Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #41
Refplace

Default Re: Ritual Path Magic for Dungeon Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Yeah; I'm not saying that it can't be made to work. But the steps needed to do so really cut into RPM's potential. RPM is, in essence, "GURPS Mage done right", with all of the flexibility that you would expect from Mage combined with the mystical feel that has always been a staple of the Path/Book Magic system since its earliest days in GURPS Voodoo: the Shadow War. Paring its versatility down so that it can fit within the confines of a D&D parody leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'd rather find some way to keep the versatility without trampling the themes and mood of Dungeon Fantasy if at all possible.
I will second that on all counts.
What about not changing the energy costs but increasing the amount of available energy?
Power objects and such could help but what about saying that certain material components actually either give you a bonus to your energy accumulation roll and/or give you more energy per roll?
Maybe with aspected for the real benefit.
So a Talisman of Fire is +2 to your skill roll for spells involving Fire and doubles the energy you get from each roll.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #42
blacksmith

To adapt RPM for DF the main thing I would do is to add a perk that would be a spell slot. This would be in essence a metaphysical charm that could be activated with a concentration maneuver.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #43
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
To adapt RPM for DF the main thing I would do is to add a perk that would be a spell slot. This would be in essence a metaphysical charm that could be activated with a concentration maneuver.
MH itself allows Telekinesis as a "minor levitation spell, known well
enough to use without ritual and energy". So there is precedent...

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #44
Langy

Quote:
This is exactly what I did with the Pre-Cast spells in the first post, though I made them take one of the normal conditional spell slots. Might be more appropriate to make them take a Perk slot each, I suppose.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #45
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
This is exactly what I did with the Pre-Cast spells in the first post, though I made them take one of the normal conditional spell slots. Might be more appropriate to make them take a Perk slot each, I suppose.
I was not adding in Expiry, given the risks in gathering energy(Imagine the first them they get a 200 point create energy crit fail on gathering energy only to have most spells expire unused). But otherwise similar. I put it as a perk to keep the magic system the same, so it is kind of like an accessory.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #46
Langy

Quote:
I was not adding in Expiry, given the risks in gathering energy(Imagine the first them they get a 200 point create energy crit fail on gathering energy only to have most spells expire unused). But otherwise similar. I put it as a perk to keep the magic system the same, so it is kind of like an accessory.
If you'll re-read my post, you'll note that you only roll for success on casting the spell when you use it. Thus, this never happens.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #47
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
If you'll re-read my post, you'll note that you only roll for success on casting the spell when you use it. Thus, this never happens.
So you never roll for gathering energy? Those rolls are the risky ones.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #48
Langy

Quote:
So you never roll for gathering energy? Those rolls are the risky ones.
Again, re-read the first post in this thread where I detailed all of this. You definitely roll for gathering energy, you just do so at spell casting time. Also, since you want to streamline stuff in a DF campaign, you use the 'quick and dirty charm creation rules' in MH:4 Sidekicks so that it only takes two rolls to gather energy and cast the spell (one roll to determine if you critically fail, one roll to determine the number of quirks in the spell). I'd consider even making that one roll, determining both the number of quirks and whether you failed or not.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #49
dataweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
MH itself allows Telekinesis as a "minor levitation spell, known well
enough to use without ritual and energy". So there is precedent...
True enough. You might even generalize this concept into a full-fledged Magical Power (or maybe several Powers, one per Path) that is only available to those with Ritual Adept: each Ability would correspond to one ritual, and would represent a spell that has been internalized to the point that the adept can use it without ritual or energy.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #50
vitruvian

Quote:
Conditional rituals can already be used without charms, albeit not exactly like the OP's 'Pre-cast' option, and the conditions don't need to be external to the caster - they can be things like loudly declaimed incantations or command words, highly visible mystic gestures, or throwing various 'material components' about even if they're not actually charms in themselves. I.e., good old Verbal, Somatic, Material components from Those Books.

Sure, they count against rituals 'on' and you're more restricted in terms of stacking effects and such, so that a Perk that allowed you to get around those restrictions in the way that Charm does with neither the need for a physical object nor the extra prep time would make a lot of sense, assuming you don't just allow a certain number normally as per the OP.

Actually, the Perk for 'spell slots' is a great idea, especially if we let them stay 'filled' until used as opposed to expiring after a day. Then you could have both the D&D, DF feel and preserve the flexibility of RPM for at least some of the more experienced mages. Simply have 'low-level' magic-users start out with Magery with a Grimoire-based limitation that can be bought off when they learn to start 'researching new spells', disallow Ritual Adept (at least the time reduction portion - might keep the rest depending how hard you want it to be to prep outside your wizard's tower or crypt) entirely, meaning that it does take hours and hours to memorize/prep all your spells, and anywhere from three to ten 'spell slot' Perks to start off with. Round out the rest of your Thaumatology + Magery allowed conditional rituals with charms that you can hoard to yourself or hand to other members of the party. Oh, and a Signature Gear or $$ purchased grimoire containing all the spells you can prepare would be essential, of course.

With that combination, you could have novices that can only prepare rote spells from their books, who eventually buy off the Grimoire-based limitation on their Magery and become capable of using the full flexibility of RPM while at home, although they can only ever fast cast a certain number of prepared spells while out adventuring. And prepping your spells while in the dungeon, while possible, will rarely actually be practical.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy, magic, monster hunters, ritual path magic, rpm