Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2017, 06:48 PM   #81
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#32): Damage Resistance, Nictitating Membrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
As for Flynndaran's "cyborg with subcutaneous armor" example, which I should have commented on in my previous post, I'd say you need to No Signature to both layers of armor. The Limitation there isn't "Once I'm hit, they know I'm armored*," it's "getting hit reveals that I'm a cyborg." That's Reveals Secret, for +0% RAW, or using the appropriate value from the linked thread for a houserule.

*The sort of attack that a foe isn't going to be aware if they hit or not isn't going to cause much disruption of your disguise. In cases where the attack will reveal you, it's probably going to obvious to anyone watching you were hit, which in turn will make it clear that you're armored, even if you don't look like it. As the concealing layer stays damaged, such that you need to go out of your way to cover it up or you'll be exposed to those who didn't see you No-Sell a flamethrower, I could see justification for dropping the worth of No Signature on the underlayer to half.
Not all robots have hidden armor, so secret isn't an automatic requirement for my concept.

Unless you dictate that every viewer, no matter the angle of view, knows exactly where and with how much force a projectile or impact hits, I don't see why it's impossible for an extra point or two of hidden DR to be automatically revealed.

It's like my very character concept angers some here. I don't get that. I see two situations, one obviously slightly less disadvantageous. I could understand if people were saying that the difference is below Gurps resolution. But people are posting as if I'm not writing English.
I'm going to have to bow out on this thread and my question.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #82
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#32): Damage Resistance, Nictitating Membrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Not sure those two ideas go together - taking Will Not Wear Armor and DR with Doesn't Stack With Armor means you're getting points back for a Limitation that has no effect...
That's actually not true... it may have a reduced effect, but not no effect.

The Vow "Will Not Wear Armor" simply means you will not willing wear armor, unless you break your vow (which has it's own drawbacks).

The Limitation Does Not Stack With Armor means worn armor and your DR do not stack, even if you are mind-controlled or otherwise forced into wearing armor.

In this case I'd reduce the point total of the Vow to reflect the reduced nature of it's meaning. It still stops them from wearing magic armor with beneficial non-DR enchantments after all.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #83
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Would you explain what you mean? I've got a vague idea, but it is probably better for all to let you unpack it than for me to guess and probably need correction later. I suspect most already do understand, and it is just me. ^^'
Sure. Basically it boils down to the fact that you lose the Ablative and then the HP, and it leads to situations where healing one takes longer then the other. Also there's the problems of healing when all you've lost are the DR (Does stuff work) and the fact that Ablative works out to half the cost of HP for 1/11 the effect
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:56 PM   #84
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Not sure those two ideas go together - taking Will Not Wear Armor and DR with Doesn't Stack With Armor means you're getting points back for a Limitation that has no effect...
Yeah, I probably wouldn't allow a character with Cannot (/Will Not) Wear Armor take the Doesn't Stack with Armor Limitation on their DR. Additionally, the points saved through Doesn't Stack with Armor shouldn't exceed 80% of the worth of Cannot Wear Armor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Not all robots have hidden armor, so secret isn't an automatic requirement for my concept.
I had thought the problem was it revealing you were a cyborg. It appears I was mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Unless you dictate that every viewer, no matter the angle of view, knows exactly where and with how much force a projectile or impact hits, I don't see why it's impossible for an extra point or two of hidden DR to be automatically revealed.
Here's the way I see it. A gunshot is going to leave a tiny hole, meaning in the heat of combat it's unlikely anyone is going to really notice the armored layer - they are more likely to think you weren't hit than that you have some hidden armor. With attacks that will leave a noticeable effect - a barrage of bullets, a shotgun blast, a flamethrower, a sword swing, etc - your hidden layer will be revealed, but if you instead just had basic No Signature, your foes would still be likely to think you've got hidden armor, because you just took a volley of bullets and aren't even bleeding. That said, however, your setup has the drawback that your foes don't need to actually see you get hit for it to reveal the presence of your hidden armor - once it's been revealed, it stays that way until your "flesh" has regrown or been repaired/replaced. Halving the value of No Signature for that part of the armor seems about right (I mentioned this in that post, but the post was... poorly written, so I can see how it could have been missed). So, your outer layer, if it has any DR, would take it with No Signature. The inner layer has something like Delayed Signature, for half the price of No Signature. Using the RAW value, that means the outer layer has No Signature +20%, the inner layer has Delayed Signature +10%.

Last edited by Varyon; 02-17-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #85
Flyndaran
Untagged

Okay, I can see "delayed signature" as being a nice compromise fitting my niche idea.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:43 AM   #86
dds_ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
If you re-read the entry on p. B47, you notice that protecting Only One Arm is -40%. Remember, you multiply by two if only one limb is affected. A single arm is even the example, so it specifically calls it out as being worth -40%.

Whether that is worth it or not, I don't know. I did not quote your comment about Tech Level, but I think we can say that about most Advantages technology can well replicate.
Just protecting one arm might be useful in combination with the Iron Arm spell. If your spell succeeds, you block the attack without being harmed at all. But if your spell fails, it says that the enemy attack now hits you in the arm. If this one arm is now heavily armored, it doesn't matter any more whether your defense roll is successful or not.
dds_ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:42 AM   #87
dds_ks

I think that ablative or semi-ablative DR works best with high levels of regeneration.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:55 AM   #88
dds_ks

I once had a mage (TL 3) with DR 6, force field, absorption.
When I ran out of FP for spellcasting, some colleage just had to hit my force field with a rod or some weapon with "minimum strength" 3, so it could do maximum damage as if someone of ST 9 would use it: No risk of penetrating the DR, and after a few seconds I got all my FP - as using the points of absorption for healing FP or HP doesn't wear off after a few seconds.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:09 AM   #89
Jinumon

I realize this is something of a necro-post, but I figured it was better than starting a whole new thread. Does DR purchased as an advantage include the weaknesses relevant to Targeting Chinks in Armor, or would that be a Limitation? If it is a limitation, I haven't managed to find it in any of my PDFs. Where might I find it, or what do you think it should be worth as a limitation? -5%? -10%?

Jinumon
Jinumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:25 PM   #90
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinumon View Post
I realize this is something of a necro-post, but I figured it was better than starting a whole new thread. Does DR purchased as an advantage include the weaknesses relevant to Targeting Chinks in Armor, or would that be a Limitation? If it is a limitation, I haven't managed to find it in any of my PDFs. Where might I find it, or what do you think it should be worth as a limitation? -5%? -10%?

Jinumon
Apart from your eyes, or windows for a vehicle, no chinks in the armor that can be targeted like that, and I don't think it's a Limitation you can take.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessibility, advantage, advantage of the week, damage resistance, limited defenses, monstrous, nictating membrane, [basic]