Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2019, 05:07 AM   #1
Crystalline_Entity

Default [Sorcery] Mirror of Mental Prowess

I've been trying to write up a version of D&D's Mirror of Mental Prowess as a magic item for use with GURPS using Sorcery (I realise it'll be really expensive). I'm struggling with a few things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder SRD
  1. Read the thoughts of any creature reflected therein, as long as the creature controlling the mirror is within 25 feet of the mirror, even if those thoughts are in an unknown language.
  2. View other places as if with clairvoyance, and the controller can even view locations on other planes if she is sufficiently familiar with them.
  3. Use it as a portal to visit other places. The controller first views the place with the clairvoyance function, then steps through the mirror to the place pictured. Others can follow her through the mirror if they like. An invisible portal remains on the other side where she arrives, and she can return through that portal. Once she returns, the portal closes. The portal closes on its own after 24 hours (trapping the user if she’s still in the other place), and the user can also close it with a command word. Creatures with Intelligence scores of 12 or higher might notice the portal just as they might notice a magical sensor from a scrying spell. Any creature who steps through the portal appears in front of the mirror.
  4. Once per week the mirror accurately answers one short question regarding a creature whose image is shown on its surface (giving answers similar to those from the legend lore spell).
So far, I've got:
  1. Mind Reading (Accessibility, Only those with reflections, -20%; Sorcery, -15%; Universal,+50%) [35]
  2. Clairsentience (Aware, +50%; Reliable 5, +25%; Second Nature, +70%; Sorcery, -15%; World-spanning, +50%) [128] - Reliable 5 is to buy-off the -5 penalty for having a viewpoint you can't see
  3. Warp (Blind, +50%; Extended Duration (x10,000), +160%; Extra-Heavy Encumbrance, +50%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Gyroscopic, +10%; Improved, +10%; Magical, -10%; Reliable 5, +25%; Tunnelling, +100%; Warp-Jump, +10%) plus Jumper (World; Extended Duration (x10,000), +160%; Extra-Heavy Encumbrance, +50%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Gyroscopic, +10%; Improved, +10%; Magical, -10%; Tunnelling, +100%; Warp Jump, +10%) - I've given Warp Reliable 5 to cancel out the penalty for Blind
  4. I think this is a version of Blessed [10] with a limitation for "only those viewed in the mirror" - maybe -10%, together with Sorcery, -15% for [8]?

The main problem I have is increasing the range. It's unclear to me what the original source expects the range to be, though being able to view/travel to other worlds implies to me that it's very long. Clairsentience has a fixed range, and it's very expensive to increase this (+190% for a range covering an entire planet). I'm not sure if there's a canonical way of removing range restrictions?
(Adding Cosmic, +300% sounded right at first, but if you spend the same number of points on Increased Range you won't even get as far as Jupiter).

Warp on the other hand takes range penalties, so Long-Range should buy them off, but Warp's range penalties aren't on the list that Long-Range affects (P108). It looks like it's between long-distance modifiers and "unlimited" in the scale; long-distance modifiers increase range by ten for each -2, and warp increased by ten for each -1. Could Long-Range 1 give unlimited range when applied to Warp?

I'm also not sure if any of these take Link - the original view has a few "must be viewed in the mirror first" requirements.

Any thoughts or help and advice would be appreciated!
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote