Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-08-2017, 03:00 AM   #1151
Pomphis

Default Re: List Of your favorite Custom Perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by weso12 View Post
This is more penalizing the normal -20% penalty for only apply to one gender because a big part of Fashion's sense point value is granting yourself a reaction bonus, this functionally denies.
OTOH a group of 2+ PCs would only need to have a male and a female PC and spend a total of 2 CPs to effectively provide Fashion Sense to the entire group.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #1152
weso12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis View Post
OTOH a group of 2+ PCs would only need to have a male and a female PC and spend a total of 2 CPs to effectively provide Fashion Sense to the entire group.
Oh crap didn't realize that. I'll just rule that (Only on the opposite gender) is -40% for fashion sense to accommodate for the fact you aren't getting the beenfit of it. That makes it 3 points, meaning that a party would require 6 points accross board to get the +1 to entire party and fashion sense can give a +1 across the board to the entire party at base I feel that's fair.

If you still want the Men/Women's Fashion Expert Perk just rule that also includes the additional penalty that it doesn't apply to your party members only to NPCs (I can't think any possible flavor justification for that what ever) but that make it too weak even for a perk.
weso12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:13 PM   #1153
weso12

Also this perk should be better:
Raised by *Culture*
You have some familiarity with a certain outside your own because you were raised by someone of that culture however since you only have experience with one or two people of that culture it's still obvious you're an outsider, this reduces the penalty for cultural unfamiliarity to -2, you also have the benefit of knowing some the cultures language you can understand the language at Broken comprehension as well, you however can only speak very minimalistly not even at the level of broken, only basic worlds such as "mother", "hurry" etc, not enough to really hold a conversation.
Example: Someone raised by someone from the middle east but might have Raised by Middle Eastern will have the Cultural unfamiality penalty of -2 dealing with middle easterns and be able to understand Arabic at Broken comprehension and might be able to say a few words of arabic not enough to hold a conversation though

Designs Notes: This is basically Cultural Familiarity cut in more than half with language (Broken/None) cut in half only to understanding with an additional benefit of being able to speak minimally to balance out that you get -1 shaved off your point cost for cultural familiarity. Another solution is to reduce the cultural familiarity penalty to -1, and say you can only understand the language period, (You can't speak at all), this will result in being a little bit over the 1 point threshhold.
weso12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:47 PM   #1154
finn

Repeated Casting (Spell)
Healing spells have a cumulative -3 penalty when cast on the same subject within 24 hours. This perk reduces it to a cumulative -2 penalty for the chosen spell.

I introduced this perk to give some options to the only healer in the group. He took the perk alongside a level of Power Casting (Major Healing), which I ruled would allow up to 10 point of healing per casting even though the his Magery (and the setting Magery cap) was 3.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:49 PM   #1155
tbone

I already noted this elsewhere, but in case anyone missed it, I posted a big bunch of Standard Operating Procedure perks here:
http://www.gamesdiner.com/2017/08/new-sops

I have another batch of perks I hope to post soon. Perks have been a great addition to the game. I like low-powered PCs and games; for these, the Perks book is like a big catalog of really weak but fun superpowers. Maybe this huge thread will yield a Perks 2 book some day...

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:06 PM   #1156
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
I already noted this elsewhere, but in case anyone missed it, I posted a big bunch of Standard Operating Procedure perks here:
http://www.gamesdiner.com/2017/08/new-sops
Looks useful. Bookmarked. Thank you for sharing it.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:35 PM   #1157
Flyndaran
Untagged

I forgot about S.O.P.
It fits my Doppelganger perfectly. With Mind Probe: Memory Bank, he has access to the mimicked mind, but without S.O.P. he could easily not think to ask about uncommon issues that could come up.
Nowadays, he may need to know their mother's maiden name, for example.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #1158
jason taylor

Unusual Background: Latest Equipment

This came to me from re-perusing Cliffhangers. Pocket-knife is of course in the equipment table but the thought was that for a thirties American that would probably mean a Buck. Victorinox was not yet fashionable enough to be a household word. So while it would be easy to justify the hero having one(he picked one up in Europe and liked it)at the time, one does have to go to the trouble to justify it. It would be unusual background but only at a perk level.

The same could be said for any number of gadgets that are just on the market or otherwise rare in the hero's neck of the woods. If it is really hard to find the points can be pumped accordingly. For instance it is not to much of a twist to have someone somewhere working on a shoulder launched anti-tank missile but it is almost impossible to imagine a real person getting his hands on one whereas a Swiss Army Knife in the 1930's only requires someone to say,"I got this from a friend who has a friend of a friend who lives in Switzerland. Isn't it cool?" or whatever. The missile would have to be a MacGuffin, whereas the Knife could conceivably be part of the Hero's regular gear, even if a Buck was more probable then a real Victorinox.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:40 AM   #1159
WaterAndWindSpirit

Soundtrack:

Whether you have an implanted Ultra Tech psionic projector, a power armor with built-in speakers, or simply use magic, you can have music on auto play whenever you want to. Enjoy having badass heavy metal beats whenever you turn them on because you just got into a fist/gun fight, or the OST from your favorite Visual Novel whenever you're dating.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #1160
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
Soundtrack:

Whether you have an implanted Ultra Tech psionic projector, a power armor with built-in speakers, or simply use magic, you can have music on auto play whenever you want to. Enjoy having badass heavy metal beats whenever you turn them on because you just got into a fist/gun fight, or the OST from your favorite Visual Novel whenever you're dating.
It's a re-skin of Accessory (music player)?

The difficulty with a lot of proposed perks that are based on media (and I'm assuming this is inspired by some sort of "background music" idea) is that they don't actually do anything when you think about them. They look or sound cool in the media presentation, but are useless as far as the character in the setting is concerned, and don't come across to seem cool to the *players* in the (non-visual) media of RPGs either.

Tags
house rules, perks