Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
Jareth Valar

Default Martial Arts, Kusari and Rope Dart conundrum

OK, looking through Martial Arts and I have a serious conundrum. The Rope Dart and Chain Whip are traditionally Chinese martial arts weapons, however there is only 1 Chinese martial arts that gets the potential use of the skill, and that happens to be Kunato, the MAa of the Chinese in Malaysia and Indonesia.

Now, Rope Dart and Chain Whip use the Kusari skill, of which there are 9 arts that have the skill as either main or optional and most of these are Japanese arts that focus on the more traditioinal kusarigama or manriki-kusari.

Now, several (4 to be exact) of the Chinese MA's have Whip and/or Whip Art.....completely useless to them for the apparent reason they were given. I have only seen 3 total weapons that use whip between MA, Core Rules, Low Tech, etc. and they are Urumi, Whip and Light Whip...not the weapons of Chinese MAs.

I'm just trying to understand this. The easiest fix I can think of is to allow the Rope Dart and the Chain Whip to be used with the Whip/Whip Art/Whip Sport skills, like the way the Jian can be used with either Broadsword or Rapier.

Any thoughts on this or am I nuts?

P.S. I have also looked at the errata, and nothing mentioned.
Jareth Valar is offline   Reply With Quote