Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #11
malloyd

Default Re: Things to do with Level 1 Telekinesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
16. And Electronics, Biology (Microbiology), Surgery, Hobby (Minatures Painting), really lots of stuff benefits from fine non-contact control of tiny, tiny things.
Nothing about TK indicates you get any finer control than you do by hand. Though it does rather generously offer a +4 bonus I really think you ought to pay for High Manual Dexterity (TK only) to get.

But lock-picking is likely to be a special case. If you have a tool that will push the right spots you don't need any skill at all to open most mechanical locks. If you can push the same spots with your TK that you could with the key, that should still be true.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #12
hollybargle

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Nothing about TK indicates you get any finer control than you do by hand.
No, but you do essentially have an extra pair of hands that do not get in the way, at all. Plus, hands are naturally a bit shaky. If you are able to focus your mind properly (i.e. high IQ or TK skill), then objects you manipulate wouldn't have that shakiness.
hollybargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #13
hollybargle

Of course, you will still have to have enough TK strength in order to actually carry/use whatever object you are trying to manipulate. At only 1 level, you probably wont be able to lift much.
hollybargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by arconom View Post
False
Then what good is it? I have to take Concentrate maneuvers to touch stuff with my hands isn't an advantage. It also isn't spooky action at a distance.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #15
LemmingLord

Vending machine burglary.
LemmingLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #16
dcarson

Hitting the power switch on equipment can be useful. Nudging things off a desk or shelf as a distraction.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #17
Bruno

Fishing out that screw that fell down inside your computer case. You can SEE it between the daughter board and the bottom of the case, but you can't REACH it...

Scratching that annoying itch.

Impressing people at parties with your floating cocktail trick.

Applying (or removing) a sticking bandage in an awkward spot; having a boil on your butt is bad enough, having to ask someone else to help you with it is just adding insult to injury.

Gill (the ARM) Hamilton, from some of Larry Niven's short fiction, had a single reach C ST 1 telekinetic "arm" - along with Linked (+10%) sense-of-touch clairsentience. He literally had an invisible intangible arm that wasn't very strong. The addition of the sense of touch was "handy", and of course being a fiction character he grossly violates the "rules" set out for the character in a few dramatic places, but he does a lot of small things with it that prove even a single reach C invisible intangible hand with ST 1 is better than no invisible intangible hands at all.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:44 PM   #18
PTTG

Let's get it out of the way:

+4 to Erotic Art rolls.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:58 AM   #19
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Gill (the ARM) Hamilton, from some of Larry Niven's short fiction, had a single reach C ST 1 telekinetic "arm" - along with Linked (+10%) sense-of-touch clairsentience. He literally had an invisible intangible arm that wasn't very strong. The addition of the sense of touch was "handy", and of course being a fiction character he grossly violates the "rules" set out for the character in a few dramatic places, but he does a lot of small things with it that prove even a single reach C invisible intangible hand with ST 1 is better than no invisible intangible hands at all.
I think that Gil had more than ST 1 in his TK arm. And his reach was whatever appeared to him to be within the reach of a normal arm, such as through a video phone; I have no idea what sort of modifier that would be in GURPS.

I remember that it was suggested that he get hypnotherapy to make his range longer, but he refused because he didn't want the chance of losing his arm.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #20
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
Let's get it out of the way:

+4 to Erotic Art rolls.
You can stimulate things that none of your physical appendages can even touch. Heck yes.

Tags
eye poke, eye rake, telekinesis