Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: Affording racial templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
That makes the template give you something you wanted anyway, but you're still paying the full point cost of the template.
I think it's a matter of perspective. "My character needs to be a Thief with DX 16 and Combat Reflexes" - if that's the case, then it doesn't matter if you're a cat-folk thief or not. It might as well be part of the non-discretionary-spending points, and to you Thief in fact only has the 7 discretionary points in the Skills list to play with. The fact that Cat-Folk effectively costs 5 points (and Elf costs 0 points) is very important.

OTOH if you need a barbarian with Discriminatory Smell and +2 HT, you really only have 14 discretionary points to work with. Dwarf, Half-Ogre, and Half-Orc cost 10 points each, and Halfling is a net -10 (although not an actual disadvantage, it's just super-cheap, and a questionable buy)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:09 PM   #12
ArchonShiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I think it's a matter of perspective. "My character needs to be a Thief with DX 16 and Combat Reflexes" - if that's the case, then it doesn't matter if you're a cat-folk thief or not. It might as well be part of the non-discretionary-spending points, and to you Thief in fact only has the 7 discretionary points in the Skills list to play with. The fact that Cat-Folk effectively costs 5 points (and Elf costs 0 points) is very important.

OTOH if you need a barbarian with Discriminatory Smell and +2 HT, you really only have 14 discretionary points to work with. Dwarf, Half-Ogre, and Half-Orc cost 10 points each, and Halfling is a net -10 (although not an actual disadvantage, it's just super-cheap, and a questionable buy)
I think you’re basically saying that discretionary points that you have an intended use for are no longer discretionary. They’re still to your discretion, it’s just that you have already made a decision.

Unless I misunderstand, you’re confusing synergy with making a race use up less character points.

Unless we’re talking about a major breakpoint the profession just needs to hit, I guess.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:31 PM   #13
Anthony

Incidentally, there's also the problem of overlapping disadvantages. The way it works for social stigma is specifically spelled out on Adventurers p66, but if I make an elf druid, do I have to take -20 points from the first disadvantage list (which includes sense of duty(nature)), or can I only take -5 points from the first list and make up for it with either fewer advantages or more disadvantages from the second list?
Old 03-28-2018, 06:59 PM   #14
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Incidentally, there's also the problem of overlapping disadvantages. The way it works for social stigma is specifically spelled out on Adventurers p66, but if I make an elf druid, do I have to take -20 points from the first disadvantage list (which includes sense of duty(nature)), or can I only take -5 points from the first list and make up for it with either fewer advantages or more disadvantages from the second list?
Pg 42, Understanding Racial Templates, sub paragraph Disadvantages.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 07:48 AM   #15
GalaCollie77

From this thread, am I correct in understanding that the profession template should be purchased before the race? Or the race first then the class?
GalaCollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 09:22 AM   #16
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaCollie77 View Post
From this thread, am I correct in understanding that the profession template should be purchased before the race? Or the race first then the class?
Yes, the "Class" template is going to be 250 points, which is the standard point amount. The Racial template is bought from out of those class points.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 10:01 AM   #17
Dalin

Quote:
See "Buying a Racial Template" on page 42 of Adventurers. Basically, you buy the racial package with your advantage budget plus quirks and possibly discretionary skills if necessary.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 10:31 AM   #18
sjmdw45

Quote:
It doesn't really matter, but if you pick race first, then when you pick a profession you should immediately figure out how much of your profession budget you have left.

E.g. if I decide to play a half-ogre [20], then decide to play a wizard, I know that I've only got 10/30 points left to buy advantages, and my IQ is also at -1.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 10:57 AM   #19
Harald387

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
E.g. if I decide to play a half-ogre [20], then decide to play a wizard, I know that I've only got 10/30 points left to buy advantages, and my IQ is also at -1.
And it's entirely possible that your best 'spell' is 'hit it with a club'.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 02:51 PM   #20
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
And it's entirely possible that your best 'spell' is 'hit it with a club'.
"Grunk cast sleep on enemy head. Super effective."
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote