Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 02-22-2016, 08:47 PM   #51
ammulder

Default Re: Combat Garage Update

Thanks, I'll check out the dumper when I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
It's very annoying that I'm unable to cut&paste the vehicle stats - from my phone at least ...
Much of the text is not selectable just so that if you use it with a phone/tablet you're not selecting text everywhere you touch. But the vehicle description on the summary page is specifically supposed to be selectable. On my desktop, for instance, I can start it up and select new car and copy and paste this:
Unnamed Design -- Subcompact, Extra-Heavy chassis, Heavy suspension, Medium power plant, 4 Standard tires, Driver, Plastic Armor: F1, L1, R1, B1, T1, U1, Cargo: [1 space, 760 lbs. @ Top Speed 120], Acceleration 10, Top Speed 147.5, HC 4, 2000 lbs., $2316
What kind of phone do you have and what browser are you using? Maybe there's some additional CSS needed to make it work right...
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:56 PM   #52
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammulder View Post
Much of the text is not selectable just so that if you use it with a phone/tablet you're not selecting text everywhere you touch.
I can't speak to everyone's setup (I've had Android phones and Android and Windows tablets) but I find it hard to accidentally select text as you have to hold or use the touch keyboard to start a text selection. Touching text typically does nothing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammulder View Post
What kind of phone do you have and what browser are you using? Maybe there's some additional CSS needed to make it work right...
I tried it tonight with my Nexus 5 (running Android 6) with the current releases of Chrome, Opera Mobile (set to download desktop sites), and Firefox. I couldn't select the vehicle description text in any of them.

Additionally, in Chrome and Opera with the phone in Landscape the bottom bar of buttons is offscreen and I couldn't scroll down to it. In Firefox you can scroll to it.

My main complaint trying to use the site on my phone is the zoom lockout; it'd be a lot easier to poke the right thing if I could zoom in a bit. Whatever setting Opera Mobile ignores with its "Force enable zoom" doesn't work here, unfortunately. (I wrote up a bug report for Opera on that one. :(

Zoom is also crazy in the desktop browsers; the text still resizes in Opera (35) and Firefox (44, both Windows) and generally results in the graphics drawing in the wrong place and shape.

Last edited by Parody; 02-23-2016 at 12:03 AM.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:06 AM   #53
Racer

I'm just using a basic Vodafone Android Smartphone . I'm on a budget , so can't afford much better . The two browsers I use are the inbuilt one & Chrome . Normally I use Chrome , but I'm unable to Zoom in - like Parody - so use the other browser to build vehicles . To view the Stock Vehicles , it's actually easier to use Chrome as the other often leaves stats of previous designs stuck on right side of screen !
Not sure what's causing this - could be my phone or could be the area's incredibly poor signal since October ? I can go & use local Library's terminals if they're not busy , but my health isn't too good at moment . Will probably be able to cut & paste on a PC as I've said .
I've been using school exercise books ( I'm not sure US term , but they're called Scribblers in Canada ) to design vehicles for 30+ years & can use Combat Garage to just double check . It is a bit of a pain to transfer the text as CB sets it out , but I often have time on my hands so no real problem .

Another thing I have noticed , is that resubmitting designs after editing - or when glaring mistakes are pointed out - they never seem to reappear on Stock Vehicles list ? It's happened three times now , but could just be a programming quirk ? *shrugs*

[Edit] Ah also noticed that Roll Cages on Cycles cost & weigh as though they're covering six Armour facings instead of the two they should . Otherwise the cage on a Heavy Cycle ( 180lbs ) would weigh more than those on Subs or Light Trikes ( both 150lbs ) !!

Last edited by Racer; 02-23-2016 at 03:15 AM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #54
Racer

I can cut & paste fine from Library's PCs . Two problems : 1 - I can't seem to tb able to sign into CB from said PC 2- Can't navigate design screen properly ; for vehicles with 10 Armour Facings at least .

I'll experiment for a bit & see if I can change things .
Old 02-23-2016, 02:02 PM   #55
juris

This is not a bug it's a feature. Once a design is published on the stock vehicle list there is no way to edit to correct mistakes. If you re-submit with the same name the 'new' design replaces the old. However, if you screw up and try to submit the same vehicle with a slightly different name it's not going to get published because then the stock vehicle list would be cluttered with your mistake(s). If you want to correct a mistake in a published design do so in the vehicle's text, which you can edit anytime.

Personally I think AM should give people the power to remove their own screwed up designs from the Stock Vehicle list... ;)

Also, screw ups are instructive. New players can look at the criticism and see what they should avoid doing. Many of the worst designs are published as a lesson on what NOT to do ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post

Another thing I have noticed , is that resubmitting designs after editing - or when glaring mistakes are pointed out - they never seem to reappear on Stock Vehicles list ? It's happened three times now , but could just be a programming quirk ? *shrugs*
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:30 AM   #56
Racer

Okay another slight bug : It doesn't appear that you can place a weapons magazine IN the turret with , rather than in vehicles body . I had 2 spaces left over on a Minibus & wanted to have a Four-Space Turret , mounting a Autocannon + mag . Combat Garage says No ... :-/
Just a bit inconvenient .

If would be nice to have a few more tags if possible ? My suggestions : Recon , Stealth & Amphibian

Last edited by Racer; 02-24-2016 at 12:44 AM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #57
Racer

Another bug found : If you accidentally select a Cupola for a Back Turret mount , it's impossible to later change it to a Turret or remove it . Extra weight of Gunner stays even if design is turned into MiniBus with no turrets , for some reason ?
Old 03-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #58
Pentalarc

A bit off topic, but just to let you know. I am back with verifying designs for the program. Sorry I was gone for so long, I was dealing/am dealing with some rather severe crises IRL.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #59
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentalarc View Post
A bit off topic, but just to let you know. I am back with verifying designs for the program. Sorry I was gone for so long, I was dealing/am dealing with some rather severe crises IRL.
Not sure if by this you mean that you are verifying designs from the books with the program, but if you are, feel free to reply to the unofficial errata thread. One of the posts at the top is devoted to collecting up design corrections from anywhere in 4E.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #60
juris

Are you just approving every submitted design? Have some standards, man ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentalarc View Post
juris is offline   Reply With Quote