Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-12-2017, 09:21 AM   #31
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Lockpicking

I find that in games, it's frequently desirable to close a lock again after picking it, so as to delay any discovery that someone's been inside. For combination locks, this is trivial. For keyed locks, it's clearly based on Lockpicking, but is it easier, or harder?

In the same way, if you need to open the same lock many times, it should get easier, but I'm not sure how quickly.

Opinions?
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #32
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Lockpicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I find that in games, it's frequently desirable to close a lock again after picking it, so as to delay any discovery that someone's been inside. For combination locks, this is trivial. For keyed locks, it's clearly based on Lockpicking, but is it easier, or harder?

In the same way, if you need to open the same lock many times, it should get easier, but I'm not sure how quickly.

Opinions?
Depends on the lock. In most 'cheaper' ones you just need the torsion bar, as the lock isn't designed to 'lock' in the unlocked position, that is the pins don't drop or set so you can just turn the lock back over to 'locked'.

In others, you need the key or to repick it. It should in theory be easier, as you have already felt out the pin settings, but I wouldn't give any Familiarity Bonuses until that lock has been picked several (say 10+) times.

And yeah, eventually time drops to almost as fast as you can use a key (but I'd attribute this to Taking Less Time and the penalties therein).

I had a buddy whose hobby was picking locks (don't ask) and he picked his house locks so many times that he stopped carrying a housekey, it was second nature to just pop the lock. And he did it about as fast you could do so with a key (but he was getting like +10 Familiarity bonus by then, he'd been picking that lock almost daily for over a year).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic, lockpicking, skill of the week