Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-07-2018, 05:33 PM   #11
CardDiceian

Default Re: Research and knowledge

I don't know why it's not sinking in - But I just can't get my head round this contests subject.

Maybe when I have the books in front of me, and set myself up a couple of examples it will suddenly click.
CardDiceian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:55 PM   #12
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Contests (Opposed Rolls)
Sometimes two players, or a player character and an NPC, are in a “contest.” This might be a literal contest, like arm-wrestling, or a metaphorical one, such as a non-violent interrogation.
Each figure rolls dice – normally 3 dice against the relevant stat, but see below. The winner is the one who makes their roll by the greatest amount. In case of a tie, the GM provides a bit of narration: “The two of you strain, but neither one budges a bit.” Then roll again.
Appropriate talents, as judged by the GM, could let you roll on fewer dice, but obviously you cannot roll fewer than 1 die.
The two sides also don’t have to roll against the same stat. To hold onto a greased pig, you might roll your ST versus the pig’s DX.
The GM can use this mechanic in other ways:
• Multi-player contests (who gets a thrown dagger closest to the mark?)
• Multi-round contests, where you have to be ahead by two or more victories to settle the matter (a race through an obstacle course; a poker game).
• “Player vs. world” contests (can your speech sway the crowd?) Roll your IQ, modified by appropriate talents, against the crowd’s average IQ of 10.
Do Crit success get any edge?
Crit Failure cause an embarrassing moment or worse?

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:34 PM   #13
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardDiceian View Post
I don't know why it's not sinking in - But I just can't get my head round this contests subject.

Maybe when I have the books in front of me, and set myself up a couple of examples it will suddenly click.
When I was learning Fate, which was the first game I encountered that had contests like this, it took me QUITE a while to understand a lot of the different nuances. Contests were one, "aspects" were another (aspects are a whole different ball of wax but they're a very powerful and elegant mechanic).

It wasn't until I had actually tried out the mechanics in play for a while that I was really able to understand the subtleties

With contests, for example, it was a long time before we realized the rolls could "form a script", which is why I made sure to put that in the example in my little contest rules doc.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote