Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-27-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
Maz

Default [powers Affliction] Stun-locking?

I have somehow used affliction wrong for all these years.

Here is how I now read affliction.
If you hit; target makes a HT+1 check at a penalty equal to your Affliction level.
If they fail they are stunned. Each turn they roll against HT to recover at the same penalty as the initial roll.

This means if I buy an level 11 affliction they are at -10 to that HT roll. So most will never make it, ever. They just stay stunned then?
And no this does not have to be expensive It's quite easy to get Affliction down to 2 pts per level.

Here is how I mistakenly always played affliction.
If you hit; target makes a HT+1 check at a penalty equal to your Affliction level.
If they fail they are stunned for a number of seconds equal to margin of failure. After which they may roll each turn to to recover, at a penalty equal to the initial penalty, but at +1 cumulative bonus per turn.

I have no idea how I came to that conclusion. It seems to be a weird mix of the Surprise stun-rules and the "equal to margin of error" part of how Disadvantages on affliction works.

Anyway. My question is now twofold:
First: Is "how I read it now" the correct way? If so, isn't it problematic?

And number two: How can I modify affliction to work as I thought it did (as I quite like that way).

Actually I have a third question. Does "how I read it now" mean that how well I make an attack roll for an affliction with malediction, just gives a penalty to the initial stun roll, but not to further rolls to recover?
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: [powers Affliction] Stun-locking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I have somehow used affliction wrong for all these years.

Here is how I now read affliction.
If they fail they are stunned. Each turn they roll against HT to recover at the same penalty as the initial roll.

This means if I buy an level 11 affliction they are at -10 to that HT roll. So most will never make it, ever. They just stay stunned then?
And no this does not have to be expensive It's quite easy to get Affliction down to 2 pts per level.
This way. But they succeed on a 3 or 4.
The second way is an optional method using the modifier Based on MoS.

Quote:
Actually I have a third question. Does "how I read it now" mean that how well I make an attack roll for an affliction with malediction, just gives a penalty to the initial stun roll, but not to further rolls to recover?
Maledictions work like spells so Rule of 16 applies. p. B349 that affects initial success but the HT roll to recover still has a penalty (though based on MoS)

I have always seen the initial roll as a Resistance roll with Rule of 16 applying, but might be a common house rule as the book is a bit confusing.
It says this first.... "If you hit, your victim gets a HT+1 roll to resist. " Rule of 16 would apply here.
Later on though..."If the victim makes his HT roll, he is unaffected. If he fails, he suffers the effects of the Affliction." never noticed the change in wording before.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 11-27-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:13 PM   #3
Plane

Default Re: [powers Affliction] Stun-locking?

Quote:
Here is how I mistakenly always played affliction.
If they fail they are stunned for a number of seconds equal to margin of failure. After which they may roll each turn to to recover, at a penalty equal to the initial penalty, but at +1 cumulative bonus per turn.

I have no idea how I came to that conclusion. It seems to be a weird mix of the Surprise stun-rules and the "equal to margin of error" part of how Disadvantages on affliction works.
The "Backlash" limitation (GURPS Power-Ups 8 pg 11) uses language like that:
If you get a HT roll to resist, and the effects last for minutes (seconds) equal to your margin of failure, halve this.
It's based upon various Affliction effects, so maybe this influenced your thinking?

Quote:
And number two: How can I modify affliction to work as I thought it did (as I quite like that way).
B34 has Incapacitation work for MoS minutes, so you could reduce that to seconds (reduced duration) you just need to select "reduced duration" as a limited enhancement (not for the overall advantage) and then buy back "Stunning" with a +10% enhancement which takes effect after that.

B428 "In addition to their other effects, you’re effectively stunned". Closest might be "Daze", which is in the cheap tier with hallucination/retching.

It's sort of unclear to me if you can active defend (as intro implies) or if "you can do nothing" means no defenses. The literal "Do Nothing" maneuver does allow them so I'm not sure that phrase necessarily forbids it...
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote