Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 07-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Gidoza

Default Dungeon Of Comprehensive Curses

Two question about this dungeon...

First of all, regarding that the curses here affect all players in the party, my question relates to those curses that are persistent in their effects...

When the persistent curse comes up, and someone in the party cancels it with a Wishing Ring or Orc ability/something else, is the persistent curse gone permanently, or is it still hanging around affecting everyone OTHER than those who have cancelled it (for whoever they wanted to cancel it for)? This could be difficult to keep track of...

In any case, if it is the case that persistent curses are only cancelled for those who have individually cancelled them, then when the dungeon vanishes, is that curse still effective on all players over which it had previously been effective (even if the original target of the curse no longer has this curse effective)? Furthermore, what happens with persistent curses that existed before the dungeon came into play? Do these curses only affect the original target?

My second question relates to the last phrase of the dungeon description, about discarding some curse instead of using it to protect you...I haven't the faintest idea what this phrase is referring to, and the best part of my understanding of it could only relate to a Wand of Dowsing anyways, since I don't see how else one could take a curse to "protect" oneself, so I don't get it. What's going on, here?
Gidoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Dungeon Of Comprehensive Curses

The Dungeon states that for any method which cancels a Curse, "it only protects the one who played it." Thus, that would count for cancelling Curses later on too. Only you are saved, and the others are still considered to have a copy of the Curse unless they have gotten rid of it themselves.

Yes, that can lead to some tricky bookkeeping, but the way I handle it is to grab a deck which isn't being used at the current time and use face-down cards to represent duplicates of the Curse in question. If the Curse is cancelled for the real card, he just gives it to one of the players still hlding a duplicate (or discards it if he is the final player to remove the Curse).

As for the question of the Dungeon entering or leaving play, it is the Curse hitting you which is performed on all the Munchkins, not the effects of the Curse. Thus, Curses that hit you before the Dungeon came into play do not get spread to additional targets and players remained cursed when they leave the Dungeon.

The last part of the Curse is related to abilities which let you take a Curse that hits you into your hand instead of being hit by the Curse. There are very few of these, with the Mummy's Epic Feat from Munchkin Bites! 2 being one of the most obvious, although Fishing Ring in Munchkin 8 would count too. I'm fairly sure there's another card out there with this effect too, but the name is failing me and searching my database isn't helping.

The final sentence of the card is saying these abilities can't be used, I assume to avoid the arguments that would arise if there were two Epic Mummies that both wanted to take the Curse into their hands or otherwise.

Last edited by Clipper; 07-25-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
Gidoza

Default Re: Dungeon Of Comprehensive Curses

Thanks! :)
Gidoza is offline   Reply With Quote