Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-01-2018, 05:39 PM   #21
zot

Default Re: Help! Do you have information on old articles, reviews, and news stories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Phil,
That newspaper article is illegible to me. Any chance that its text can be put on a webpage somewhere?

Warm regards, Rick.
Here's the link to the image, which you can scale in your browser:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhBglwcUEAMdcP-.jpg:large
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:15 AM   #22
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Help! Do you have information on old articles, reviews, and news stories?

Newspapers are always enjoyable.

https://twitter.com/philipjreed/stat...72097984892928

Prepare for "man-to-mam" combat!!!

Last edited by philreed; 07-02-2018 at 07:22 AM.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #23
Celjabba

A quick search found a mention in the news section of Gaming French magazine "Casus Belli" n11p7 (1982) but it is only a couple sentences announcing "The Warrior-Lords of Darock" & "The Forest Lords of Dirah".

I also found a couple one line quotes about the game in later editions, but no review, full or otherwise.

White Dwarf 35 editorial (column pg 9) quote a survey based on number of units sold in 1982, with TFT in 4th place. (Author Ian Livingstone)

Last edited by Celjabba; 07-02-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #24
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
A quick search found a mention in the news section of Gaming French magazine "Casus Belli" n11p7 (1982) but it is only a couple sentences announcing "The Warrior-Lords of Darock" & "The Forest Lords of Dirah".

I also found a couple one line quotes about the game in later editions, but no review, full or otherwise.

White Dwarf 35 editorial (column pg 9) quote a survey based on number of units sold in 1982, with TFT in 4th place. (Author Ian Livingstone)
I've got that issue!

"A recent survey carried out in the USA based on number of units sold, showed the 10 bestselling RPGs to be D&D, AD&D, Traveller, The Fantasy Trip, Top Secret, C&S, T&T, RuneQuest, Space Opera, Arduin Grimoire in that order."
- Ian Livingstone, White Dwarf #35, November 1982
Old 07-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #25
luguvalium

These magazines and articles were listed in the TFT section at Wayne's Books:

Crypt of the Living Dead, a Fantasy Trip adventure, Pegasus Magazine, Issue 11, 1983

A MODEST PROPOSAL (Some modifications for The Fantasy Trip) Different Worlds Magazine, Issue 15, 1981

TFT/The Fantasy Trip: MELEE [Melee I: Playing the numbers * Melee II: All fighters are not created equal * Melee III: Dueling dragons * Melee IV: Ready, aim, firearm!, Dragon Magazine, Issue 41, 1980

The Oldcastle Inn - A mini-dungeon for The Fantasy Trip or AD&D; The Dungeoneer Journal, Issue 18, 1980
luguvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:48 PM   #26
JLV

It's been kind of fun finding some of these old articles that I didn't even know I had! (My copies of Dragon and Pegasus, for instance, are scans.) That dungeon in Pegasus 11 looks like it would be a fun one-night adventure to run!

Now if I could only find a copy of Dungeoneer's Journal 18 for the inn! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:54 PM   #27
GlennDoren

I can't NOT mention Fantasy Gamer #1, "Where We're Going" column, since that's where Steve talks about the future of TFT after Metagaming, and he uses my letter(!) in his column :D I was 14 or so at the time I wrote it. I remember faking being sick that day to stay home from school, writing the letter while on my bedroom floor, with my melee stuff spread out... playing some microquest. I can't recall which one.

Good times!
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:58 PM   #28
GlennDoren

I have all 8 issues of Interplay in case you need anything from 'em...
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:26 AM   #29
DarkPumpkin

In the fanzine "The Grimoire" Vol II No 1, Summer 1979, there is an article "Extension of the Melee/Wizard Game System" by Randall Stukey. The pdf is floating around out there. Interesting little mag with some early art by Denis Loubet.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #30
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennDoren View Post
I have all 8 issues of Interplay in case you need anything from 'em...
I only own issues 5, 6, and 8.

Any opinion on how accurate this index really is?

http://www.gamecabinet.com/info/InterplayIndex.html