Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 10-08-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
Jaded_Jackalope

Default Resources for New Orleans

Heyo. I played a couple sessions of In Nomine ages ago (must have been around 2004 or 2005). Recently, I picked up several books (core, Game Master's Guide, and a few player's guides). I'm currently feeling out running a game for one of the groups I play with.

I was wondering if there were any official resources for running a game set in New Orleans? As far as known tethers and that sort of thing? (Then again, any official resource for New Orleans would almost certainly be pre-Katrina, which is problematic).

I imagine it has a lot of tethers, both demonic and angelic, and likely also ethereal.
Jaded_Jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #2
Cooper

Default Re: Resources for New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded_Jackalope View Post
Heyo. I played a couple sessions of In Nomine ages ago (must have been around 2004 or 2005). Recently, I picked up several books (core, Game Master's Guide, and a few player's guides). I'm currently feeling out running a game for one of the groups I play with.

I was wondering if there were any official resources for running a game set in New Orleans? As far as known tethers and that sort of thing? (Then again, any official resource for New Orleans would almost certainly be pre-Katrina, which is problematic).

I imagine it has a lot of tethers, both demonic and angelic, and likely also ethereal.
There's no official New Orleans handbook. Liber Castellorum has some interesting things to say about the House of the Rising Sun, but that's about it.

I made a rather lengthy blog post at one point about setting up tethers for the San Francisco Bay Area, it might give you some ideas about how you'd want to set up tethers for New Orleans.

Also, I would suggest coming up with some ideas on how you want to handle the Mystères. The lazy solution is to treat them like either Kyriotates or Shedim, but you certainly have the potential to do much more.

Last edited by Cooper; 10-08-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:43 PM   #3
Jaded_Jackalope

Thanks for the speedy reply! I'm pleasantly surprised to find people still talking about the game. I had only played it briefly, and have run into relatively few people who have heard of it since.

Quote:
There's no official New Orleans handbook. Liber Castellorum has some interesting things to say about the House of the Rising Sun, but that's about it.
I wasn't really expecting a whole source book. You're making it sound like the Liber Castellorum isn't really what I'm looking for though. I remember my friend who ran the game back in '04 saying that New Orleans was lousy with tethers, but I don't remember if that's something she read in a source book or if it's something she made up. It's definitely something I agree with now, though.

Quote:
I made a rather lengthy blog post at one point about setting up tethers for the San Francisco Bay Area, it might give you some ideas about how you'd want to set up tethers for New Orleans.
I'll definitely take a look! I definitely have a few ideas of my own. . .

Quote:
Also, I would suggest coming up with some ideas on how you want to handle the Mystères. The lazy solution is to treat them like either Kyriotates or Shedim, but you certainly have the potential to do much more.
I'm. . . actually not familiar with the significance of that particular term. I'm guessing it has something to do with Voodoo and/or hauntings? On a somewhat related note, I can definitely see Papa Legba and the other loas showing up at some point as ethereal spirits with an interest in the goings on of the city.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:40 AM   #4
Cooper

Quote:
You're making it sound like the Liber Castellorum isn't really what I'm looking for though. I remember my friend who ran the game back in '04 saying that New Orleans was lousy with tethers, but I don't remember if that's something she read in a source book or if it's something she made up. It's definitely something I agree with now, though.
Liber Castellorum is the big book of tethers. It's probably worth nabbing just to see what each superior looks for in a tether (they've got some standard and some oddball choices for each of the main Superiors).

Quote:
I'm. . . actually not familiar with the significance of that particular term. I'm guessing it has something to do with Voodoo and/or hauntings? On a somewhat related note, I can definitely see Papa Legba and the other loas showing up at some point as ethereal spirits with an interest in the goings on of the city.
It's another term for Loa.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:56 AM   #5
Jaded_Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post

It's another term for Loa.
Ah. I've never heard them referred to in that way.

I think they'd probably be ethereals. Voodoo itself might work something like Hinduism, generating both celestial and ethereal essence. Or, perhaps the syncretization of the loa with Catholic saints is diverting their essence to heaven.

Tags
setting