Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2017, 09:06 AM   #51
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#32): Damage Resistance, Nictitating Membrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
He does, unless the Illuminati have arranged a coincidence. His quote is right there on the noted page, under Armour of Faith.
Yes, and that is, as far as I can tell, the origin of No Signature on DR. Does anyone have a page reference for it doing this other thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
But, as you note, being revealed by injury is not how DR(No Signature) works. But being hidden is not how regular DR works. So hidden DR that is revealed by injury is neither of those.
If it is revealed by injury then you don't have No Signature on any of your DR. That would be a paradox. It can't both be non-obvious and obvious at the same time.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 02-17-2017 at 09:44 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #52
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#32): Damage Resistance, Nictitating Membrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
If you re-read the entry on p. B47, you notice that protecting Only One Arm is -40%. Remember, you multiply by two if only one limb is affected. A single arm is even the example, so it specifically calls it out as being worth -40%.

Whether that is worth it or not, I don't know. I did not quote your comment about Tech Level, but I think we can say that about most Advantages technology can well replicate.
Good catch.

Yes, tech level has many advantages it interacts poorly with. DR is just one of the most prominent.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #53
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
If the top layer is on 1 DR, then that means any damage more than 1 pt would reveal information that would otherwise be hidden unless it penetrated all layers for say 12 pts of damage.
I suppose if the top layer wasn't ablative, then you do have a very small advantage here, essentially it has (No Signature, Accessibility Not When penetrated), but really that is probably not worth spending any points on. I would just call it a feature (at least for DR 1) because after any meaningful amount of damage you lose it.
Quote:
I guess people here are saying that it's a disadvantage not worth points, which is odd to me.
Secret is worth points.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:01 AM   #54
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Personally I don't like Ablative, I due to the way damage taken and healing works it can work out funky, I prefer semi-ablative and tough skin.
Would you explain what you mean? I've got a vague idea, but it is probably better for all to let you unpack it than for me to guess and probably need correction later. I suspect most already do understand, and it is just me. ^^'

Quote:
And what happens when someone decides to enchant those clothes? Hey it's a legitimate question, the clothes themselves don't have DR
The Limitation mentions in Basic that you either cannot or will not wear clothes. I don't think they worded it that way just in case someone with a Discipline of Faith, Vow, etc. happened to purchase the DR Advantage and wanted a cost break; this Limitation doubles as a player/GM pact (like every other trait, really). So if you take it, but there is a potential in-game workaround, you're agreeing not to make use of it. If you want to be able to wear armor under the rare circumstances it would be available to you... is there an official Limitation for that, or would we need to cobble one together. I'm failing at finding it in the 4e rules, but it might qualify as a Nuisance Effect under the 3e rules: "Requires Custom Made Worn Equipment." Now, I think there was an entire Disadvantage for that under the 3e rules.

Quote:
I've often wondered if there should be a reverse of Unusual Background for reducing the cost of traits that are supposed to be common in the setting.
I don't know if I've ever voiced it, but I've meant to as well. Technically, we have this as part of the guidelines for being a GM. I don't have the page number handy, but the GM is supposed to adjust the CP costs for Advantages to ensure they are appropriately valuable for the setting. We just have a special label for when it adjusts the price up (Unusual Background).

Quote:
I figure that this is because the Hot Location rules are optional and that even if they are used most hits are going to be to the Torso anyway, so giving a decent discount there is rather broken.
Pretty much; though I might see it being worth a tiny bit more simply because skull/face DR is pretty important as well. Just having unarmored limbs, though? A 10% discount is at least in the ballpark.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #55
Kalzazz

So if I shoot Supergirl with a rifle, and she stays up, do I know its because she's got great DR and I need to try a Panzerfaust or something instead, or do I just think I need to shoot her more times with the rifle?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #56
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
So if I shoot Supergirl with a rifle, and she stays up, do I know its because she's got great DR and I need to try a Panzerfaust or something instead, or do I just think I need to shoot her more times with the rifle?
It is well known that Kryptonians are invulnerable on Earth, so you probably think that you either need to use magic or kryptonite or to surrender. I think the only reasons that people ever shoot normal guns at the S is a) panic, b) street cred, or c) it could just be some normal idiot in a costume, so might as well.

Neither of the last Els have No Signature, on DR, because it is pretty obvious they are invulnerable when you do shoot them with a rifle, panzerfaust, FAE warhead, ect. Standing unharmed while bullets and explosions bounce of off them is one of the iconic images for these characters, and is an endlessly repeated motif in all media that features them.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 02-17-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #57
Kalzazz

I flunked my Hidden Lore (Supers) check, so I don't know she's a Kryptonian. I just know she is very rudely still standing after I shot her

How do I tell whether its DR or if she has high HP or dice gods hate my damage rolls?
Old 02-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #58
Kalzazz

So if it is common setting knowledge that Kryptonians have high DR, even though you can't tell one from a human until you shoot him or her, why is it different for various monsters? Its pretty common knowledge monsters 'Need More Killing' than humans to
Old 02-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #59
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I flunked my Hidden Lore (Supers) check, so I don't know she's a Kryptonian. I just know she is very rudely still standing after I shot her
It isn't Hidden Lore, it's Current Events (at probably a significant bonus; Superman may be the single most famous person in the world); Superman is widely documented in the news. You wouldn't know about her vulnerabilities, but you definitely know that she is Superman's cousin, from the planet Krypton, and she is at the very least capable of flight, invulnerability, and super-strength.

Quote:
How do I tell whether its DR or if she has high HP or dice gods hate my damage rolls?
She doesn't have No Signature on her DR, so you see and hear your bullets bouncing off of her and she melts your rifle with heat vision, anyway.

And yes, despite what Bill says, you can see ricochetting bullets, and you definitely can hear them. Even if you couldn't in real life, in comics people who shoot at invulnerable heroes seem to be aware of this.

Quote:
why is it different for various monsters? Its pretty common knowledge monsters 'Need More Killing' than humans to
What monsters are you talking about?

Last edited by sir_pudding; 02-17-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #60
Kalzazz

Monsters in MH which is where No Signature originated. Since one of the core concepts of MH is that 'Monsters exist, and they need a higher yield of killing than garden variety efforts bring to the table'

Tags
accessibility, advantage, advantage of the week, damage resistance, limited defenses, monstrous, nictating membrane, [basic]