Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Scenarios

Old 11-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #1
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Final Polish?

Jen,

Will we get to see the "final" versions before the scenarios are released and will the scenario authors get to weigh in on the finished product?
Old 11-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #2
Jen

Default Re: Final Polish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Jen,

Will we get to see the "final" versions before the scenarios are released and will the scenario authors get to weigh in on the finished product?
That's a really good question! I will find out!

(Why do I suddenly feel like I'm on a debate show?)

Jen
Old 11-04-2015, 11:13 AM   #3
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
That's a really good question! I will find out!
I brought it up because I'm sure the authors (at the very least) would like to have a chance to sign off on the final product, especially since their name will be on it.

Quote:
You should read the debate over beach hexes sometime if you want a "Debate show" feel. ;-)
Old 11-04-2015, 07:20 PM   #4
wolf90

Although I understand the desire to have a gander at the final product prior to release, I fear that in doing so it would allow too many changes preventing SJGs from locking down the product.

I remember the struggle that Steve had getting all of the sponsors to sign-off on their sheets. I still think we may have pushed him into semi-retirement! And for that I am deeply sorry…

If there are quantitative changes to a specific scenario, I could perhaps see reaching out to the author for a quick once-over (with a very strict deadline!), but anything more invites paralysis.

I believe the rights reverted to SJGs upon submission, so there is no obligation by them to get author approval.

Personally, I'm good either way. Just my two bits…

Drew
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:00 PM   #5
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
If there are quantitative changes to a specific scenario, I could perhaps see reaching out to the author for a quick once-over (with a very strict deadline!), but anything more invites paralysis.

I believe the rights reverted to SJGs upon submission, so there is no obligation by them to get author approval.
Yeah, I can understand that being an issue. I'm not talking about fixing typos and that kind of stuff, I'm thinking more along the lines of scenarios where significant issues were noted and several options (that have large swings in the overall gameplay) were presented as solutions. A few of these had a lot of unanswered questions in the feedback that would completely change the scenario depending which path was taken.

I'd like to think the author's opinion is worth something in the final assessment of which fix is the most agreeable, even if it's just a quick "here are the two ways we are planning to fix the scenario, which is closer to what you intended?"
Old 11-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #6
wolf90

Certainly if the specifics of the scenario were altered in any substantial way, I agree that checking in with the author is valid. Perhaps Jen has been doing this all along, as each scenario closed. But on the whole I think that A) there haven't been many (if any) substantial changes, with the tone being more of a "let's clarify this" as we went along; and B) the authors certainly had the opportunity to participate (blinded to everyone else, obviously) in the discussion of each scenario.

Again, I'm not opposed to the idea. I'm just very cognizant of how this can get stuck in the mud with too much further input. But it's not my call to make. Jen will do what's right by the game and the company, I'm sure.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:37 AM   #7
gev

Quote:
Because it's not hosted by FOX or CNBC... :)
Old 11-27-2015, 03:43 AM   #8
gev

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Jen,
Alas, Jen is no longer with SJGames, as you may have noticed if you follow the Daily Illuminator. :(

[ETA: Ahem: Follow the Kickstarter updates!]

Last edited by gev; 11-27-2015 at 03:51 AM.
gev is offline   Reply With Quote