Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
b-dog

Default Banish spell should be modified

I think the Banish spell is pretty useless as written but with a modification it could be better suited to DF. Instead of resisting by the Will of the demon the spell should be resisted by Will + Hit Points/2. This way a demon could be Banished after it has been hacked down to size by the DF PCs and then the cleric gets the glory of Banishing the demon at the end of a fight with it. This encourages the PCs to whittle the demons power down while the cleric casts the final Banishment. So both the fighting PCs have something to do and the cleric gets a chance to shine too.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Banish spell should be modified

Hmm. Banish already takes five seconds to cast, so I have trouble imagining a scenario where the brawny types wouldn't be doing battle with the demon to protect the caster while they try to pull off the spell. But, the spell does specify that "certain powerful creatures are resistant or immune to Banish," so this could fall into the category of a type of extra resistance. Perhaps a class of demons is harder to banish. Or their Will is calculated by basescore + HP/2 (as you suggested).

Generally, I like this sort of thing. Adds to the mayhem!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:22 PM   #3
b-dog

I just think that having the demon get weaker at resisting a Banish spell when the demon is physically weakened makes it more fun. If gives the cleric an incentive to whack the demon with his mace until it is weak enough to be Banished. Plus other PCs can help reduce the demons hit points to low values and then the cleric has a real chance to shine.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #4
Dalin

Yeah, this does create a cool effect. At first, the demon laughs at the puny mortals who try to banish it. After an epic battle, however, as demonic ichor gushes from its gaping wounds, the cleric brings her holy symbol to bear over some of her fallen companions and the demon is sucked back to whence it came!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #5
b-dog

I could also see this effect work for turning undead. Maybe a vampire, wraith or lich might be able to resist being turned when at full strength but after being whacked by the PCs for a while and weakened then the cleric can pull out hi holy symbol and cause them to flee. If the undead is hurt badly enough then the turning might result in the undead bursting into flames.