since I'm the one who wrote it, I won't comment on it. Other than perhaps I rather had fun writing it.
AndreaVallance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
Mgellis

Default Re: JTAS 17th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewv View Post

Adventures in the Woken system (4500 words): Mark Gellis - Another well thought out and through system work up from Mark. A particularly large selection of "begin adventure here" points in this one. I wonder how much of Diasapora Mark has developed now? Suspect if we took his JTAS articles we'd likely have a decent sector book now.

For Love (3700 words): Andrew Vallance - A 'systemless' adventure. Since I'm the one who wrote it, I won't comment on it. Other than perhaps I rather had fun writing it.
"For Love" is a nice article. Good work.

As for Diaspora, hardly a sector book, although I've done a good chunk of two subsectors over the last couple of years. My "master plan" is to work my way through Diaspora and then Massilia. Both sectors have canonical basic information but very little about individual solar systems (with a few exceptions like the ones in the Megatraveller books). I'm also trying to select worlds on the basis of "if my player characters were at X, what's the next world they might go to?" so I'm mostly going one or two parsecs at a time from some previous article.

Other prospects (both for myself and anyone else who wants to write such articles) exist. Again, I would try to work my way world by world, so that the articles can be used as the foundation for a campaign...

* The Solomani Rim...well-developed already, but still a lot of worlds with almost no information besides the basic data...and a lot of Pop 8 and Pop 9 worlds, which means even if it got a full-page write-up in Rim of Fire, you could write a book about each one and still not be done.

* Deneb...not much done besides basic data

* Corridor...canonical basic information for a couple of subsectors, thanks to the GURPS Traveller world survey books...

* Parts of the the Trojan Reaches and the Reft (same as Deneb, basic data available in the Regency Sourcebook)

* Gvurrdon (canonical world data in the CT book on the Vargr and other sources)

* The whole freakin' Gateway Domain (canonical world data in Gateway to Destiny...with four sectors, there are plenty of worlds that need to be written up in more detail)...while the worlds would conceivably have changed a bit over 100 years (the T20 book is set around 990, as I recall), in Traveller it would not be too surprising if the basic data (population level, type of government, etc.) was basically the same.

That should probably keep my busy for a while... :)
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
AndreaVallance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
"For Love" is a nice article. Good work.
Thanks, though should also mention my LSVTP Megan for her help with the shoes.

Quote:
As for Diaspora, hardly a sector book, although I've done a good chunk of two subsectors over the last couple of years. My "master plan" is to work my way through Diaspora and then Massilia. Both sectors have canonical basic information but very little about individual solar systems (with a few exceptions like the ones in the Megatraveller books). I'm also trying to select worlds on the basis of "if my player characters were at X, what's the next world they might go to?" so I'm mostly going one or two parsecs at a time from some previous article.
Will wait patiently :)

Quote:
* The whole freakin' Gateway Domain (canonical world data in Gateway to Destiny...with four sectors, there are plenty of worlds that need to be written up in more detail)...while the worlds would conceivably have changed a bit over 100 years (the T20 book is set around 990, as I recall), in Traveller it would not be too surprising if the basic data (population level, type of government, etc.) was basically the same.

That should probably keep my busy for a while... :)
If you look (IIRC) in the T20 handbook, you'll find rules for regressing CT data to T20. Its just a matter of reversing that process :)

I was part of the playtest for GtD and yes the data was regressed, so changes to 1105 are appropriate.
AndreaVallance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
Mgellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewv View Post

If you look (IIRC) in the T20 handbook, you'll find rules for regressing CT data to T20. Its just a matter of reversing that process :)

I was part of the playtest for GtD and yes the data was regressed, so changes to 1105 are appropriate.
Sorry...not quite sure I understand. Do you mean things like the population, etc. was changed?
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jtas