Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-12-2020, 10:15 PM   #1
Hyrneson

Default Impotent Cleric

I DM & am using the Clerical Magic rules straight from Magic & Thaumatology. The problem I have is that the priest in the party is rather impotent in the spell casting area because he is limited to his personal fatigue (+5 as a campaign rule).
I don't want to turn him into a wizard in priest robes by giving him what effectively would be priest only powerstones (relics?) and have considered one use items, but the we're looking a variant ritual caster with fetishes in priest robes in doing that.

I don't want to switch to using Powers or other systems.

Anyone have any thoughts on how I can help this character be more effective?
Old 01-12-2020, 10:18 PM   #2
Donny Brook

Default Re: Impotent Cleric

Let him have a Holy Energy Reserve.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:18 PM   #3
zoncxs

how powerful is your wizard? A Cleric is similar to a wizard when it comes to casting, so giving the cleric a power item to store extra FP points to be only used for cleric spells is the best way to go.

Also look at what spells the cleric knows and at what spell level. Each spell should be at least 15.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:35 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrneson View Post
I DM & am using the Clerical Magic rules straight from Magic & Thaumatology.
Which ones? There are a lot of variants, so a page number is very helpful.

I mean if you were using the variant energy reserve on pg 53 of 2x(Will + Power Institute) you wouldn't be having this issue, so clearly you're not using that one...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:12 AM   #5
Astromancer

Quote:
I DM & am using the Clerical Magic rules straight from Magic & Thaumatology. The problem I have is that the priest in the party is rather impotent in the spell casting area because he is limited to his personal fatigue (+5 as a campaign rule).
I don't want to turn him into a wizard in priest robes by giving him what effectively would be priest only powerstones (relics?) and have considered one use items, but the we're looking a variant ritual caster with fetishes in priest robes in doing that.

Why not declare that certain spells and actions are more favored by the cleric's patron deity. And thus cost less energy.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:33 AM   #6
Pursuivant

If you're using Ritual Magic, it seems more logical for the priest to choose longer lasting "buff" spells which can be prepared before combat starts and just use melee weapons (or whatever) once combat starts.

Alternately, give the cleric the ability to "hang" pre-cast spells. Use the rules for Hang Spell (GURPS Magic, p. 128) as a base. You could give the character a relic which allows several pre-cast spells to be "hung" until needed. That gives a sort of AD&D/Vanceian magic system where the character has to prepare some of his spells in advance and can only cast them a limited number of times.

A third option is to give the cleric the ability to regain FP more quickly, allowing him to quickly recharge his spell-casting abilities. It could be the actual Recover Energy spell (GURPS Magic, p. 89) or an advantage based on Fit/Very Fit. That lets him cast lots of minor spells while not being able to cast major spells or maintain more than a few spells at a time.

As for his personal dysfunction, there are secret Body Control/Healing spells which can help. :)
Pursuivant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:00 AM   #7
TGLS

Quote:
The problem I have is that the priest in the party is rather impotent in the spell casting area because he is limited to his personal fatigue (+5 as a campaign rule).

This would be switching systems a little, but have you considered switching over to Threshold Magery? Sure, it might seem like a big switch, but the only thing that really changes is that Fatigue is no longer a limiter on magic, instead there's a limit, and if you cross it bad things happen. You would plausibly want to change it from generalized nastiness to angry gods, but it would give the priest a different feel.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #8
lvalero

I also recommend threshold magic. It is what I am using in my DF. Instead of spending "energy" the cleric accrues "pride" when casting spells. When the pride is greater than certain threshold bad things happens.

Moreover the deity can charge additional "pride" if the spell is used not in line the deity wishes. And viceversa, the deity can "clean" some (or all) pride if the cleric is very aligned or if a important battle of the god is in place.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:02 AM   #9
Culture20

Sacrifices. Thaumatology p54. Very cleric-themed. If the particular religion frowns upon animal sacrifices (most ancient religions required them), then there's also the potential to sacrifice inanimate objects.

In one of my current games, anyone can sacrifice inanimate objects (diamond dust is popular), but if more portable and less valuable power is desired, animals or sentients can be used. The cost of using living beings in my campaign is: when the spell is cast using energy sacrificed from living beings, roll 3d6 against each being's IQ. If the roll matches or is less than their IQ, then the being's energy warps the spell in the interest of the being. Also, sacrificing sentients is against the law. This makes dumb beasts common sacrifices, and usually with non-combat spells. A PC in my campaign just recently made a huge gamble and sacrificed a kobold to power a combat spell against other kobolds. First, he had to kill the kobold (not just injure below 0 HP), then make the ritual roll, then cast the spell. Luckily, the kobold spirit failed its 50/50 roll, otherwise, it would have targeted the party.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:56 AM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
I don't want to turn him into a wizard in priest robes by giving him what effectively would be priest only powerstones (relics?)
Well, do it anyway.

Look you've already chosen to use the same basic mechanics as a wizard. That being the case the non-cosmetic ways to distinguish between a clerical magician and an arcane one str:

1. The holy man's powers fail not when he's in a no mana area but when his god is displeased.

2. His spells have no prerequisite chain.

3. He may be able to do specific spells no wizard can do.

Other than that, you should just accept that the differences are cosmetic and play that up. So his relic can only recharge in a holy place to his god or by him actively praying over it. And it doesn't look like a wizardly power stone.

Although actually one approach is to deny wizards power stones. Instead make them rely on potions to recharge.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 01-13-2020 at 02:59 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
artifacts, clerical magic, holy, priest, relics