Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Default [3e] Terra Wind RV

Terra Wind Amphibious RV (TL7)
If you can't decide on a motor coach or a houseboat, buy the Terra Wind RV--it's both! By placing the road transmission in neutral and the marine transmission in gear, a single engine powers the vehicle on road or in water. Although not considered ocean-worthy, the RV can withstand winds of up to 40 mph and waves of up to 3' without foundering.
The hull is made from aluminum, the chassis is steel, and the sidewall and roof or made of fiberglass reinforced plywood. It has two slide-out room extensions (with sponsons for balance in water) that create a 13' living room to port and bedroom to starboard. They can be extended both on land and in the water. Other amenities include a 22.5 cf refrigerator, trash compactor, convection/microwave oven, electric stove, dishwasher, clothes washer and drier, 42" plasma TV, DVD player, sound system, satellite TV dish, local TV antenna and an in-dash LCD screen.
The Terra Wind seats six and sleeps four. It burns 8.6 gallons of diesel per hour at routine usage. A full tank of fuel costs $180.

Subassemblies: Body +5, 6 wheels +2.
Powertrain: 246-kW improved wheeled drivetrain with 246-kW improved diesel engine, 246-kW light screw propeller, 18-kW improved diesel generator, 8,000-kWs lead acid battery.
Fuel: 150 gallons diesel in standard tank (Fire 9).
Occupancy: 1 RCS, 5 RPS (superior access for all).
Cargo: 140 cf.

Armor
All: 3/5

Equipment:
Body: Receive-only radio; 4x sound system (TV, DVD, CD, satellite dish); airbags (RCS and RPS); 6-man environmental control, GPS, navigation instruments, searchlight, small computer with terminal, galley, 110-gallon standard tank for fresh water, 55-gallon standard tank for gray water, 55-gallon standard tank for black water, hitch, four bunks (includes laundry, wash and toilet facilities) with superior access.

Statistics:
Size: 42.5'x8.5'x12.5' Payload: 3.4 tons Lwt.: 16.5 tons
Volume: 2,400 cf. Maint.: 32 hours Price: $386,178

HT: 12. HPs: 6456 Body, 464 each Wheel.

gSpeed: 85 gAccel: 3 gDecel: 15 gMR: 0.5 gSR: 4
Ground Pressure High. 1/6 Off-Road speed.
wSpeed: 8 wAccel: 2 wDecel: 10 (11) wMR: 0.1 wSR: 5
Draft: 3.5'. Flotation Rating: 75 tons.

Design Notes:
Body is 2,400 cf; wheels are 240 cf. Structure is Extra-Heavy, Standard. It has improved brakes. Armor is Expensive metal. Mechanical controls. Waterproofed. No Hydrodynamic lines. Empty weight is 28,230 lbs.
The design ran very light despite the extra-heavy frame and generous body volume. Design loaded weight was 28,089 lbs., this was increased 15% to the historical value. Design gSpeed was 62 mph, design wSpeed was 8.5 mph, and design draft was 2.1'. Real-world values are all shown above. List price in 2004 was $1.2 million.
Although the armor is a split between expensive metal and cheap composite (which are nearly identical in cost and weight anyways), it was all treated as expensive metal for ease of design.

Variants:
Future models of the Terra Wind will include 2 engines for better waterborne balance (one forward and one aft) and improved power. Expected output is 373 kW for road travel and 224 kW for marine use.

http://www.terrawind.com/terrawind.htm

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [3e] Terra Wind RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelen Bleux View Post
Terra Wind Amphibious RV (TL7)
I thought TL8 started in 2010 by 3e standards? Am I misremembering?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
No, you're right.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Well, technically, it is a design from 2004.

Sadly, it is probably also a subconscious indication of my technophobic lifestyle. I don't wanna live in TL8 dangit!!!

When I was designing the F-22, I still did it at TL7. I can't get it out of my 3e-geared head that TL8 is no longer the near-future (in which I therefore cannot be, since if I am alive, it must be the present, and thus TL7).

How's that for a demented defense?

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3rd edition, vehicle