Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #11
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Default Re: [3e] Cutty Sark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
I used it for near-future designs, and I loved the way it yielded believable improvements over real-world vehicles for equivalent cost, or equal capabilities with reduced cost.
I have done write ups for Foxfire and the "Mirage 4000" using the TL7 design as a base and making it up as "the future arrives today" (i.e., a TL8 jet in a TL7 campaign. Both worked out great and "believable."

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:21 AM   #12
Ronnke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
The funny thing is that Cutty Sark(girl's underskirt) was the only clipper not given a grandiose name. And the only one to survive into the twentieth century. Go figure.
Only one other clipper still survives today. The City of Adelaide for which there are plans to have her restored and moved to Australia. After the fire of the Cutty Sark (terribly sad), the City of Adelaide is probably the most complete/original ship of her class left.

http://cityofadelaide.org.au/
Ronnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #13
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnke View Post
Only one other clipper still survives today. The City of Adelaide for which there are plans to have her restored and moved to Australia. After the fire of the Cutty Sark (terribly sad), the City of Adelaide is probably the most complete/original ship of her class left.

http://cityofadelaide.org.au/
Really? I heard that Cutty Sark was the last.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #14
Ronnke

Well, the Cutty Sark might end up being the last if the people looking to preserve the City of Adelaide can't get the appropriate funding.

The Scottish Maritime Museum who currently owns the ship put out tenders for the ships deconstruction. The land where the City of Adelaide is currently situated is set to be redeveloped, but the museum does not have the money to move the ship. In my opinion it would be a crime to destroy such a relic of our past, especially considering the ship is in very good condition.

As fair as I know they have managed to hold off the deconstruction crews, but are still chasing the money to get the ship moved.
Ronnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #15
Braun

What do you think is the reason for the disparity between the design draft of 10.5 and the actual draft of 21 feet?

Cargo weight?
Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #16
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelen Bleux View Post
I owned Vehicles for over a decade without really cracking the cover. But really, with a minimum of investment, the system is just pretty much spot-on. I think the biggest flaws are with ships (specifically volume and draft, which I have gotten around with the discovery of the Builder's Old Measure and simply doubling design draft) and simply the front-end learning curve. But after that, every time I design a vehicle it's like a little Christmas present to have the Design Speed match the Real-World speed!!

And once you've mastered Vehicles, Robots is a breeze.

The amount of effort that went into a design often made it a very poor use of game-prep time, IMO. Numerous small details that system produced were largely irrelevant in play.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #17
Phaelen Bleux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
What do you think is the reason for the disparity between the design draft of 10.5 and the actual draft of 21 feet?

Cargo weight?
No, I think that it is one of the errors of the Vehicles system. In fact, it seems that doubling the Draft almost always matches the historical value better when I have one; I list the design draft as a matter of technical-write-up-correctness.

If I were designing a boat without a real-world analog to compare it to, I would automatically double the design draft as more accurate for the physics of the design.

Last edited by Phaelen Bleux; 12-09-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #18
Phaelen Bleux

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The amount of effort that went into a design often made it a very poor use of game-prep time, IMO. Numerous small details that system produced were largely irrelevant in play.
All too true. At this point, it's a weird hobby of mine. Since I didn't upgrade to 4e, I elected to master all the ins-and-outs of 3e. . .especially designing things, since there would be no new material coming down the pipeline.

GURPS (then and now) could really use a book of basic vehicle designs all in one place, IMHO.

Tags
3rd edition, age of sail, ship, vehicle