Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 09-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
KinkySka

Default Unplugged! And Wandering Monster

Unplugged! says that one-shot cards already played into the combat are discarded and have no effect.
So, a if I was to use Wandering Monster and a Monster, could someone play Unplugged! and get rid of the Monster and the Wandering Monster card?
My thought is that the Wandering Monster card, even though it can only be used once, is not considered a "One Shot" card. But even if the card is a one-shot card, then even if Unplugged got rid of Wandering Monster, the monster is already in the combat and is not a lasting effect of the Wandering Monster card.
So, does Unplugged! get rid of Wandering Monster and the Monster played with it?
KinkySka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Unplugged! And Wandering Monster

Wandering Monster is a one-shot card and would be discarded, but the additional monster is not, I believe. It's been ruled on similar cards to Unplugged! (e.g., Restraining Order) that only the continuing effects of one-shots that are removed are cancelled, not the ones that have already resolved. Thus, the monster stays. Similarly if a card had been used to kill a monster, such as if the Potion of Halitosis were used in a fight that included the Floating Nose, the monster would not resurrect itself.

The types of cards that are cancelled are the +X to either side type cards that were used.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
RL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Wandering Monster is a one-shot card and would be discarded
I'm not sure I agree with you Clipper (see below, although admittedly it's referring only to items). Do you have a prior ruling that says otherwise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules
One-shot items, such as potions, may be played directly from your hand during combat. You can also use one-shot items that you already had in play. One-shot items say “Usable once only.”
Old 09-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL View Post
I'm not sure I agree with you Clipper (see below, although admittedly it's referring only to items). Do you have a prior ruling that says otherwise?
The thing is that Unplugged! talks about one-shots, not one-shot Items. One-shot Items need "Usable once only" text but Items missing that text that work like a one-shot Item (e.g., Wand of Dowsing) have also been included in the past. Seeing as non-Items don't need (and rarely have) the "Usable once only" text, I've been using this latter definition to be included in the group of one-shots.

I don't have an official source for this, so I may be wrong...
Old 09-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Brf

In this post http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...09&postcount=3 MM includes Monster Enhancers as a one-shot card, so Unplugged! includes more than just one-shot Items.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Clipper

Good find, Brf, and thank you very much for the backup.

Tags
one shot items, one time use, unplugged, wandering monster