Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:13 AM   #31
Mack_JB

Default Re: Developing Ogre as a miniatures game

My .02, FWIW.

So I've been meeting up with a local guy (Martin Gallo, the Ogrezine CRT guy) for the last nine months, almost weekly, to play Ogre, at a FLGS. While I say weekly, we missed a bunch around the holidays, and with Summer here, are missing again. Scheduled for today though! We play with ODE or 6E components, and now with minis.

Thus, we've managed to get in about 24 game days, playing two or three games per session. We meet in mid-afternoon at the FLGS -- and yet, not once has anyone come up and asked what we're playing, beyond one guy Martin already knows and plays other games with. Even the staff has been unobtrusive. It doesn't help you can't buy 6E in the store (not on the shelf) -- though they do have a nice Munchkin display.

Shy of getting a bullhorn and blaring it at other gamers ... I'm not sure what to do.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #32
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
My .02, FWIW.

So I've been meeting up with a local guy (Martin Gallo, the Ogrezine CRT guy) for the last nine months, almost weekly, to play Ogre, at a FLGS. While I say weekly, we missed a bunch around the holidays, and with Summer here, are missing again. Scheduled for today though! We play with ODE or 6E components, and now with minis.
Similar! Right now it's herding cats because there's about 10 of us, we aren't in the rhythm of a routine, and this is a VERY busy summer both for personal events and for MtG, but we're meeting semi-regularly. About the only foot traffic we get is when we share space with a "low turnout" MtG event, then it's lots of chatter with people on their 'bye' rounds.

Also hitting two conventions and an Extra Life event per year. Would love to expand to 4 cons and the EL, but for 2018 [and possibly 2019] the cash isn't there for it between home repairs, kickstarters, and each event being at minimum a $400 weekend between hotel / badge / kennel / food / etc.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #33
wolf90

I want to thank everyone that has taken time from their day to offer insightful responses to my query. This is fantastic feedback. In my other line of work one of our core principles is seek feedback often (and I will be starting my public "job review" thread soon!). I truly appreciate the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
The best way to see a game in your local stores remains: Ask and ask often. Preorder. Ask your friends who want the product to preorder.

If retailers and distributors see a sustained demand for a game line, they will stock it.
Ultimately, this is absolutely key. Retailers will stock what people ask for. Simple supply and demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
How often do you see Ogre articles in the hobby's publications?
Now this is something that I began poking a bit last year on the BGG when I sought out what people were reading re: games. After speaking with Phil last week, I have re-reviewed my notes and am pulling together a list of potential magazines of whom I plan to submit articles/scenarios/etc. Although I hope to see Ogrezine progress, getting exposure in other publications might do the game more good in the long run.

Please feel free to let me know what magazines (paper or digital) you feel would reach the widest audience that might be interested in our game. I've the BGG list of magazines, and am familiar with many, but I am far enough removed that I don't know which are the magazines. (Oh, how I miss the days of The Space Gamer! The choices were so much easier . . . ) I intend to target both board game and miniature publications.

Quote:
We meet in mid-afternoon at the FLGS -- and yet, not once has anyone come up and asked what we're playing, beyond one guy Martin already knows and plays other games with. Even the staff has been unobtrusive. It doesn't help you can't buy 6E in the store (not on the shelf) -- though they do have a nice Munchkin display.

Shy of getting a bullhorn and blaring it at other gamers ... I'm not sure what to do.
Hmmm . . . How much is a bullhorn?

<grin>

Seriously, perhaps a simple sign that says, "Ask us what we're playing. You won't be disappointed!" while you play might do the trick. People are by nature shy; although gamers are a gregarious lot, they will also generally leave other gamers to their game rather than interrupt. Or host an Ogre event; my guess is we can support it in some manner.

Again thank you, everyone, for helping me develop ideas and plans to move our beloved game forward.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #34
Mack_JB

So today we played again, and lo and behold, we had not one, but two someones looking!

The first looked, then asked "is that Ogre?" ... but as it turned out, he already knew my opponent, and also had got the ODE off KS when it was around -- he just never gets a chance to play. We showed him the new minis, he liked them, but other than that, that was it.

Next, we had two employees that know him, and they asked if the large stand-up CRT I made comes with the game, -- sadly, no, but it's easy to make ... then some general small talk about how nice the board looks.

After that, we just played our game (special scenario, update later in another thread once I get the bugs out).
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:29 PM   #35
TheAmishStig

Quote:

Next, we had two employees that know him, and they asked if the large stand-up CRT I made comes with the game, -- sadly, no, but it's easy to make ... then some general small talk about how nice the board looks.
Nice! I'll probably settle for the Cheat Sheets for individual players, and when it comes time to do Monopolis-style events make a giant quick ref for Terrain effects.

That was something I learned very quickly once I started doing Car Wars at events: "Wow" factor is everything when it comes to walk-ups. If what you're doing makes someone stop and say "What is that?", at bare minimum you get an elevator pitch.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Old 06-25-2018, 07:51 PM   #36
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
That was something I learned very quickly once I started doing Car Wars at events: "Wow" factor is everything when it comes to walk-ups. If what you're doing makes someone stop and say "What is that?", at bare minimum you get an elevator pitch.
Thus, Ogre Miniatures, especially for those of you with painting skill. (And we've collected a number of tutorials on that!)

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #37
Izzy_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Thus, Ogre Miniatures, especially for those of you with painting skill. (And we've collected a number of tutorials on that!)

D.
I realize that it’s an edge case but I suspect that being able to demo a game of well painted minis here in Japan might be an effective hook as minis satisfy a couple of things people here like: collecting and customizing.

The things in the way of me trying that is availability of minis here and that it would really require translating the rules.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:10 PM   #38
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post

D.
I am rapidly doing my part for that. ;)
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:03 PM   #39
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I am rapidly doing my part for that. ;)
I need to get off my butt and start doing more of my part for that.

And figuring out how I'm going to prime GITD miniatures without covering up the GITD. I really didn't think that bright idea through...
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Old 06-26-2018, 12:07 AM   #40
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
And figuring out how I'm going to prime GITD miniatures without covering up the GITD. I really didn't think that bright idea through...
Narrow tape.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote